SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#300660 - 12/11/10 04:17 PM My Tyros 4's now in the house !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Yesterday I received delivery (UPS from Conn. to CA) of my Tyros4! Many thanks to friend & dealer Frankieve ( AudioWorks ) for getting it out to me so quickly.

Perhaps its because I upgraded from the 2 generations ago Tyros2, but the moment I turned Tyros4 on and played it 'out of the box', I was very impressed by its awesome sound advancement. As a longtime Yamaha player (going back to PSR2000; Tyros1, Tyros2) I've appreciated the Yamaha Tyros2 sound and had an inkling of the degree of sound improvement I might expect with Tyros4. I wasn't let down. Even out of the box, the overall new sound is both rich and full and has mid-upper range sparkle as well. I especially appreciate the new Tyros4 'concert grand' piano, a noticeable improvement over the grand on Tyros2. As others too have claimed, Tyros4's new drums and built in vocal harmonizer really shine and with many new outstanding voices and styles, I'm very happy with Tyros4, especially because it retains the same ease of OS navigation I've grown so familiar with from previous Tyros models, and supports a huge number of awesome custom styles & voices (sound samples).

My biggest disappointment with Tyros4 are the confirmed bugs that Chony reported earlier. I agree with him that these aren't mere annoyances but critical feature bugs that prevent you from reliably saving styles or utilizing custom voices in styles.

Another thing I've already observed, albeit only on one occasion (so far): while playing songs via Music Finder, suddenly out of nowhere, the RT sound volume dropped in volume about 30%. The only way I was able to get the RT volume back up to normal again was by rebooting the keyboard. Interestingly enough, another Tyros4 owner who has owned his for a month, reported experiencing the exact same thing to me, but after that one incident he never experienced it again. Yamaha really needs to investigate & correct this as this would be disastrous if it happened in the middle of a stage performance. OMG!

These are my first 24 hour impressions so as I continue to explore this keyboard further, I'll post updates. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying Tyros4 a lot and believe it was a substantial upgrade for me, just as long as Yamaha is able to address & correct the above problems. - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 12-11-2010).]

#300661 - 12/11/10 04:31 PM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Scott,

Don't forget to sleep a few hours a day buddy!

#300662 - 12/11/10 08:59 PM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Hi Scott, I am happy for you,
I am sure Yamaha will fix this issues, I know Chony and you Scott(both Great players in their own style), really know how to use this instruments, so, it is NOT the typical "Users" mistake, I do believe you, that I am sure Yamaha has to make good on this, their reputation is on the line.

Congratulations, I am sure (after all bugs are clear), both of you will be even happier campers.
As soon my T3 buyer pays it off, I will be getting mine too very soon for what I was told.
)
Soon I will be also one more of the T4 owners.

------------------
mdorantes

#300663 - 12/11/10 10:02 PM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
Congrats buddy!!!

#300664 - 12/11/10 10:47 PM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
beachbum Offline

Loc: Austin
Congrads Scott!

I asked Santa for one for Christmas. However, I'm more likely to receive a Tickle Me Elmo, which is not on the list.

I enjoying ever bit of your review, hopefully we will get a few features in the upgrade from the 910... Which I can get without Santa's assistance.

#300665 - 12/12/10 04:47 AM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Hi Scott
I'm waiting for your new version of quiet nights with new scat voices, of course.
Congrats,
Chico

#300666 - 12/12/10 07:32 AM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
Beakybird Offline

Congratulations. Hopefully, we'll see an OS update very soon that address these issues.

Do the issues that Chony presented come up even with styles saved to USB?

Anyway, I don't think you'll be prevented from gigging with your new keyboard.

Please keep us updated!

#300667 - 12/12/10 07:36 AM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
HI Scott,

Congratulations and welcome to the Tyros 4 family. I agree with your assessment. Also, let me know what you think of some of the Sart2 voices. I'm having a devil of a time altering my playing style to use these voices. I notice my Legato playing causes dropout of notes and I have to play more staccato and with a very much harder touch.

I'm also a little disappointed in the Organs. Why would they change the way the controller works with the organs? They now control volume instead of Leslie Rotor? What were they thinking? Some of the Leslie Rotors do an "Instant On" and with a louder volume than slow speed.

And finally, I'm having a devil of a time balancing the volume of "Everything". Somethings like Right voices are Too Loud, some tooo soft, the left hand voice is un-hearable,the Styles are not as balanced as the Tyros 2. I hope they can fix these things, but I don't have hope as Yamaha does not have a very good track record of releasing OS Updates.

Take Care.
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#300668 - 12/12/10 08:53 AM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Al,
Yes...I even noticed this some on the T2 I had...
It is especialy bad if you play softer music and don't get agressive with the eyboard.

One thing that may hel. Set you velocity sensitivity softer in the menue.
Lee S.

#300669 - 12/12/10 08:55 AM Re: My Tyros 4's now in the house !
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Scott,
Now that the usual "first blush" has maybe worn off,(if it ever does ,what are your thoughts and opinions?

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online