SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#300567 - 12/09/10 04:40 PM G-70 problem, probably midi settings related
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Posted this on Roland Arrangers also...

Today my G70 started behaving weird. I finally connected the MIDI cables to the PC, and a USB cable (I couldn't make it work) and after a little while I started having a problem with the balance knob.

Actually, at some point, I couldn't get a sound from the right hand and since I am a complete novice to the workings of this particular keyboard, I switched on and off (not momentarily) to see if the problem would go away. It didn't and after 1-2 minutes of looking around I realized that the balance knob was all the way to the left. I brought it back and the problem was solved.

Fast forward another 1-2 minutes and I tried to correct the balance a little and when I moved the knob a little to the left (say 11 o' clock) the right hand sound completely disappeared and never came back no matter what. I moved the knob to the middle (12 o clock) pressed a random UPG, sound balance came back, pressed the "part" button and moved the balance knob to the left slowly. I could see the levels of the various parts completely fall to zero and never coming back.

fast forward another 5-6 minutes while I rest my hands from typing.... after a little more button pushing, I now know that the pot beneath the knob is not faulty, because while playing with the Midi easy settings I realized that If i press "song parts" on, MIDI output on, and local on , the knob behaves correctly, while if I choose "Keyboard and style parts", "MIDI output" and "local off", it kills any sound if moved before 11 or after 2 o clock.

So the actual problem seems to lie in the Midi settings and those are a mystery to me.
The extent of my knowledge is that when I connect my (whatever) keyboard with the Midi in and out of the PC soundcard (any soundcard) I get a "midi loop" or something so I have to turn local off to stop the keyboard form playing both what I play and what it receives in the same midi channel, and that's about it..

Can anyone direct me to a solution? I am one step before pulling out the midi cables to rectify the situation, but I would like to play with a midi sequencer some time and use the G70 as a source and playback machine or whatever, there must be someone that has had the same problem here.

anyone?
Thanks in advance,
Trident

#300568 - 12/09/10 07:25 PM Re: G-70 problem, probably midi settings related
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
It has been so long since I've owned a Roland that I cannot remember whether or not you have to install a drive in the PC for things to react properly. If this is the case, did you install the driver?

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online