SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#302324 - 01/02/11 08:19 PM What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
1. Devote more practice time to expanding my repertoire & improving my chops (both keyboard & vocally). Get back to playing classical repertoire more, and learning more about 3rd world music genres & their related instruments: including Indian, African, Middle & Far Eastern music.

2. Online 'Song' presentations these days pretty much demand equally impressive accompanying visuals as well (as evidenced on Vimeo and YouTube , so I'm planning on utilizing ProShow Producer , which I recently discovered, as well as explore video cam creation options. Though a bit pricey for my budget right now, one highly rated reasonably priced ($700+) video cam I'm considering is the Panasonic TM700 .

3. Try hard(er) to 'ignore' posts made simply to 'stir the pot' or 'incite a pissing contest', and of which are so often conveniently altered/deleted later by the poster to hide incriminating evidence.

* above was merely edited to correct spelling/syntax errors only

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 01-02-2011).]

#302325 - 01/02/11 08:57 PM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
My resolution is to make your presence on SZ a living hell.Just KIDDINGGGGGGGG

That's quite an undertaking, Scott, playing music which style and feel you're not used to(?). What draws you into this in the first place? Thinking of gigging in Bahrain, Bangalore or perhaps entertain Somali pirates?

Resolution #3: Best of luck with that one!

My resolution is not to make any resolutions I can't keep which means I don't make any. I'll just take it day by day. Just want to spend lots of time with Mapanoy "Da Dude" but I don't need to make a resolution for that. That's a given!

Zhu4 ni3 hao2yun4!

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang

#302326 - 01/02/11 10:36 PM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
That's quite an undertaking, Scott, playing music which style and feel you're not used to(?).

I never mentioned anything about actually being 'able to' play it , but rather learning about & developing an appreciation for 3rd world music genres & their unique instruments used.

Quote:

What draws you into this in the first place?

Taike, good question. Several reasons: As a 4th gen asian american whose music performance specialty has been the american songbook (20's to present), I've now grown interested in exploring my ancestral musical heritage too, and perhaps find some way to integrate trad asian music with american pop. In addition, I've recently become acquainted with a musician from Iraq that's coincidentally, a Yamaha Tyros arranger keyboard player too, so he's shown me how to 'custom scale' my Tyros 4 keyboard for playing middle eastern scaled music, with custom middle eastern uvn instrument voices and custom middle eastern styles as well. I'm finding this new & fascinating. As far as far east ethnic instruments go, in addition to those included in the Tyros 4, I've recently discovered these custom uvn voices available for importing into Tyros 4 as well.

Quote:

Resolution #3: Best of luck with that one!

True. I'm definitely gonna to need the 'most luck' to keep this one, but if there's some way the new synthzone forum could be configured to prevent people from going back (hours later) and re-editing/changing/deleting what they originally posted just to suit their ever changing whim (say no more than 3 minutes after the original posting) , it would insure that members are accountable for what they had originally posted. Seems more than reasonable to me.

#302327 - 01/03/11 06:33 AM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Unless my health goes to Hell I will keep my resolutions, which are:

1. Spend more time sailing and less time working.

2. Loose some of the weight I gained back. (This one's gonna' be tough cause I really enjoyed all those Margarettas. )

3. When October rolls around and everyone want to schedule 2012 jobs, let them all know that I'm heading south in October of 2012 and I can only book a limited number of summer jobs. (This one's gonna' be tough as well. I've always found it difficult to say no to an attractive young lady that wants my musical services.)

4. I'm going to stop using hair and mustache coloring and let my hair and mustache go back to white--it's natural color.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#302328 - 01/03/11 06:51 AM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Spend more quality time with my wife; although that's going to be tough, as I hate gardening, walks in the park, and shopping (unless it's a music or motorcycle store ). Come to think about it, maybe not; I'll just stick to what's working now.

chas

#302329 - 01/03/11 09:08 AM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
zuki Offline

1 - get my web site done
2 - make cds
3 - get a promo package
4 - keep working on new songs and dynamite arrangements
5 - enjoy more days off with family

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#302330 - 01/03/11 10:09 AM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
So much music - so little time! My resolutions are:

1- Seriously consider retiring from my "day job" so I can do all the music I want to do!
2- Get my green screen project working so I can get more wedding gigs
3- File w/BP for lost beach gigs due to the oil spill (definitely affected me)
4- Continue working on my arranger skills
5- Start singing! ME ME ME AHHHHH!!!

That should do me in (particularly the 1st and last ones!)... have a great 2011 everyone!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#302331 - 01/03/11 11:29 AM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, Taike stole my "My resolution is to not make any resolutions" line, so I'll have to come up with something else ... ...

Actually, I started on my resolution in December when I joined a gym again ... I had been away far too long ... facing the BIG #70 in April, I want to be in better shape than I was at 65 ... we'll see ... right after I joined I had very steady attendance, then the week before Christmas I was really knocked down with a bad sinus and ear infection, and then came the holidays, so attendance slacked ... I went this morning and the place was JAMMED ... I said to the young lady at the desk "I see we have all the 'resolutionarys' here" ... she laughed and said "yes, for about a month" ...

One thing I really would like to accomplish this year is to put a bunch of tunes on CDs, sort of as a legacy to my kids and grandkids ... not that I'm disappearing anytime soon - he said hopefully - ...

I hope to keep playing/working/gigging as much as I like ...

But most of all, - and not too sound sappy - but I just want to be a good person to others ... the older I get the more I see the decline of respect and compassion amongst people of ALL ages, and I think THAT is a crime ...

So be good to each other, make beautiful music HOWEVER you want to do it ...

Happy, Healthy, and yes, prosperous New Year everybody ...

t.

#302332 - 01/03/11 02:57 PM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I'll just stick to what's working now.

chas

Yep! Once that's gone, you're a goner!

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang

#302333 - 01/03/11 03:43 PM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
Beakybird Offline

I'm going to take a bath once a month, whether I need it or not.

Outside of that, I am going to spend more time practicing and improving my chops as well.

I also want to upgrade my website by improving the video content.

I expect the successor to the S910 to come out. If it does, I'm definitely resolved to buying it.

#302334 - 01/03/11 03:52 PM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
Love, Laugh and play more.
Eat less!

#302335 - 01/03/11 04:34 PM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
Taike Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TP123:
Love, Laugh and play more.
Eat less!

BURP!

#302336 - 01/03/11 11:58 PM Re: What Are Your 2011 New Years Resolution( s)?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
True. I'm definitely gonna to need the 'most luck' to keep this one, but if there's some way the new synthzone forum could be configured to prevent people from going back (hours later) and re-editing/changing/deleting what they originally posted just to suit their ever changing whim (say no more than 3 minutes after the original posting) , it would insure that members are accountable for what they had originally posted. Seems more than reasonable to me.

Well I could do that now but it is a tough thing to take editing away from everyone to do it. And u know if you see something u think shouldn't have been posted all u have to to is click on the "Reply With Quote" icon to have the post included in your own so it can't be removed. Then everyone can edit but you can preserve postings u want me to be able to see. That way we we all get what we want.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-04-2011).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online