Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#298602 - 11/02/10 06:11 PM Re: Bose L1 & Tyros: Advice needed
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by TP123:
You guys really piss me off sometimes... and this is not aimed at any one person... and its sad to see the forum de-generate into what it has...

Please let me be blunt. I don't give a flying F about this whole bashing of Bose, the constant mono/stereo debate etc.
and BTW after talking with musicians I believe that stuff is a non-issue... at least for what _I want_. I have a full PA system that would/will thump you... that ain't what THIS is for. To each tool its own work!

Sooooo please either answer my questions or take it outside...

I don't want to hear the BS that... oh I/you made a misstake... BOSE sucksm oh you need to spend another 2 grand... yada yada....
IT IS WHAT IT IS and you either have answers or ya don't.

I DID NOT ASK FOR OPINION

Thank you

Okay... so, what is your question? thanks.

#298603 - 11/02/10 06:29 PM Re: Bose L1 & Tyros: Advice needed
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
truberto... thanks very much.

I spent a great hour on the phone with da one and only Gary and have spent some time over at the Bose forum. I spent 2-3 hours just now playing the Tyros 1 and a iPod thru the Bose L1 (Classic 750watt) with 2 B1's. I tried single cord from the L/R out of the KB as well as both L & R and into both Channels 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 and 1 & 4 on the L1. I like using 1 and 4 as it leaves Ch 2 open for another mic for a guest or for my harp mic.

1a) Getting the gain balance between the KB and the unit is critcal. I'm sure this has already been discussed but...
here are some thoughts... based on this short first hand usage.

1b) It is lOUD as any 1000 watt system I've played thru and the bass via the 2 B1's was in fact a little too much... plenty of thump there for the dance floor. At the opposite end at the low background dinner music mode it has that deep lush sound I love.

2) Good or bad... the L1 does not 'color'... save for the built in EQ pre-sets and the 3 band EQ on the handy remote as well as the EQ on the KB itself. I am hearing things that in my other system (Yamaha EMX88(?) stereo PA (800 watts) into 2 15" Peavey's) went unheard or at least unnoticed (both good and bad). To be clearer... any and every 'mistake' one (I) makes is ahhhhhhh... more obvious?

3) Playing comps and solos over Mega-voice MIDI files I've arranged.... even with just one cord out of the L/R and with a lot of L/R panned stuff in the files... I did not not hear every channel and instr. and I also did not hear any phase problems. I believe that, at least for me, a trained audio, broadcasting and entertainment professional with more than 25 years under my belt... both the stereo/mono and the phase shifting... are non-issues.

4) With the quality of this system I don't think I'll miss stereo one bit nor do I think will my audiences.
In fact I also believe that there is a sales-factor to using the Bose system as it's rep in the general public is so high.

The L1 system IS a new way of thinking about sound reinforcement. IT AIN'T YOUR DADDY'S PA. There's a reason there is no record out or effects... It does one thing and that one thing very well... faithfully making your music loud.

Although one can hook it up to a traditional PA system I'm hard pressed to understand the need to do so... I also think the idea of two L1's is un-needed and perhaps is over kill BUT I've not heard that config. so I defer to those that have.

Thanks to those that helped with all the info over the past few weeks.. my BACK also thanks you as will my fans (yes I have a few! And time is money and the set up time and the weight/size issue is not to be ignored. Although it came with nice heavy duty canvas bags... I'm ordering custom made ATA road cases (and I may buy a L1 Compact as pack up and for extra loud/large gigs) but come spring and for the fair tour next summer I'll be hitting the road with the Bose L1.

And simply put I think the L1 is BETTER than the old way, SIMPLER to set up and the sound is STELLAR.

As they said on Star Trek... "May your reality be as pleasant".

TP123

#298604 - 11/02/10 06:33 PM Re: Bose L1 & Tyros: Advice needed
TP123 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Okay... so, what is your question? thanks.

HEY! Howzit!? I remember you from your great old gig site right?

I got the answers I needed. Do you or have you used the L1 with a Tyros?

If so what was/is your experience?

Tks

#298605 - 11/02/10 08:34 PM Re: Bose L1 & Tyros: Advice needed
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TP123:
truberto... thanks very much.

I spent a great hour on the phone with da one and only Gary and have spent some time over at the Bose forum. I spent 2-3 hours just now playing the Tyros 1 and a iPod thru the Bose L1 (Classic 750watt) with 2 B1's. I tried single cord from the L/R out of the KB as well as both L & R and into both Channels 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 and 1 & 4 on the L1. I like using 1 and 4 as it leaves Ch 2 open for another mic for a guest or for my harp mic.

1a) Getting the gain balance between the KB and the unit is critcal. I'm sure this has already been discussed but...
here are some thoughts... based on this short first hand usage.

1b) It is lOUD as any 1000 watt system I've played thru and the bass via the 2 B1's was in fact a little too much... plenty of thump there for the dance floor. At the opposite end at the low background dinner music mode it has that deep lush sound I love.

2) Good or bad... the L1 does not 'color'... save for the built in EQ pre-sets and the 3 band EQ on the handy remote as well as the EQ on the KB itself. I am hearing things that in my other system (Yamaha EMX88(?) stereo PA (800 watts) into 2 15" Peavey's) went unheard or at least unnoticed (both good and bad). To be clearer... any and every 'mistake' one (I) makes is ahhhhhhh... more obvious?

3) Playing comps and solos over Mega-voice MIDI files I've arranged.... even with just one cord out of the L/R and with a lot of L/R panned stuff in the files... I did not not hear every channel and instr. and I also did not hear any phase problems. I believe that, at least for me, a trained audio, broadcasting and entertainment professional with more than 25 years under my belt... both the stereo/mono and the phase shifting... are non-issues.

4) With the quality of this system I don't think I'll miss stereo one bit nor do I think will my audiences.
In fact I also believe that there is a sales-factor to using the Bose system as it's rep in the general public is so high.

The L1 system IS a new way of thinking about sound reinforcement. IT AIN'T YOUR DADDY'S PA. There's a reason there is no record out or effects... It does one thing and that one thing very well... faithfully making your music loud.

Although one can hook it up to a traditional PA system I'm hard pressed to understand the need to do so... I also think the idea of two L1's is un-needed and perhaps is over kill BUT I've not heard that config. so I defer to those that have.

Thanks to those that helped with all the info over the past few weeks.. my BACK also thanks you as will my fans (yes I have a few! And time is money and the set up time and the weight/size issue is not to be ignored. Although it came with nice heavy duty canvas bags... I'm ordering custom made ATA road cases (and I may buy a L1 Compact as pack up and for extra loud/large gigs) but come spring and for the fair tour next summer I'll be hitting the road with the Bose L1.

And simply put I think the L1 is BETTER than the old way, SIMPLER to set up and the sound is STELLAR.

As they said on Star Trek... "May your reality be as pleasant".

TP123

Now get (2) to run in stereo and you'll be all set

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#298606 - 11/02/10 10:10 PM Re: Bose L1 & Tyros: Advice needed
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No, it ain't your Daddy's PA... and it ain't your contemporary PA, either. What is a PA FOR..? Yep, you want to play for your audience. OK... mission accomplished.

BUT.... most people I know doing a show (myself included) tend to want to record our show every now and again, get a real world recording of what we are doing live. Most people also like a little reverb at least on their voice, and other acoustic things being plugged into the PA. For some reason, you could do this on your Daddy's PA... but not on Bose's (not without ponying up another $700 or so, anyway).

Thing is, if it wants to bill itself as the PA of the future, you'd think (especially as these features are not exactly very expensive or difficult to implement) that they would include ALL the commonly used PA features. But no... Bose have figured out you saps will happily pony up another $700 for stuff that is on EVERY PA mixer at just about everything but the absolute bottom dollar (definitely NOT Bose's market segment!).

Sound is sound. You can decide to like or dislike the Bose 'sound' (but please don't insult anyone's intelligence by claiming it is 'flat' in any sense of the word!) but basic PA features are commonplace... except on Bose PA's, that is.

#298607 - 11/02/10 11:01 PM Re: Bose L1 & Tyros: Advice needed
TP123 Offline

Your opinions are well established...
thanks for sharing.

#298608 - 11/03/10 07:34 PM Re: Bose L1 & Tyros: Advice needed
TP123 Offline

A few other thoughts/experiences:

1) Hooked the L1 up to my old traditional PA... for super large gigs would use the L1 for KB and the PA for vocals and FOH.

2) With a little separation between the L1 tower and the B1 subs I did feel/hear a little stereo sep. there. While I think 2 for stereo is overkill I'd love to hear it... and be able to afford it.

3) The thing about the Bose is that vocally it shows any and all flaws... almost magnifies them and it will take a little getting use to.

4) Its LOUD as hell and the two B1's provide lots of thump... its almost too bassy really.

5) Soniclly its a little like the difference between analog and digital.

6) The fast set up and lightweightness can not be overstated.

I would love to hear from any other Tyros/L1 users.

Thanks for all PM's and thanks Gary for taking time on the phone to help me get it dialed in.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online