SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#30214 - 02/15/03 11:29 PM What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
justforfun000 Offline

Loc: Canada
I remember a post saying the SM58 (which I use) is not ideal because it isn't sensitive enough or something? Could this be why both the hiss is prominent as well as the limiter compressing the dynamics in the vocals that I WANT loud and ringy?

What is the best mic? For live application of course.

#30215 - 02/16/03 08:36 AM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I recommend AUDIX OM2 .

#30216 - 02/16/03 09:51 AM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
Anonymous
Unregistered

As it has been told many times in these forums, there's no "best mic". It's a matter of personal taste and of the specific characteristics of the singer's voice. But specificaly about the strength of the output signal produced by the microphone, the stronger the better. With a hotter intrinsic signal you'll need less pre-amplification (the pre-amps produce noise) and you'll achieve a better balance between the keyboard sound and the voice. From this point of view, the SM58 is not the best choice amongst dynamic mics. In the same brand (Shure) you have the Beta 58A with a strong output level (in the specs, look at a parameter measured in mV). This works well for me, but I haven't tried every mic! My best solution (that I'm presently applying in my live acts) is to use an external pre-amp (actually a small Behringer feedback killer with other useful features included - and I can also use condenser mics that require phantom power) before injecting the signal in the keyboard mic input. This way I keep the keyboard mic gain to a minimum, hence reducing the hiss, and still obtain strong vocals. Since phantom power is no problem, I'm using a condenser Beta 87A mic, and I'm getting great results with it.

-- José.

#30217 - 02/16/03 10:28 AM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
justforfun000 Offline

Thank you both. I think I'll rent the Audix & the beta 58 and try them out.

#30218 - 02/16/03 10:43 AM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
DanO1 Offline

I went with the Audix and it cut back on feedback !
So I bought my wife one too . It hasn't worked on her .

Can you say "2 feet" of snow today in Baltimore ?

I may get to those midi's today Kendall !

dano

#30219 - 02/16/03 04:03 PM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
justforfun000 Offline

2 feet? Holy shit. It's as cold as a whore's heart up here in TO, but not much snow at least. LOL.

Cool. Let me know if you can figure it out. I double checked, and the pitch bend is set at two semitones, and the pitch function is turned "on" in the vocalizer edit, but it STILL doesn't reproduce them properly. I don't understand it.

#30220 - 02/16/03 05:08 PM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
DanO1 Offline

Now they are calling for 3 feet of snow .

WOW oh WOW .............

#30221 - 02/17/03 03:54 AM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
dan01 ))
you are a dealer of audio and musical instrument??? Why you don't use mixers effect and microphone of stars )
you, with your behringer mixer and audix microphone ... If I was a dealer of rols royce, I don't buy a ... heum heum ... cars in france ... I don't know ... and not to debate again in cars )

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#30222 - 02/17/03 11:16 AM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Have a look at - www.apexelectronics.com
-Try a Apex 350, I got one for a 'back up'
for my MD 421 Sennheiser. The Apex 350 cost me $120.00 Canadian & I'm really impressed with its feedback rejection & output.

#30223 - 02/17/03 04:43 PM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
DanO1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DAN.2000:
dan01 ))
you are a dealer of audio and musical instrument??? Why you don't use mixers effect and microphone of stars )
you, with your behringer mixer and audix microphone ... If I was a dealer of rols royce, I don't buy a ... heum heum ... cars in france ... I don't know ... and not to debate again in cars )

Hey Dan ...........I only sell powered monitors and Crest Audio powered speakers ( like JBL EON's) .

Audix is endorsed my many artist . The Behringer is a new mixer . So far ..I like it . Dano

#30224 - 02/17/03 07:02 PM Re: What microphone is the BEST for SD1?
justforfun000 Offline

Well I decided on the Beta SM58A. I thought the presence was excellent. The Audix seemed a tad too trebly in tone for my taste. Kind of ultra-crisp which doesn't SOUND bad, but still seemed to be a little excessive. I think the Shure one is better suited to my voice. I'll let you know how it sounds when I perform next week.

thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry, Ketron_AJ, Tonewheeldude 

Help keep Synth Zone Online