SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#304264 - 04/29/07 09:57 AM Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi folks , has anyone tried to convert Roland styles to play on the Yamaha T2 ?

I would be interested to know if they will convert successfully .

Regards .........Giovanni

#304265 - 04/30/07 02:33 PM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Giovanni,
they may convert better than Technics styles, depends on whether they've used just the gm/gs sounds & drums or whether they've used some of their more unusual drumkits.
ie I have some old VA7 styles where the drums won't convert correctly. The drum kits aren't gm/gs mapping, & Emc makes a mess of them.

I was half tempted to buy one of the Technote Roland style disks , to see if it would convert to Yamaha. Technote have got a lot of my old favourite Technics styles now available in Roland format. Just not sure if they would convert as well as one would hope.

May get out some of my old roland styles & see how well they convert to my psr.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Giovanni:
[B]Hi

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#304266 - 05/01/07 11:15 AM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
Giovanni Offline

Hi rikki , i spoke to Technote on monday morning .
they told me the reason they have all the roland styles is because Roland commissioned them to do all the conversion work !!
i asked if there was anypoint in buying the roland converted styles and the man said NO !!!As I would have the same problems that i have encountered with trying to convert Technics to the Yamaha format .
they will require a lot of tweaking !!!!

regards ...........Giovanni

#304267 - 05/01/07 02:26 PM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Giovanni,
I emailed them also.
The response I got was that they wouldn't be doing them for Yamaha, not worthwhile.
That explains why they obviously did them for Roland. Dissapointing. I may have to buy a Roland if I want the old technics styles back. haahaa
Even though I quite enjoy style editing/converting , it would be a daunting prospect to try & individually edit all my old Technics styles. They still wouldn't sound as good as the original.

I did try & convert some of my old G800 styles across. Possibly 1 out of 10 may work without MAJOR tweaking & editing.
The drums didn't convert well.

best wishes
Rikki
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#304268 - 05/02/07 09:46 AM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
Giovanni Offline

Hi Rikki , I've sent you a copy of the e mail I've just received from Emc style software !
sounds promising ??

thanks for all your help ,it is appreciated

Regards .........Giovanni

#304269 - 05/02/07 11:35 AM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The conversion problems is not the fault of Roland GM/GS maps or EMC software..Take a look at the Yamaha..The drums are the problem..they always have used the wrong GM layout...ask anyone that had to live with a handclap instead of a snare brush..

#304270 - 05/02/07 02:48 PM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Fran,
Giovanni was originally hoping to convert his Technics Glenn Miller disk to Tyros format. The current version of EMC doesn't do a great job. One reason being, that Technote ( the style creators) used a number of "user sounds" in these styles. EMC seems to default to piano when it can't find the correct sound. It takes ages trying to work out the correct sounds & try & fix up the style.
We then discovered that Technote had put out their Technics range of style disks in Roland format including the Glenn Miller disk. Unfortunately according to Technote, their Roland range would probably would have the same conversion problems as trying to convert the Technics range ie wouldn't get a perfect duplicate without lots of editing.

Actually converting Roland to GM to Yamaha XG should be easier than vice versa. And yes it's a real pain when arrangers don't use gm/gs drum & instrument mapping. Even my ex VA7 had some non GM/GS drum Kits.

EMC has had some sort of an ugrade called Styleworks XT. Haven't been able to get details on it as the website is still defaulting to Styleworks 2000 info.
Be great if you could get Klaus to update his website. Luv to find out what's new in this version.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran Carango:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#304271 - 05/03/07 09:44 AM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
Giovanni Offline

Hi Folks , Fran , thanks for your comments they are most welcome .

Rikki , thanks for your great help and interest and for explaining the problem with the present emc prog. trying to convert Technics to Yamaha T2 .

Like a lot of people I've got lots of Technics style disks and I think they are excellent and in most cases really touch the "spot" so to speak !!

I've personally not heard better "song specific" glenn miller styles from any other make of keyboard !!
The Technote style for "you don't have to say you love me " the late great Dusty springfield hit has no style equal !!
It's the same with the Patriotic styles "land of hope and Glory " and "rule Britannia "

They bring the house down!!! so to speak on certain gigs !! and that is the Yard stick that I use on making a judgement .

This level and quality of style is not to be found on the T2 and the Yamaha Company are missing out in not having this type of style available .it is a great pity !!

It goes without saying that the T2 has a hell of a lot going for it and it sounds very good !! and it has in my opinion many advantages , I don't need to list them because people know about it .

It is the only Keyboard /Expander that really works well with my Concerto Da200 digital/acoustic /midi accordion (I'll not bore you all with the details )

The icing on the cake for me, would be to be able to buy the styles I require from Yamaha / or successfully convert the Technics styles to Yamaha using style conversion soft ware .

Oh yes I'm spoilt for choice. I will never sell my Kn7000 !!!

Regards to you all ........Giovanni

#304272 - 05/03/07 02:05 PM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Giovanni,
it's a real pity Yamaha don't do the same thing as Roland did, commission Technote to create their styles range for the psrs.

I think quite a few of the Technics members have switched to or added a Yamaha keyboard.
Quite frankly , if I'd realized Technote had created their styles for Roland ( not quite sure which models they work on,) I may well have bought a Roland keyboard instead of a Yamaha. I do miss the Technics styles. They actually have a G70 data card with 320 styles for 99uk pounds.
http://www.technote.com/retail/product_list.asp?CatID=36&SuppProd=&Page=ALL
best wishes
Rikki

[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#304273 - 05/12/07 09:46 AM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have about a hundred or so G 70 styles I am playing on my tyros 2 and I think most of them sound better then the Tyros 2 styles. That is why I have ordered the Roland e 80.
Bebop

#304274 - 05/13/07 03:26 AM Re: Convesrion of Roland styles to Yamaha T2
Craig_UK Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Bebop.
If you think the G70 styles played back in a T2 sound better than the internal ones, don't order an E80, just get a copy of the E80 styles converted to the T2 and save yourself some money

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online