SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#299553 - 11/20/10 03:42 AM Which arranger can take a serious beating?
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Ok, I've officially used up my PSR-3000. The mic input doesn't work again, the mod wheel is gone, half of one octave in the upper register doesn't work anymore and screen is beginning to get hard to make out.

So I sold it, thinking I'll have time to look for a new one.

But... I forgot I have a gig next weekend.

So instead of waiting for a PSR-S720 or PSR-S920 or what they will be called.. I have to get something new fast.

I have a limited budget, since I haven't had time to save up for a new one.

But now I want something sturdy, that can take a serious beating. I'm playing for drunken maniacs so it needs to not be afraid of a beer or two.

My DGX-305 allbeit light and plasticky, but I played an entire set out in the rain with that thing, and it didn't break. It kept going. After the gig I could pour the water out of it. And it still worked like a charm.

My P250 piano got five pints of beer tossed into the control panel and keys. I just cleaned it with water and blow dried everything. Still works as good as new.

But that PSR-3000 wov... she got broken fast!

Any recommendations? Arranger, built like a tank, not too heavy, can take a punch or two. At least some fruit punch..

DocZ

#299554 - 11/20/10 03:58 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
LMAO !!!! I think you just became the person most likely to have no-one ever lend you their keyboard for a gig

#299555 - 11/20/10 05:22 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by doc-z:
Ok, I've officially used up my PSR-3000. The mic input doesn't work again, the mod wheel is gone, half of one octave in the upper register doesn't work anymore and screen is beginning to get hard to make out.

So I sold it, thinking I'll have time to look for a new one.

But... I forgot I have a gig next weekend.

So instead of waiting for a PSR-S720 or PSR-S920 or what they will be called.. I have to get something new fast.

I have a limited budget, since I haven't had time to save up for a new one.

But now I want something sturdy, that can take a serious beating. I'm playing for drunken maniacs so it needs to not be afraid of a beer or two.

My DGX-305 allbeit light and plasticky, but I played an entire set out in the rain with that thing, and it didn't break. It kept going. After the gig I could pour the water out of it. And it still worked like a charm.

My P250 piano got five pints of beer tossed into the control panel and keys. I just cleaned it with water and blow dried everything. Still works as good as new.

But that PSR-3000 wov... she got broken fast!

Any recommendations? Arranger, built like a tank, not too heavy, can take a punch or two. At least some fruit punch..

DocZ

Doc,

The Audya, did I just say that, at least it will remind you of your PSR-3000. Screens flickers, speakers don't work, locks up, INT PHASE ERROR you certailnly don't have and thats FOC, can you wait until Christmas for the Wersi Wing.

Good luck Doc
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#299556 - 11/20/10 05:29 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
LMAO !!!! I think you just became the person most likely to have no-one ever lend you their keyboard for a gig

Nigel,

Skude would probably give him the Audya to see it die, long and drawn out.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#299557 - 11/20/10 06:30 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
To answer your question,
I am afraid no keyboard ever made would stand the abuse your instruments seem to have had,hope you have learned a few lessons to safeguard any future keyboard you may purchase.

Gilbert.

#299558 - 11/20/10 06:48 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gilbert:
To answer your question,
I am afraid no keyboard ever made would stand the abuse your instruments seem to have had,hope you have learned a few lessons to safeguard any future keyboard you may purchase.

Gilbert.

No Gilbert, MS would, built like a battleship in Italy, in any color you want, but not in battleship grey!

#299559 - 11/20/10 07:17 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Tony,
doc-z did say arranger.

Any recommendations? Arranger, built like a tank, not too heavy, can take a punch or two. At least some fruit punch.

Is MS an arranger?

Gilbert.

#299560 - 11/20/10 07:54 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gilbert:
Tony,
doc-z did say arranger.

Any recommendations? Arranger, built like a tank, not too heavy, can take a punch or two. At least some fruit punch.

Is MS an arranger?

Gilbert.

Well Gilbert I am not so sure what the hell MS is or is not!

#299561 - 11/20/10 07:59 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
Safeguarding - not an option...

The DGX-305 was built like a tank... or at least a plastic toy tank. But I think because the electronics in it were based around very low current low voltage, it didn't mind getting wet.

Gear abuse is a part of being on the road. Transporting, rigging, girls using your keyboard as a support structure for their breasts - and guys suddenly deciding spraying you with beer is a reality I just have had to learn to put up with.

The DGX survived 4 years on the road, the PSR-3000 only 1.5 years. A bit ironic that the PSR cost me twice the price of the DGX. Well it sounded better, but it didn't pass the grade on being road wurthy.

I'm looking at a used PSR-900 and a new PSR-S710, and also considering the PA800 and PA2X. Seems no-one is selling a used G70 or E60 here so something cheap and used doesn't seem to be an option right now.

Both the Audya, Wersi and MediaStation are insanely expensive. I have to work like 7 gigs to pay for one of those... and they will probably only last me a year or two. Not cost effective enough.

More suggestions welcome

DocZ

#299562 - 11/20/10 08:15 AM Re: Which arranger can take a serious beating?
Dnj Offline

ROLAND G70

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online