SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#301351 - 12/21/10 05:59 PM After 12+ years, no more band...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
This has been brewing for a long time. We have NYE and then 2 other dates in the first half of 2011, then we're done. They think I'm nuts to walk away from a band as popular as ours is. I know I'm done. They won't practice, don't want to drive too far, etc. Its time. I told them 2 weeks ago.

One by one former band accounts turned into duo or solo accounts. For the most part, each has worked out fine. The final two accounts appear to both be fine with using me as a solo in one form or another, which is nice. One of the guys is already trying to vulture a few of my old accounts. (All's fair in love, war and music, right?)

The move will surely be a liberating one for me. Instead of the same warts every night, now the quality of the performance will be much more consistent. My frustration level kept increasing and while they seem to have a "its good enough" mentality, that doesn't work me. It wasn't ever going to change, so that's that.

This is a low risk/high reward move for me. If the old accounts enjoy my solo work, then my work load stay constant, but I get a hefty raise in pay. If they don't, I can replace these 20+ gigs a year with 1 hour NH gigs and show a more efficient profit anyway. It wouldn't suck being home most weekends nights.

They were all good players and pretty decent guys. There was no big blowup or fight at all. I've nothing bad to say about any of them.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-21-2010).]

#301352 - 12/21/10 06:09 PM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
Dnj Offline

WTG Bill!.......I walked away after 24 years with 7 pc's ..........now after 17 years solo I can say it was alot of fun & many memories...but wouldn't go back to it for anything, too many headaches, I'm havin' too much of a good time on my own!!
Now playing for those "SAME BAND GIGS" Solo for the "Same Pay" & that will be your happiness!

Go for it!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-22-2010).]

#301353 - 12/21/10 07:32 PM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
zuki Offline

Bold move, but certainly wise enough to discern. You'll do fine

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#301354 - 12/22/10 03:59 AM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Sounds like a good move Bill, under the circumstances (mainly - 'won't practice'). However, in order to keep from falling into that 'loner' mentality, I'd try to find a couple of seasoned musicians (with a 'day job') who are willing to learn a good comprehensive 20-25 tune 'set list' and willing to work the occasional gig that 'demands' a band ((Xmas, NYE, St. Pat's day, etc.). Make sure one of them is a drummer - nothing says 'real band' like having a drummer on stage. You have to find guys that just like to play/perform, money be damned. There are plenty of these type musicians out there, believe me. Next, try to have a REALLY GOOD female vocalist in your back pocket (retired pro/housewife) for the best in musical variety. Since you're a vocalist, work with her privately on duet routines (this gives you the added option of some 'duo' gigs, if called for). Invite them all (except the drummer) to drop by and set in sometimes on your solo gigs. Naturally, the key thing here is to start with completely NEW people. It'll keep you musically stimulated and allow you to keep the flexibility you currently have with the type of gigs you can accommodate.

Of course you can just 'jam' with friends on your 'down' time, but if you're like most pros, jammin' is one of those 'been there, done that' type of things. Anyhoo, good luck with your new musical direction.

chas

#301355 - 12/22/10 07:39 AM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Congrats Bill! I know you've been thinking about this for a long time. I did the same thing several years ago and haven't missed it at all. And you're right, it is nice to be home on some weekend nights. Congrats also on your new grandson!

Joe

#301356 - 12/22/10 08:08 AM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Thanks Donny, Jim, Chas and Joe for the words of support.

Band dynamics are funny things sometimes. These guys wouldn't/couldn't rehearse with me but are now trying to book themselves as a new band around town. (Will this new band rehearse? Who knows?) When a client phoned me yesterday to find out the scoop, he said he asked my sax guy directly "who you gonna get who does what Corfield does?" Reportedly his answer was "I don't know yet." Needless to say, the client was neither impressed or interested.

I don't wish them anything but good luck but it underscores nicely one of the major reasons why I wanted out. They're not even sure who their band is going to be and they're trying to get gigs. Maybe I never realized how great they all were, but I think its at a minimum, an unwise way to make a new impression on a potential client. At its worst, its disrespectful and damagaing.

If everything sounds great, and you're working a good bit, then sure...rehearsals may be not critical. If everything seems to sound the same, no matter what you do...you need to rehearse, period.

The stress level for me is much lower on my solo gigs. For the last few months as I'd drive home-I'd compare my fulfillment level from a band gig to a solo job. Not even close. Different universe entirely. When you're doing 400+ jobs a year, you really don't have to put up with any thing you don't want to, so off I go.

I hope the guys put together something worthy of their skills and their reputations. All three have played for over 30 years and two of them are retired Air Force band guys. Maybe I'm nuts, but I think a little investment could pay big dividends down the road.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 12-22-2010).]

#301357 - 12/22/10 08:39 AM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
Mr. G Offline

Loc: Monroe, Mi. USA
Hi Bill, As a musician and like all the musicians here on the zone we all face the band break-up at one time or another, and after so many years of hard practice and getting everything just right it seems to get harder and harded to keep the band members with the keep going and get better attitude. I've been thru it several times myself. Now I have a great guitarist with fantanstic vocals and my Audya and the sound is just amazing. It's was a little odd just him and me on stage at first but now I'm getting used to it. I don't play in the club scene a stuff anymore, just at Church and Christian concerts and stuff like that , however it is just as rewarding and even more so. Theres not much pay envolved but pay is no longer a priority. It just feels great to be able to use the talent God gave me to glorify Him in the highest. Since I gave my heart over to the lord the music I now play gives me a feeling of completeness I never felt before. I hope you have a rewarding and joyful musical time solo, or whatever direction you may choose. Have a great Christmas and new year.
Gordon in Monroe.
Mr. G ,OASYS , KRONOS ,Jupiter 80 , AUDYA 5, Midas Venice ,Danley Labs sm-60f's ,Danley TH mini subs, QSC KW 122's,118 sub , Senhieser and Heil , Audix VX-10 , TC_Helicon ,ZOOM 9200, Lexicon ,Alesis ,AKG solid tube ,AB international Power Sub3600

#301358 - 12/22/10 09:03 AM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. G:
Hi Bill, As a musician and like all the musicians here on the zone we all face the band break-up at one time or another, and after so many years of hard practice and getting everything just right it seems to get harder and harded to keep the band members with the keep going and get better attitude. I've been thru it several times myself. Now I have a great guitarist with fantanstic vocals and my Audya and the sound is just amazing. It's was a little odd just him and me on stage at first but now I'm getting used to it. I don't play in the club scene a stuff anymore, just at Church and Christian concerts and stuff like that , however it is just as rewarding and even more so. Theres not much pay envolved but pay is no longer a priority. It just feels great to be able to use the talent God gave me to glorify Him in the highest. Since I gave my heart over to the lord the music I now play gives me a feeling of completeness I never felt before. I hope you have a rewarding and joyful musical time solo, or whatever direction you may choose. Have a great Christmas and new year.
Gordon in Monroe.

Gordon, do you have any recordings I could hear of you playing your Audya along with the guitar player?

#301359 - 12/22/10 09:52 AM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I do. Not wait the guitar player is you!
Don

#301360 - 12/22/10 11:14 AM Re: After 12+ years, no more band...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

Most of us have done the same thing, some several times. I had a 5-piece country band for a while, booked maybe 25 jobs a year on a good year, a dozen on the bad years. We parted as friends many, many years ago, still get together and jam once in a while, but I've never looked back. It was, financially, one of the best moves I've ever made in the entertainment biz.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online