SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#304071 - 11/24/06 01:49 PM Calling all Organ players!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
This may sound a little odd, lol...

First let me state I have never professed to be an organ player. I have limited enthusiasm for them in general (sorry) and have always felt more at home behind an acoustic piano or a synth/arranger kb.

The ironic twist to this is that my grandparents owned and operated their own music store, The CC Mellor's Company in Pittsburgh for years and years. My Grandmother was a popular organist in her day and my father has taught piano & organ for over 50 years. I remember one day my Dad took me into the store to listen to "some ball player" play one of the new Hammonds they got in...turned out to be Detroit Tigers pitcher Denny McLain, who was the last big leaguer to win 30 games in a season...something unlikely to happen again given the role of set up men and closer's in today's game.

(No, my Dad never taught me...he was quite rigid in my learning the Classical approach to the keyboard, I had other ideas, lets say...)

ANYWAY-

The new organ sounds on my T2 sound so great, I think its time for me make a concerted effort to become more friendly with them. The right hand doesn't seem to be a problem...I generally play melody driven riffs...The confounding part to me lies in my left hand. I use full arranger mode...so its neccessary for me to actually play the chord changes-usually with my left hand. 9 out of 10 times, when I play a chord with my left hand...its obnoxiously muddy and in too low a register, IMO.

I've tried playing the changes with my right, but its restricting and doesn't feel or sound natural at all...

I've tried playing the chord VERY LIGHTLY...just enough to fire the right chords from the T2...that sounds the best so far but I'm guessing its not the best way to do this.

So...you organ guys & gals...what might you suggest? I'm guessing the answer will be to play my RH chords in as high a mid-range section of the kb as I can...

Like I said...this is a new direction for me...and so far...it sounds like I'm playing with my toes, lol...

Thanks in advance-

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-24-2006).]

#304072 - 11/24/06 02:14 PM Re: Calling all Organ players!
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill turn off the automatic stuff ..you don't need it if you have a decent organ...play walking lines and rhythmic left hand parts..No real organ player wants that other stuff in the way.....It starts to sound...well,,,organish

#304073 - 11/24/06 02:18 PM Re: Calling all Organ players!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Bill turn off the automatic stuff ..you don't need it if you have a decent organ...play walking lines and rhythmic left hand parts..No real organ player wants that other stuff in the way.....It starts to sound...well,,,organish

Fran-I should have been more clear...I'd like to start using more organ sounds as the main instrument with my T2. I use song registrations...so I need "that other stuff" you know?

#304074 - 11/25/06 01:02 AM Re: Calling all Organ players!
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Bill

I am more of an organist than piano. Most organists play their bottom keyboard set a lot softer than the melody.

I think your best bet is to play it like it is 2 keyboards using a split at F#2. Then you can have the organ voice (or any other voice for that matter) set to sound softer and an octave higher than what those keys would have been in the "real" world. It will then sound like you are playing around middle C just like on an organ even while your right hand may be playing around middle C.

Again since I'm more organ than piano, I play the piano and all sounds this way. If you don't jump around alot in your left hand and play all chords in one basic area like F-F the most taught or C-C, probably the 2nd most used, but to me easier and more logical way to play,then you will find this an easy way to go.

If you get used to it, you may dump full keyboard mode, it allows a lot of very nice left hand voices to be introduced or sometimes to have no left hand voice on for some other good effects.

Hope this give you a couple of ideas to try.

Scott

#304075 - 11/25/06 04:10 AM Re: Calling all Organ players!
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
The other option is add a second low cost keyboard to make into a two manual. You can then set it up as an organ and even add pedals if you wish.

#304076 - 11/26/06 01:56 AM Re: Calling all Organ players!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My opinion; For my style playing and because I have been in love with the organ for many years, I like to have the left hand playing a sound that compliments the right. Trumpet in the right, saxes on the left – Saxes on the right – brass on the left – Flute on the right, guitar on the left.

My reasons for using a left hand sound;
1-One hand plays against the other, I can do more with a song, I have added another live sound. A sustained chord or a chord playing chords in the same manor as a guitar player would.
2-My left hand feeds my right hand. It sets up a path for my right hand. In reality both hands are working together. I find if I am not using my left hand my right hand can not improvise as well.
3-There’s the keyboard and then there’s my right and left hand. My right and left hands are the only real thing that’s going on – the keyboard does what it is programmed to do. Using a sound in both hands brings me closer to a live sound – less mechanical.
4-A big one for me – I have played pro guitar for most of my professional career, I loved backing a singer or a solo instrument, I added to their ability to perform. One great reason for me to use left hand sounds.

I set the volume for the left hand differently depending on the style of music, the volume is always just under my right hand.

IMHO, John C.

#304077 - 11/27/06 06:49 AM Re: Calling all Organ players!
Bill in Dayton Offline

A followup to my original question...

After spending a little more time with my new T2 last night I discovered that Yamaha must have had me in mind when it set up its organs.

What I discovered is that they've set the lower third of the keyboard to NOT PLAY the organ voice that's been selected. So...I can chord away to my hearts content with no muddiness at all while I play melody/riff with my RH.

BRILLIANT!

Bill

#304078 - 12/04/06 02:36 PM Re: Calling all Organ players!
bill reed Offline

Loc: edinburgh
hi bill
one other think thats difrent is that i always used the bass peddles to drive the changes in the auto rhythem and i used 6th and 7th for cords in my left hand +the bassnote. on the keyboard without the bass peddles it never sounds the same as my organ. and i never use 6th cords as it sounds off.
bill

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online