SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#304977 - 12/02/05 12:24 PM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI George,
I think I have a follow up question.
First of all, I am a player and not a vocalist. My mics are here in the studio for the convenience of vocalists that come in here.
One of the mics that seems to be a favorite is Audio Technica Pro 22. It has both Hi Z and Low Z and off positions. It has both XlR cable on both ends or another cable with Just xlr on one end and 1/4 inch plug on the other end.
the question is:
would this mike benefit from this transformer or is it built into the mic?
Get well soon
Bebop

#304978 - 12/02/05 12:35 PM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
some mics are dual impedence. You can use the positions called hiZ with a normal high impedence (1/4" on one end) and the mic will work at max levels. The only time it would benefit you to use the low Z input is if the mic input on the mixer or keyboard accepts low impedence signals. The Yamaha keyboards do not! The benefit would be that if the Yamaha's had a balanced XLR mic pre built it, then the low Z level could be cleaner and with more gain, but since this is not the case, a hi z mic or low z mic with line transformer would both be the same. Using a low to high z transformer just turns the loz z mic into a high z mic with more gain.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#304979 - 12/03/05 11:26 AM Re: anyone know if the mic input on the Tyros 2 is unbalanced or balanced?
DerfMuisc Offline

Loc: rohnert park, california, usa
As per Geroge's suggestion, I'm trying the transformer thing, and I believe it has boosted the signal, improving the sound. However, I'm still not happy with the vocalizer (kind of tinny with too much sibilance). These are the mic settings I'm using. . .EQ lo 800, -4, EQ mid 1.2, -4, EQ
high 1.6, +2, Noise Gate on, -45,
Compressor off. My mic if an EV767. I'd like to hear what others are doing. Thanks, DerfM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online