SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#300260 - 12/03/10 04:45 AM TC Helicon Harmonizers
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am looking into Harmony M and Voice Live Touch. I don't care about looping but wonder if the additional cost of Voice Live is worth it.

How automatic is SMF following. Or do I have to designate a certain track for each ?

#300261 - 12/03/10 05:31 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
gcbin Offline

Loc: Huntington, Indiana USA
I can comment on the Harmony-M, which is in my closet collecting dust. The SMF tracking is excellent for me with both a Yamaha PSR-S900 and S-910. I did have to create midi presets on the keyboard to use with SMF as well as style play. However, when using style play, triggering harmony from left hand chords, it is just absolutely terrible. I also have a Vocalist VR, and do not have a problem with it, which leads me to think it is the Harmony-M that is the problem. I have tried all sorts of midi settings on both the Keyboard and the Harmony-M, and nothing helped. If all you are doing is using midi files, and not using style play, you could simply set the Harmony_M to the correct midi channel, usually 5 with commercial midi files, and forget it. However, the midi receive channel on the Harmony-M is global, and triggering the Harmony-M from style play may require a different midi channel. I have tweaked, and went back to using the built in harmonizer on the Yamaha, just for the simplicity. Gary

[This message has been edited by gcbin (edited 12-03-2010).]

#300262 - 12/03/10 06:15 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
Bernie9 Offline

Thank you Gary

I use style play and SMF about 50/50 and inaccurate left hand chord tracking would make the M unsuitable.

That said, I still believe Helicon to be the best and it is only a matter of which one.

#300263 - 12/03/10 06:22 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bernie,

Both DonM and I use the Harmony-M for live performances and have no problems using it at all. Perhaps Gary did not update the software, which eliminated some of the earlier problems.

I do not use it for midi files at all, so I cannot comment on this aspect.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#300264 - 12/03/10 07:26 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
gcbin Offline

I had one of the earlier units. I recall threads somewhere in my searches, that some of the earlier units were returned. This may or may not be true. However, I did update to the latest firmware, and was disappointed when it did not help. I tried everything I could think of, including using it with some of my other controllers and keyboards. I am glad it is working for some of you.

#300265 - 12/03/10 08:09 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
Mr. G Offline

Loc: Monroe, Mi. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gcbin:
I can comment on the Harmony-M, which is in my closet collecting dust. The SMF tracking is excellent for me with both a Yamaha PSR-S900 and S-910. I did have to create midi presets on the keyboard to use with SMF as well as style play. However, when using style play, triggering harmony from left hand chords, it is just absolutely terrible. I also have a Vocalist VR, and do not have a problem with it, which leads me to think it is the Harmony-M that is the problem. I have tried all sorts of midi settings on both the Keyboard and the Harmony-M, and nothing helped. If all you are doing is using midi files, and not using style play, you could simply set the Harmony_M to the correct midi channel, usually 5 with commercial midi files, and forget it. However, the midi receive channel on the Harmony-M is global, and triggering the Harmony-M from style play may require a different midi channel. I have tweaked, and went back to using the built in harmonizer on the Yamaha, just for the simplicity. Gary

Mr. G ,OASYS , KRONOS ,Jupiter 80 , AUDYA 5, Midas Venice ,Danley Labs sm-60f's ,Danley TH mini subs, QSC KW 122's,118 sub , Senhieser and Heil , Audix VX-10 , TC_Helicon ,ZOOM 9200, Lexicon ,Alesis ,AKG solid tube ,AB international Power Sub3600

#300266 - 12/03/10 08:16 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
Mr. G Offline

Loc: Monroe, Mi. USA
I had a psr 9000 and a tyros that I used and as long as I put the tyros and the TC helicon on midi CH. 4 it folloed left hand style chords with never a problem. Give it a shot , it could work for you as well.
Mr. G ,OASYS , KRONOS ,Jupiter 80 , AUDYA 5, Midas Venice ,Danley Labs sm-60f's ,Danley TH mini subs, QSC KW 122's,118 sub , Senhieser and Heil , Audix VX-10 , TC_Helicon ,ZOOM 9200, Lexicon ,Alesis ,AKG solid tube ,AB international Power Sub3600

#300267 - 12/03/10 12:40 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Weird, I typed up a response to this earlier and its not here... I must've goofed, lol...

My experience was almost identical to Gary other than I use a Tyros as opposed to the PSR line....

The harmony M would not track right and at times sounded ridiculous.

Gary Diamond was kind enough to try and help me with this and after a long time of trying, conceded the unit wouldn't be optimal for my style (full keyboard mode).

I am really very happy with the Digitechs.

If I could only find a power supply for them that doesn't break down after a year or so. The wire pulls out from the base. I baby them, but its happened to every single one I've had...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#300268 - 12/03/10 12:50 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks guys
I ordered a Voice Live Touch. I will let you know how it is.
Bernie

#300269 - 12/03/10 06:33 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by gcbin:
However, the midi receive channel on the Harmony-M is global, and triggering the Harmony-M from style play may require a different midi channel.

Incorrect.

You can select the Harmony M to receive on ANY channel you like. Read the manual. Its under the MIDI section.

#300270 - 12/03/10 08:35 PM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
gcbin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Incorrect.

You can select the Harmony M to receive on ANY channel you like. Read the manual. Its under the MIDI section.

Yes, you can set the Harmony-M to receive on any midi channel. Once you do that, however, you have to use that midi channel for all presets on the Harmony-M. What you cannot do is store different midi receive channels for different presets, as on some units. Thats what I meant when I said the midi receive channel was global. Lets take a scenario where you may want to use a midi file which transmits harmony data on midi channel 5. Then on you next song you want to trigger harmony data from your particular keyboard which may transmit on midi channel 4. To my knowledge, with the Harmony-M, you have a problem unless you want to go into the menu and change the midi receive channel all the time. With the Vocalist VR, you have the option of setting up a preset to receive on channel 5, and another preset to receive on channel 4. That's not to say that your particular keyboard may have a way to transmit on various channels in a way to work around the need for this. I don't claim to be an expert. Just my thoughts. Gary

#300271 - 12/04/10 07:45 AM Re: TC Helicon Harmonizers
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I am really very happy with the Digitechs.

Due to many of the scenarios mentioned I also prefer the Digitech units to the
TC Helicon. I tried them all. Although I look forward to trying the New Tyros 4 VH2 unit sometime & hope they also include it in the new S Series when released too. Anything is better then what we already have. That would be the only reason I would upgrade from the S910.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-04-2010).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online