SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3024 - 05/04/06 01:46 AM hardware/software samplers and synths
zippie161 Offline

Loc: england, uk
Hello there, I would like to know if someone can tell me the differences between hardware and software samplers (maybe give some examples of models) and also the same for synthesizers. I know basic things such as cost, space etc but i didnt know if there were any other technical things i should know?
It's be a great help if someone could give me some info.

Thanks, zippie x

#3025 - 05/04/06 12:37 PM Re: hardware/software samplers and synths
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hardware VA synths win hands down since most of them allow editing using dozens of knobs. Of course some parameters are still hidden in multiple menus but most Waldorf, Novation, Clavia and Access synths allow for classic analog style programming. Good old knob twiddling. Beats mouse clicking and staring at your computer screen all day long!

The disadvantage of hardware VA synths is that you can only use as many of them as you have. With software synths you can open as many instances of the same instrument as your computer's CPU can handle. I haven't hit a limit yet on my dual 2.7Ghz G5.
This of course isn't really important if you have a decent DAW setup. Simply overdub any hardware synth without having to worry about CPU limit and so on.

Being able to save any software synth settings as a part of your song/project is another advantage software synths give you. I however don't mind using Sysex data dumps and so on so it is not a major advantage.

Comparing hardware and software samplers is a different story. Software wins hands down. By samplers in this case I mean any synth that either uses samples or has sampling options.

The advantage of using software samplers is pretty much the same. You can run as many instances and parts as your computer can handle without worrying about limitations of hardware. Another major advantage is that software samplers and sample based synths have greater memory capacity. My Motif ES for example only has some 512 megs of RAM. Can't load gigasampler library files since most of them require at least a Gig or two. My EXS 24 sampler (software sampler built into Logic Pro 7 sequencer/audio program) can load Gigs and gigs of samples since it doesn't even fully rely on RAM but uses hard disk streaming. That means virtually no limitations on how much stuff you can load.

Of course none of the above are an issue if you don't mind overdubbing and your sample memory requirements are way below Gigs of samples. You don't need huge samples to make good music. So unless you are writing film soundtracks and 100% realistic sounding arrangements you can get away with using most hardware synthesizer workstations.

There's also an issue of sound quality and character. Another lengthy discussion for another time.

I've probably confused you even more now but here you go!

-ED-

------------------
A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.
- - - Oscar Wilde

#3026 - 05/04/06 01:05 PM Re: hardware/software samplers and synths
zippie161 Offline

Loc: england, uk
wow thankyou so much!

that has helped a lot, will read through again but i think i understand! thankyou

zippie x

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online