SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#305503 - 02/25/02 10:31 AM Newbie in senquencing needs help!!!
rccgg Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello! I bought a keyboard (Yamaha S30) a couple of days ago and I tried to record tracks on my computer (Windows 98) with XG Works lite (it was in the box). I understood how to record as many tracks as I want, but they always have the same sound. For instance, if I record a piano track (No 1) and a bassline (No 2), at the playback both tracks have the same sound. What should I do?

Thank you very much

------------------

#305504 - 02/28/02 09:29 AM Re: Newbie in senquencing needs help!!!
emilzd Offline

Loc: Croatia
Quote:
Originally posted by rccgg:
Hello! I bought a keyboard (Yamaha S30) a couple of days ago and I tried to record tracks on my computer (Windows 98) with XG Works lite (it was in the box). I understood how to record as many tracks as I want, but they always have the same sound. For instance, if I record a piano track (No 1) and a bassline (No 2), at the playback both tracks have the same sound. What should I do?

Thank you very much

Hello!
My name is Emil and I live in Zadar on the Adriatic coast of Croatia.I can help you a little, but most of the work is up to you.
It is not that simple at the beginning. Each midi channel has to have its own instrument definition number for the corresponding instrument. For example on channel 1 - for the piano the instrument number can be 11, channel 2 can be for bass number 36, ch.3 - organ 18, drums are usually on channel 10 and so on. You should carefully read the instructions for your XG lite as well as some midi manuals.A good start is to load and play a general midi file and see what it is made off. Don't take a complicated song, listen to the whole song, then mute some channels and listen just to one or two of them. If you have all the instruments separated into midi channels, at the beggining of each first bar there are details about midi events(notes, panoramas, effects, volumes, etc).You just have to find where they are visible in the sequencing program (XG lite, Cubase or any other).I reccomend sticking to one program which you will master very soon and don't waste your time exploring other programs.Instead of that you can play and compose and record. Another question is if you have an external synth conected to the computer or you just want to use the sounds from your soundcard.
Good luck, lot of patience and take care of your eyes!!!

#305505 - 02/28/02 08:10 PM Re: Newbie in senquencing needs help!!!
Mosiqaar Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA
By no means am I a recording expert, but to sum up what Emil tried to tell you is when you record on different tracks, if you are using the same channel number....even though you are using different instrument sounds on each track, it will send the sound of the channel selected. So if by default your selection is channel 1 lets say, then you put piano on track 1 and bass on track2, but channel 1 is selected for both tracks, and you are having your sequencer software play off of channel 1 only, then both tracks will play the piano sound. Finally, each track has to have its own channel...I hope I helped you rather than confused you!

Good luck

#305506 - 02/28/02 10:31 PM Re: Newbie in senquencing needs help!!!
WS Offline

I'm not familiar with the software but they are all pretty much the same. You have a track view that shows volume, key, port, bank, channel, patch, etc...just use GM bank for an example. First, you should try to play a demo that uses GM bank and different instruments. If your system is set up correctly, it will automatically, put the right instruments in the right tracks. You should have MIDI DEVICES somewhere on your menu...this where you set up the Port. If you have several instruments, they would use different ports. If you have one instrument, make sure it is listed. You need to be playing in MULTI mode (or whatever your synth calls it...read the manual). This allows the different instruments to playback. It sounds like you are not in Multi mode and that is why it is only playing back one sound.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online