SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#301012 - 12/16/10 07:41 AM Seen / heard this before?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Found this You Tube video entertaining.
Suzuki Q Chord and some other nice "funstuff"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlaZIlPgx-0&feature=fvw

Enjoy
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#301013 - 12/17/10 08:34 AM Re: Seen / heard this before?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Pretty cool, "cheezy" old stuff.

R.

#301014 - 12/17/10 01:52 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Pretty cool, "cheezy" old stuff.
R.
////

Please excuse my ignorance but what does "cheesy" really mean?.....I have heard people say that some of the Tyros 4 styles are a bit "cheesy" also... so what is the definitive answer if there is one..?
or is this just another personal opinion by some people? Also what ISN'T 'cheesy" so I can make the connection of A & B ?

#301015 - 12/17/10 02:28 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Quote:
[b]Pretty cool, "cheezy" old stuff.
R.
////

Please excuse my ignorance but what does "cheesy" really mean?.....I have heard people say that some of the Tyros 4 styles are a bit "cheesy" also... so what is the definitive answer if there is one..?
or is this just another personal opinion by some people? Also what ISN'T 'cheesy" so I can make the connection of A & B ?

[/B]

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cheesy

#301016 - 12/17/10 02:30 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?

"Cheesy" is an expression of my belief that the sounds produced on some of this neat old stuff is less than spectacular, realistic or imaginative.

You may not feel the same, but I'm pretty sure than if anyone listens to the sounds produced on a mass market, low end electronic music device made in the 70's they would find it to be less than spectacular; "cheesy" to those who are looking for a descriptor.

Still neat old stuff, though...

Russ

#301017 - 12/17/10 02:46 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?
Dnj Offline

What I'm wondering is that back in the 70's this stuff sounded good to us correct?...which translates to NOT CHEESY.....it's when people say something sounds cheesy about the latest and greatest of today eg: Tyros 4 choirs, etc ..
is confusing?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-17-2010).]

#301018 - 12/17/10 03:10 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?

Again, it's individual taste. Formerly cool 70's sounds are "cheesy" to some now, because of improvements in talent, available equipment...for a variety of reasons.

For some (me, included), everything Yamaha; past and present, is "cheesy".

Cheese is what you make it to be!

Russ (cheese ball) Lay

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-17-2010).]

#301019 - 12/17/10 03:26 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?
Tonewheeldude Offline

I have to jump in here because I am pretty fond of the quirky little Omnichord/Qchord and its funny to see them mentioned here. I work for the company that distributes the Qchord (which is the current evolution of omnichord). and of course Suzuki also make Hammond organs, and are serious about both.

The Qchord is only cheesy on the hands of someone that doesn't understand it (or who wants it to be that way) or a musician that thinks he is better than it. It lends itself to sound sculpture and is widely used by song writers. Its appeared in a huge list of recordings over the past 25 years too and there are currently a number of high profile artists using them in the UK (not sure about the USA).

Don't get me wrong - its a fun little instrument that most of us don't take too seriously, but can be taken very seriously.

for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj3oQkgzX-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS4ZW6f89QI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWx7U5HDdVc

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 12-17-2010).]

#301020 - 12/17/10 03:28 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Again, it's individual taste. Formerly cool 70's sounds are "cheesy" to some now, because of improvements in talent, available equipment...for a variety of reasons.

For some, everything Yamaha; past and present, is "cheesy".

Cheese is what you make it to be!
Russ (cheese ball) Lay

ok so it IS a personal reference....meaning some think so & some don't.....
for example the sounds a an older Fender Rhodes, DX7, is NOT cheesy....but lets say a Casio VL-1 IS...depending on who you talk to. I'm glad we sorted this all out

These people loved the casio VL-1 unit..

The VL-1 acquired enduring notability when the German band Trio used it in one of their songs, the "faux-Kraftwerk tune" "Da Da Da".[3] They used the Rock-1 rhythm preset and the Piano voice.
A similar rhythm preset, Rock-2, features in the first half of The Man Whose Head Expanded by The Fall, only to be cut short by Mark E. Smith's command to "turn that bloody blimey space invader off".
Industrial artist Monte Cazazza uses the VL-1's drum patterns on both sides of the Stairway to Hell / Sex Is No Emergency single (1982).
The music video for Thomas Dolby's hit "She Blinded Me With Science" shows a group of schoolchildren holding VL-1s during a dream sequence.
The Human League used the VL-1 for "Get Carter," a song on their album Dare.[4]
Le Casio, the final track on the album Vehicles and Animals by Athlete prominently features the VL-1's 'Fantasy' voice.
The VL-1 is used by death industrial act Brighter Death Now.
The Rock-1 and Rock-2 rhythms are heard on the track Stop/Start by The Assembly.
In 1995, "parsimonous" French singer/songwriter Dominique A used a minimum of instruments, including the VL-1 (called the "VL Tone" in the French press).[5][6]
The progressive electronica band Yip-Yip often uses the VL-1's distinctive beats.
Fergie's "Clumsy" also uses one of VL-1's beats.
On older Sakata (Australian rice cracker company) advertisements, the Rock-1 rhythm is used as a backing beat.
In one Homestar Runner cartoon, Strong Bad creates a "crazy cartoon" called "Sweet Cuppin' Cakes", in which he appears as a character, but with a VL-1 as a head.
The Rock-2 rhythm is used in the track "Who was That" by Deee-Lite.
2-D, from the band Gorillaz, says that his first keyboard was a Custom VL-1.
In Ecuador, the demo song of the VL-1 is played in a news program that broadcast in Radio Cristal Guayaquil called "desayúnese con las noticias"; the song is played daily on 7 30 AM.
British bubblegum-pop duo Mogul used the VL-Tone extensively throughout their early recordings, including a female vocal-led version of 'Roll With It'.

#301021 - 12/17/10 03:39 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?

I actually liked some of the material you referenced. Perhaps the "cheese" factor here has to do with time, changes in preferences...you mention "liked". Perhaps that's the answer in this case.

Be well,

Russ

#301022 - 12/17/10 03:56 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?
Tonewheeldude Offline

#301023 - 12/17/10 04:00 PM Re: Seen / heard this before?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
I have to jump in here because I am pretty fond of the quirky little Omnichord/Qchord and its funny to see them mentioned here.

I've never heard about the Q Chord before I saw one for sale at the local
e-bay (Finn.no) and thought it maybe was a sort of new electronic funstuff
as well as I did wonder about if anyone here was familiar with it.
Then I did a search at Google and found the YouTube video.
Now I do realize that it's not any new invention, but I still entertaining
and interesting.
I did read someplace at the web that it's mentioned as a zynthesiser and
that Q Chord sound pretty good if put through external soundsystem.
Hmm, aprox 133US$, maybe I should take a look and see if still not sold....

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online