SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#302221 - 01/01/11 08:32 PM Saw 'cam8neel' on NYE ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Yes, I saw and HEARD Angelo Miccoli - aka cam8neel - another 'old time' Zoner on New Year's Eve ...
We - Lydia and I and 5 other couples - were looking for a place to go for NYE and I found out that Angelo was playing at a really nice local restaurant so we booked it... (Steve: 1149 on Division)

Angelo has a new band http://www.bandmetropolis.com/
and a new digital piano - Roland RD300GX ...
The band sounded GREAT ... Angelo is a 'busy' guy on stage, adding all kinds of 'voices' through the kb, singing, etc. ... Everything is played LIVE - no backing tracks, sequences, midi files - just 7 EXCELLENT musicians/vocalists performing everything from Harold Melvin to Lady GaGa, and doing a fine job of it ... sounding enough like the original recordings, but also leaving room for individual musical expression by each of the players ... and these guys are PLAYERS ...

We often talk here about the benefits of gigging as OMBs, but I have to say I was really longing for the old 'band days' as I watched Angelo and the guys - and gal - in the band play off each other and just have a great time while entertaining a roomful of dancers ... they had the dance floor jammin' all night ...

OMBs have their place, and definitely serve a need, but IMHO, the REAL DEAL is a group of musicians working in perfect harmony - no pun intended - fueling the energy in the room, and in turn, feeding off that ...

CONGRATULATIONS Angelo, and best of luck with the band ...
AND, thanks for making NYE a great time for all of us ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-01-2011).]

#302222 - 01/01/11 09:38 PM Re: Saw 'cam8neel' on NYE ...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
OMBs have their place, and definitely serve a need, but IMHO, the REAL DEAL is a group of musicians working in perfect harmony - no pun intended - fueling the energy in the room, and in turn, feeding off that

I agree. That said Tony, here's a link to a 2005 thread discussing this very same topic, of which included input by cam8neel, yourself, other synthzone members, and even me too:

Bands vs. Arranger Keyboard Players

#302223 - 01/02/11 03:43 AM Re: Saw 'cam8neel' on NYE ...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Yes, I saw and HEARD Angelo Miccoli - aka cam8neel - another 'old time' Zoner on New Year's Eve ...
We - Lydia and I and 5 other couples - were looking for a place to go for NYE and I found out that Angelo was playing at a really nice local restaurant so we booked it... (Steve: 1149 on Division)

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-01-2011).]

Tony thanks for the info, I checked out the band's web site. They sound terrific. I see they are playing at the Seekonk location too in January and February.

#302224 - 01/02/11 04:41 AM Re: Saw 'cam8neel' on NYE ...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow, Tony. I checked out their site. These guys are GOOD at what they do. In fact, from a talent/musicianship point of view, that's what I'd call a REAL pro. I'm not bashing arrangers OR OMB's, just differentiating between who I'd actually PAY to go see. This guy obviously predates me (on SZ) since I've never heard him before, but I have to say, he is definitely several cuts above most of the so-called, self-proclaimed "real deal"'s that populate the 'zone.

Glad you had a great time on NYE, Tony. Nothing like a (good) live band to get your juices flowing.

chas

#302225 - 01/02/11 05:18 AM Re: Saw 'cam8neel' on NYE ...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hey, even got Barry White! Rare to pull that one off.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online