SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#300229 - 12/02/10 07:05 PM Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Dnj Offline

#300230 - 12/02/10 07:17 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Tony Hughes Offline

This is not the same chap who did T1,2,3, he’s lived in McDonalds since then, he’s not done justice to the T4 an opportunity wasted, not much better than the MS videos, who wants to sing like the Pope anyway, he’s become a bit of a comedian , I don’t think Holland is famous for comedians, is it! DNJ won't be palying them again, thanks anyway.

Tony
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#300231 - 12/02/10 07:53 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Not being able to understand what the 'H' he is saying really detracts from the demos....

I understood the house of the rising sun!
We have several around town!

Lee S.

#300232 - 12/02/10 11:19 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
that was an example of the cheesyness of the vocal sounds that yamaha keep wanting to demo. The whole demo was exactly the image of arrangers that serious musician cringe at.

I have no idea what yamaha or michael thought he was doing but that right there was awful.

#300233 - 12/02/10 11:49 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
I think this is probably one of the better demos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfGyREk61M&feature=related

I just stumbled across this - I haven't seen it before.

Nick

#300234 - 12/03/10 12:58 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Tonewheeldude Offline

oh dear..its 1978 all over again.

here is another one with some guys miming over the top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN35YXlw5h0

#300235 - 12/03/10 01:27 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Thanks for the links.
It has changed my opinion of Michel Voncken.
I used to think that he was second rate as a Yamaha demonstrator but now , wow!
Obviously, those who have followed his gigs will know that he was formerly very rigid and non-entertaining.
Now , he has by the look and sound of it, let go of his rigidity in style and blossomed as an entertainer rather just a demonstrator.
Probably because, as someone has already observed, he frequents Macdonald's more often! and probably takes a little more Carlsberg!
He is re-born!

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
http://www.music2myears.plus.com

#300236 - 12/03/10 03:15 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
I think one needs to consider that these are amateur recordings and yes it does sound crappy,however to place such criticisms on the performer as made above, is in my opinion, completely unjustified.

Whatever misgivings one may have on Vokens personality and method of demonstrating keyboards, his playing skills and ability with the arranger are beyond doubt.

How many Pros on this Forum would like to be ostracized because a Crappy amateur recording of their Show was uploaded to the Internet?

Gilbert.

#300237 - 12/03/10 04:03 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Did you see that ??? Michel Voncken - formerly NOT known as Prince

LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbe3dol_Wjc&feature=related

#300238 - 12/03/10 04:03 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gilbert:
I think one needs to consider that these are amateur recordings and yes it does sound crappy,however to place such criticisms on the performer as made above, is in my opinion, completely unjustified.

Whatever misgivings one may have on Vokens personality and method of demonstrating keyboards, his playing skills and ability with the arranger are beyond doubt.

How many Pros on this Forum would like to be ostracized because a Crappy amateur recording of their Show was uploaded to the Internet?

Gilbert.

Gilbert,

Give over now, SZ is not the real World and Voken has been putting the pounds, What Eddie says is just a bit of dry humour, it comes from been English, don't take it too serious. Voncken prehaps has not seen it yet!
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#300239 - 12/03/10 07:42 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
right on Tony!

Being english is all I ever wanted to be.
We are able to take something seemingly serious and turn it into a light beyond the darkness!
That's how we got through the dark days of '39 to '45.
I'm old enough to have experienced those days and came out the other side as a Stoic.
"Eat,drink and be merry for tomorrow we die"
Attic wit is much more acceptable.

#300240 - 12/03/10 09:10 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Bachus Offline

There are a few of these vonken moments in every 2 hour demonstration...

But if you glue these moments as a chain one after the other then it can feel as overdone to some...

Just get a video from Vonken in a full 2 hours demo and you'll not even notice it...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#300241 - 12/03/10 12:48 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
This is why the web is so potentially dangerous, and why you never do something, post it and try to explain away quality glitches.

They stay around to haunt you!

R.

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 12-03-2010).]

#300242 - 12/03/10 12:54 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'll never understand why big companies involved in either the manufacturing or recording of music related equipment often produce marketing materials almost completely devoid of any professional production value or pay little, if any attention to audio quality.

Yamaha, Roland. Korg...they're all guilty.

We do lots of youTube stuff, and, believe me, it is possible to produce near broadcast quality work; even when the end use "new media" outlets.

Go figure!

Russ

PS: If interested, email me to discuss further or to see a sample or two...don't want to use this as a vehicle to "toot my own horn".

#300243 - 12/03/10 04:26 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
zuki Offline

Wow! Talk about critique I personally found the first 3 videos very entertaining and some fantastic sounds. I could imagine my folks liking these voices.

Weight has nothing to do with ability. Talent trumps all else and he really is amazing

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 12-03-2010).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#300244 - 12/03/10 04:35 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
I think this is probably one of the better demos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfGyREk61M&feature=related

I just stumbled across this - I haven't seen it before.

Nick

That is a great demo, Nick. This keyboard has a lot of depth. It has a lot going for it besides the choir voices.

Beakybird

#300245 - 12/04/10 04:24 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Wow! Talk about critique I personally found the first 3 videos very entertaining and some fantastic sounds. I could imagine my folks liking these voices.

Weight has nothing to do with ability. Talent trumps all else and he really is amazing

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 12-03-2010).]

Zuki,

Your on your own here me thinks!

#300246 - 12/04/10 07:34 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Beakybird Offline

I think anyone who likes Carpenters would like that first video.

Anyway, I check out this forum to learn about keyboards, not how good a demonstrator is or how much weight he's put on.

#300247 - 12/04/10 08:16 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Hughes:
Zuki,

Your on your own here me thinks!

I like being different! That means I'm special, one way or another

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#300248 - 12/04/10 09:26 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
gilbert Offline

My only real criticism of all the Tyros4 demos,
is that, not one them is using the speakers which are made especially for this Board.Does this say something?

Look for yourself,wherever speakers are shown attached to the Tyros4 they are never plugged in.

I can understand the need for the highest quality sound,but shouldn't this be achievable with the on board speakers?
also should not the demos be made using these speakers?After all thats what the perspective custoner wants to hear.

Gilbert.

#300249 - 12/04/10 04:29 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Gilbert,

The onboard (attachable) speakers are quite limited in power, therefore they would not be suitable for providing sufficient audio power to an audience in a large hall where people are talking. Therefore, it appears as if the keyboard(s) have been connected to a substantially larger sound system in order to reach the masses.

I watched all the above YouTube videos, all of which appeared to be recorded by various individuals in the audiences using hand-held video systems with shotgun mics. You could clearly hear people talking in the background while Michael was providing the demos.

Overall, I have been very impressed with the T4 and its features. It, obviously, has more features than anyone on this, and most forums, will ever utilize. Will I be purchasing one? Not at this point. Maybe sometime in the future, when I can no longer physically endure lugging my gear to several hundred performances a year.

Michael Voncken is incredibly talented. He is second to none when it comes to playing ability and knowing the inner workings of the keyboard(s) he plays. Additionally, he has an excellent voice and when recorded professionally, his overall performances are riveting. Several years ago, when I saw some earlier demonstrations, he appeared to be somewhat nervous. His playing and presentations were a bit dry and almost boring. However, they were still very informative. Today, his presentations can be categorized as outstanding. Not only are they quite informative, but additionally, his wit and dry humor make them interesting to watch. If you didn't learn anything from his recent demos I suspect you had some sort of Axe to grind.

Keep those links coming guys and gals--I love watching them all--even if they're not Yamaha.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#300250 - 12/04/10 05:00 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#300251 - 12/04/10 05:10 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
woo does this mean u actually bought one Scott??

#300252 - 12/04/10 05:15 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Nick G: Find out HERE !

#300253 - 12/05/10 12:33 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
gilbert Offline

Gary,

Thanks for your post and I concur with all the points you make,however it would have been nice to hear the studio demos i,e voices and styles through the normal speaker.This is what the customer will eventually hear,which is somewhat different to the high power systems used in even the one man studio demos.

Gilbert.

#300254 - 12/05/10 12:48 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Nick G: Find out HERE !

I think the original question from DNJ was for you to judge, I think he was implying he didn't think it was WOW, I don't either, if this was the first time you had ever clapped eyes on Voncken you would want it to be your last. And to have the full 2 hrs DVD with this as the trailer hells, bells please no. It's crap whatever speakers it's coming through.

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 12-05-2010).]

#300255 - 12/05/10 12:49 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
Tony Hughes Offline

Sorry double post

[This message has been edited by Tony Hughes (edited 12-05-2010).]

#300256 - 12/05/10 03:00 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Gary,

Thanks for your post and I concur with all the points you make,however it would have been nice to hear the studio demos i,e voices and styles through the normal speaker.This is what the customer will eventually hear,which is somewhat different to the high power systems used in even the one man studio demos.

Gilbert.

I think the only way to assess speakers as an individual is to be in the same room as them and listen to them directly with your ears.
Any other way of hearing via speakers remotely would depend on use of (stereo?) mics and all the extra variability and degradation that would introduce and you'd never be able to trust what you hear for the purposes of making an assessment. Plus you can't get away from the fact that the quality you eventually hear of the "demo" is further distorted by the characteristics of the sound and speaker system you listen to it on at home.
Any "normal" internet demo that tries to give decent sound quality will take signals directly from say line out and bypass any speakers to make the audio file. Can't really blame them for that I think?

john

#300257 - 12/05/10 07:16 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..

Quote:
it would have been nice to hear the studio demos i,e voices and styles through the normal speaker.This is what the customer will eventually hear,which is somewhat different to the high power systems used in even the one man studio demos.

Gilbert.

Keep in mind that the Tyros series of keyboards does not have onboard speakers. The optional speakers, which are well suited for the keyboard, work great in a studio setting, but just about useless in a large venue. And, what you hear from YouTube is recorded via another system. Therefore the sound quality will depend upon the recording system, mics used for recording, positioning of the mic(s), crowd noise, and a host of other factors that will have a dramatic influence on what you hear with a demo. And, of course, your playback system will have a significant bearing on what you, as an individual consumer, hears. I use a Yamaha MS-50 sound system with my PC. It does a great job. However, when I hook up the Logitech Z-5500 system to the computer it's mind blowing.

As I've said in the past, unless the demonstrations use the Line-Out of the keyboard directly into the recording system it would be extremely difficult to make a judgement call about what you hear from the demos. If the line-out IS used, then you can use the sound system that you would normally employ in the studio, or on the job, thereby providing you with a realistic idea of what to anticipate from the keyboard.

Cheers,

Gary

#300258 - 12/06/10 09:19 AM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..
124 Offline

This being Voncken, and presumably an officially sanctioned Yamaha demonstration, wouldn't Yamaha have had a 'no cameras, no recorders' policy on the door. That's the trouble now, every Tom, Dick and Harry is sporting a cell phone and allows for this crap to go worldwide. I don't doubt Voncken's abilities for one second, but this sort of exposure doesn't do Yamaha any favours, unless you subscribe to the 'any publicity is good publicity' theory.

#300259 - 12/06/10 01:21 PM Re: Tyros 4 presented by Michel Voncken you be the judge..

Quote:
Originally posted by 124:
...but this sort of exposure doesn't do Yamaha any favours, unless you subscribe to the 'any publicity is good publicity' theory.

Ever heard of Monica Lewinsky?

I'll give you an example of publicity and how it works. I learned this in a sales pitch lesson for selling print media advertising.

There are 7 mountains in Colorado, USA higher than Pikes Peak--can you name one of them? Didn't think so. The mountain on a container of Coors Light--you got it!

Gary

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online