SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300769 - 12/14/10 01:40 PM Re: DJ # Musician ??
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
DITTO!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#300770 - 12/14/10 02:31 PM Re: DJ # Musician ??
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I think that as the level of automation increases, the claim to be a musician becomes more and more "iffy". Running DJ equipment is about as automated as you can get, in terms of music production.

Around here, some of the most popular DJ's are about as ego driven as you can get.

That being said, although I don't DJ, I have a production/sound company, and my youngest son has a healthy roster of car show producers, company picnic planners, etc. who use his services.

That's where we utilize my big sound and light equipment. It's a service and there is a market for it, but it's not something I would choose to do, and, people who do DJ work may be entertainers, but they are certainly not musicians.

Russ

#300771 - 12/14/10 03:27 PM Re: DJ # Musician ??
Tonewheeldude Offline

I holded off posting to see what you guys thought. And its the same reaction here as everywhere else. For some reason musicians have a lack of respect for D.J's. Maybe its because the 80s and 90s saw musicians being pushed out of WMC and function rooms in favour of more up to date sound and light shows by some guy with a turntable or two, a volvo estate and 4 lights who would do the gig for half the money.

But the truth is many DJs these days are at an advanced level where they not only out shine a guy with an arranger keyboard, they are being truly creative. There is so much more to a DJ than playing and merging tracks. Some have a library of loops and effects to help with their task, they not only skilfully merge tracks, but remix, loop, add samples, voice over and work the audience all in real time. And then there are studio DJ's who take a piece of original material, dissamble and remix into something completely original.

The question is realy - are D.J's artists? and should they be respected as such?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uegxzljHu1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGUsHAFLEA

As it happens I don't know any DJ that would call himself a musician, however they do want to be respect as artists. By the way, the myth that musicians union is not for DJ's is untrue.

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 12-14-2010).]

#300772 - 12/15/10 06:19 AM Re: DJ # Musician ??
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Well, then I suppose all the studio engineers, producers, post production crew, etc. could also lay claim to the title.

I think DJ's can be awesome entertainers while not being musicians.

Likewise, Musicians can be terrible entertainers, while still being musicians.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#300773 - 12/15/10 07:00 AM Re: DJ # Musician ??
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I know of DJs that are excellent technicians. Some, and I'm being generous, are good entertainers as well. A large number of them do not fit into either category. I do NOT know of a single DJ in the Baltimore metropolitan area that fits into the category DNJ was referring to--not one. And, upon talking with several DJs that I know personally, they do NOT know of any that make more than $1,200 for a four hour wedding job--most make less than $600.

I also know a lot of really great musicians, several were Peabody trained and can play any song that was ever written. They have more musical talent in one finger than I have in all 10. However, the vast majority are NOT good entertainers. And, most cannot sing at all.

Then there is the category that a very small number fit into--musician/entertainer. Individuals that are good players, sing well, interact with their audiences and put on a great show during the entire time they're on-stage. These individuals are quite rare, in extremely high demand, frequently booked a year or more in advance and music is their full time job. It's their sole source of income, and as Don Mason has often said "I've made hundreds of dollars in the music business."

In my opinion, a DJ is NOT a musician. He or she can be an entertainer, just as someone that does not play any form of music or musical instrument, CAN be an entertainer. But first and foremost a DJ must also be a technician--a person that really knows the inner-workings of their equipment well. Are they artists? I don't think so.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#300774 - 12/15/10 07:16 AM Re: DJ # Musician ??
Dnj Offline

Disc Jockey rates vary based on talent, experience, emcee ability, service, coordination, equipment needed, music knowledge, mixing ability and personality.

Rates for the DJ industry vary greatly, ranging from $500.00 to over $10,000.00 with an average of $1,800.00 for a 4 hour booking. The best price is not always the best deal, especially if you are planning a wedding. As a matter of fact, surveys conclude that nearly 100% of brides would have spent more money on their entertainment and made it their #1 priority in hindsight.

A full-service disc jockey company will normally invest 12 to 30 hours to your special event but it may appear that you are only paying for "4 hours". Consultations, music purchasing & editing, preparation, set-up and tear-down, education and other business related endeavors add up to the overall success of your special occasion.

#300775 - 12/15/10 08:13 AM Re: DJ # Musician ??
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
I holded off posting to see what you guys thought. And its the same reaction here as everywhere else. For some reason musicians have a lack of respect for D.J's. Maybe its because the 80s and 90s saw musicians being pushed out of WMC and function rooms in favour of more up to date sound and light shows by some guy with a turntable or two, a volvo estate and 4 lights who would do the gig for half the money.

But the truth is many DJs these days are at an advanced level where they not only out shine a guy with an arranger keyboard, they are being truly creative. There is so much more to a DJ than playing and merging tracks. Some have a library of loops and effects to help with their task, they not only skilfully merge tracks, but remix, loop, add samples, voice over and work the audience all in real time. And then there are studio DJ's who take a piece of original material, dissamble and remix into something completely original.

The question is realy - are D.J's artists? and should they be respected as such?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uegxzljHu1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGUsHAFLEA

As it happens I don't know any DJ that would call himself a musician, however they do want to be respect as artists. By the way, the myth that musicians union is not for DJ's is untrue.
[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 12-14-2010).]

At least someone makes sense here.

Become a DJ in 15-20 minutes? Yeah, right! I'd love to see that. In a club setting, of course!

I have yet to see an arranger player fill up a dance floor like is shown on these video clips or at least get such a reaction from a crowd. Want to fire up a crowd like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUCdDzfEsF4&feature=fvsr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6TIEkB4_F8

Then become a DJ or a rock artist. Not as easy as it appears to be. But don't despair, not even Michel Voncken and Peter Baartman get such reactions. Even if they cater to a young audience. I wonder why...not!

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 12-15-2010).]

#300776 - 12/15/10 08:22 AM Re: DJ # Musician ??
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I think its apples and oranges. Both can be great, both can suck.

There are environments where each would excel and each would struggle, right?

But, I stand by original answer to Chico's original question that a DJ is not a musician...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#300777 - 12/15/10 09:38 AM Re: DJ # Musician ??
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
I have maintained a peaceful coexistence with my son DJ Mario Songs.
So, we divided our work into two stages:
Usually I play my arranger from 9:00 pm until 0:30 am when Mario gets the job as DJ until 4:00 or 5:00 am.
In time:
1-Mario does not consider himself a musician but an entertainer
2-At 01:00 am I'm going to sleep and Mario is responsible for taking home all the musical equipment including my kbd.

#300778 - 12/15/10 09:55 AM Re: DJ # Musician ??
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
There ya go Chico. The best of both worlds. Congratulations.
Eddie

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online