SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#303497 - 03/21/06 08:36 AM VA-76 zip disk problems
ssb Offline

Hi,
I'm really new in this FORUM. I found you on Internet, and I'm asking for your help, please.
I have a Roland VA-76 keyboard, and a problem with my ZIP drive (maybe a couple of problems).
1) sometimes the keyboard is not able to read the zip disk.
2) sometimes when I return from the Lyrics screen to the "directory" screen, I see a lot of un-understandable chars (strange chars) instead of the normal titles, names...
3) when I try to Format a zip disk, it always starts to show the increasing percentage of completion quickly varying from 0% to 100% and again from 0 to 100 (couple of seconds is the elapsed time between 0 and 100) lot of times... without format the zip disk.
Please, does anybody have a clue of wich kinf of problem(s) could be on my keyboard. (I had the 2.0 OS previously installed, then I installed 2.1 OS, but nothing changed on this matter).

I thank in advance every one of you who could give some ideas (just before to bring the keyboard to a ROLAND assistance center).

Bye.
Ciao, from Italy (Milan).

[This message has been edited by ssb (edited 03-21-2006).]

#303498 - 03/21/06 09:31 AM Re: VA-76 zip disk problems
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
ssb, have you tried another zip disk?
If you have the same problem with another disk, it is most likely your zip drive..

Odds are, you probably have a errored disk.

Also are you aware Roland has a Data Base Manager for the VA series..This allows you to organize and load a blank zip disk using a computer.

I just replaced my zip drive on my 8 year old Roland G1000...With care , the drives can last..

You mentioned cryptic lettering after you come out of lyrics window...This could be a sign of an internal battery going bad[they usually last ten years on average]..

If you have a reliable repair shop, maybe it would be worth while , to have them check everything out..

#303499 - 03/22/06 06:42 AM Re: VA-76 zip disk problems
ssb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
ssb, have you tried another zip disk?
If you have the same problem with another disk, it is most likely your zip drive..

Yes I tried nultiple new zip disks with the same result.

Odds are, you probably have a errored disk.

Also are you aware Roland has a Data Base Manager for the VA series..This allows you to organize and load a blank zip disk using a computer.

Yes I know, and I use it to "load" the ZIP disk with songs etc.. the only thing is that Roland recommands to format the zip disk with the keyboard, and then use it with a PC, so with RDBM.

I just replaced my zip drive on my 8 year old Roland G1000...With care , the drives can last..
I saw somwhere that I can replace the ZIP drive with a common IOMEGA internal ZIP drive with IDE interface. For what you know, is it a difficult action to be performed? I'm quite used to work with computers... Do you think I could do it by myself?

You mentioned cryptic lettering after you come out of lyrics window...This could be a sign of an internal battery going bad[they usually last ten years on average]..
I thank you for this information. I'm not aware about any battery in my VA-76. I didn't find anything related to in my Manuals. If it is so, where is that battery? May I replace it by myself?

If you have a reliable repair shop, maybe it would be worth while , to have them check everything out..

I'm just thinking to go there, but, for instance, I would not leave my keyboard there for couple of weeks ... just to replace a battery, even paying for that a lot of dollars...

In the meantime I thank you for all your suggestions.

Silvio.

[This message has been edited by ssb (edited 03-22-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online