SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#304677 - 03/22/06 03:41 PM Please read: IMPORTANT Discovery re: User Styles called up via Reg
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've finally figured out "how" Yamaha Tyros/PSR keyboard Registration Bank (RGT) retrieve (call up) associated: Style, Voice, Multipad, and Lyric Text (.txt) files.

I've recently discovered a terrific (free downloadable) Windows utility program called "File Alyzer" which allows one to view the content details of a Yamaha Registration Bank (RGT) file. I've learned that, not only are the associated (style, voice, multipad, lyric text) file 'NAMES', but the FILE PATH (to where that file is located) is saved in Reg as well. This 'file path' also includes the specific device drive letter. This means that whatever associated files are called up via Registration must REMAIN STORED in a specific location (device location, and folder name hierarchy) in order for the Reg to successfully retrieve them. Because of this, succesfully using Registration Bank Files on any other keyboard than the one the Registration Bank file was originally created on, will be challenging at best.

FileAlyzer (Free) : Download HERE

Thru the above "File Alyzer" software utility program, I've now discovered the 'drive letter' Yamaha has assigned for each of the following Tyros2's file storage device locations:

User Memory: Drive letter - C
Hard Drive: Drive letter - E
USB1 & USB2: Drive letter - I

I've also discovered that Yamaha assigned Tyros1's floppy drive as drive letter "A", the PSR3000's card as drive E, and PSR3000's USB as drive letter "F".

In addition: Thanks to the FREE German Yamaha arr-keyboard utility program called "Drive-Convert", it's now possible to re-assign the remote device's "drive letter" to which a specific Registration (1-8) looks for its associated style, voice, mulitpad, or text file. It's important to note though, that upon device drive letter reassignment, that the associated style etc files must reside in the "root directory" of that device.

Drive-Convert (Free) : Download HERE

The above "Drive-Convert" program however is limited to re-assigning the following drive letter locations on/or between ONLY the current model Yamaha keyboards: Tyros2 and PSR3000. Unfortunately it's not possible with "Drive-Convert" to convert from the Tyros1's floppy drive (A:/) to Tyros2's USB (I:/).

From PSR3000 Card (E:/) to USB (F:/)
From PSR3000 USB (F:/) to Card (E:/)

From Tyros2 HD (E:/) to Tyros2 USB (I:/)
From Tyros2 USB (I:/) to Tyros2 HD (E:/)

From PSR3000 Card (E:/) to Tyros2 USB (I:/)
From PSR3000 USB (F:/) to Tyros2 USB (I:/)

Ok, from what I've learned above, I've now CONCLUDED (if I want to ever use my REGS on another KB other than my Tyros2 alone) that I NEED (on my Tyros2) to store ALL custom styles, voices, multi-pads, or text files (which will be utilized in registrations) in the "ROOT DIRECTORY" of the USB (I:/) drive. I hope my posting will benefit others here as well.

Scott

#304678 - 03/22/06 04:45 PM Re: Please read: IMPORTANT Discovery re: User Styles called up via Reg
MrEd Offline

There's that famous investigator, Scott (Sherlock) Yee, at it again.

Thats some good detective work Scott.

Thanks for the info, the links, and the conclusion as to what needs to be done.

Ed

#304679 - 03/22/06 07:57 PM Re: Please read: IMPORTANT Discovery re: User Styles called up via Reg
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Scott. Does your above comments mean the OS Update on PSR3000 which has to be done from the Smart Media Card could not be re-assigned to load in from a USB Flash Drive ?.

#304680 - 03/22/06 09:14 PM Re: Please read: IMPORTANT Discovery re: User Styles called up via Reg
Scottyee Offline

Hi Graham, in theory yes, but I'm not sure I'd risk trying this with as critical of a thing as an OS Update. Perhaps Steve Deming (Yamaha USA) or Steve Marsden (Yamaha UK) might be able to provide better insight on this. - Scott

#304681 - 03/22/06 09:37 PM Re: Please read: IMPORTANT Discovery re: User Styles called up via Reg
Scottyee Offline

Ed, thanks for the thumbs up. - Scott

#304682 - 03/27/06 08:31 AM Re: Please read: IMPORTANT Discovery re: User Styles called up via Reg
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Thank You Very much Scott.....this info in very usefull, as a player that use the registrations, I knew that I most have my user styles and registrations in the same folder, other wise it will call only the voicing but no the style.....and so on....this will allow us to manage our registrations much better.
Thank you again.

#304683 - 03/27/06 01:10 PM Re: Please read: IMPORTANT Discovery re: User Styles called up via Reg
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
It is not necessary to have the Regs and Styles in the same folder. All that is essential is when you save a Style from any source, into a Reg, do not move the Style, rename it, change the icon etc. Obviously does not apply to Preset Styles. Walter.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online