SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#304031 - 11/15/05 11:00 AM Extra $$$ forT2 really worth it?
tarkington Offline

Loc: Fontana, CA, USA
Hi, I'm new to this forum so go easy on me. I wanted input from new Tyros 2 owners about the cost of switching from a Tyros 1. There is suddenly a market of used Tyros available for between $1600 to $2000 (ongoing eBay auctions). Until the Tyros 2 came out the Tyros 1 was the keyboard of my dreams for basic songwriting and laying backing tracks to solo over...but really too expensive.

Now I've got the money but I'm stuck on the mega $ jump from spending let's say $1800 for a used Tyros 1 or spending another $1700 for a Tyros 2. I know many improvements are there but overall really $1700 better? I mean for the extra $1700 I could own a 61 key Yamaha Motif ES or Korg Triton Extreme or Roland Fantom X to supplement the overall sonic mix.
Am I'm colliding 2 different worlds or what?

#304032 - 11/15/05 12:54 PM Re: Extra $$$ forT2 really worth it?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
My advice is keep your Tyros and with the large amount of money you would have to spend to part-ex for a T2...treat yourself to an additional keyboard. A korg PA50 would only eat into half the part-exchange money...there are many other good options.

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 11-15-2005).]

#304033 - 11/15/05 02:30 PM Re: Extra $$$ forT2 really worth it?
tarkington Offline

Loc: Fontana, CA, USA
Actually I’ve never owned a Tyros but was able to share the use of my friend’s (very successfully) on some song writing sessions. I’m now considering: get a Tyros 2 with all the advanced features or buy a used Tyros 1 and save money for another keyboard later.

I’m sure when a Tyros 2 becomes available in my area to test play, I’ll know better. Until then I was hoping for feedback from the new Tyros 2 owners: would you buy an original Tyros for $1800 or believe the new Tyros 2 is really worth the double expense?

#304034 - 11/16/05 05:02 AM Re: Extra $$$ forT2 really worth it?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi tarkington,

If I could only have ONE keyboard, it would be the T2. I've sold my T1, I have a Motif ES 88 which I am selling, and my trusty Triton Extreme 76. The Triton is my goto board for live gigs along with the Tyros. I use the Tyros the same as you do, basic songwriting, backing tracks, comping, and One man band entertaining. Having the arranger function with the killer styles and voices is a very compelling thing. All the time I owned the Tyros, I would play it every day.

The Motif was very overkill for me. I don't do a heck of a lot of sampling and sequencing, so I'm selling that. I replaced my Motif with a Yamaha P-250 Digital Piano, and I am now awaiting the Tyros 2.

If you can scrape up the money, you will not be disappointed with the T2 for years to come.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online