SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#298545 - 11/01/10 09:35 PM Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

or is it the same MFD as all the rest?

#298546 - 11/01/10 10:11 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?

Regrettably No!

#298547 - 11/01/10 10:11 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Scottyee Offline

Regrettably No!

#298548 - 11/01/10 10:25 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Regrettably No!

So when is Tyros 5 coming out?

#298549 - 11/02/10 09:38 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Yes it does.

Transpose song put in MFD.

Recall and you will see the transposed setting at top of main screen.

Gilbert.

#298550 - 11/02/10 09:42 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by gilbert:
Yes it does.

Transpose song put in MFD.

Recall and you will see the transposed setting at top of main screen.

Gilbert.

Gilbert you are talking about a "Registration setting song" transpose ....NOT a SMF...correct?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-02-2010).]

#298551 - 11/02/10 09:55 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
gilbert Offline

Dng,
I am talking about being able to transpose a song and tranfer that to the MFD And the Transpose is Retained in the MDF.

That was the Question, yes?

#298552 - 11/02/10 10:02 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Gilbert.....

make all your setting within a registration...vol, sounds, whatever....then change the key lets say transpose it -2......now SAVE & Name the Registration.......now try to put that registration into the T4 or any Tyros or psr unit MFD and have it retain the Key change if you could see the song on the MFD and when you select it it's there.

#298553 - 11/02/10 10:10 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
gilbert Offline

Exactly.

You can also transpose a MDF file if you first transfer it to Favorites.

I have just done it on my Tyros4.I know it works.

Gilbert. Ps I said in my last post, song, short for reg settings

[This message has been edited by gilbert (edited 11-02-2010).]

#298554 - 11/02/10 10:27 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Scottyee Offline

I think some clarification may be needed here. The T4 music finder supports 3 DIFFERENT types of data:

1) Style files (Song Title, Style, Beat, Tempo)
2) Song (midi file linked from T4 midi player section)
3) Audio (audio file linked from T4 audio player section)

MFD merely links a midi file of which the transpose setting were set in the midiplayer section of the kb. That said, the MFD feature doesn't support saving/storing transpose setting for MFD songs utilizing & calling up 'styles'. As with previous Tyros/PSR models, only the following are supported: song Title, style, beat, tempo.

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 11-02-2010).]

#298555 - 11/02/10 10:59 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
gilbert Offline

Scott,
Tried it again and.I stand corrected.

I did not realise on the first try I was saving a MFD registration you are correct in that only style and transpose that can be saved and not the registration,
Well something else I have Learnt.I apologize for my confusion.

Gilbert.

#298556 - 11/02/10 11:09 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Scottyee Offline

Gilbert. . . no worries, all good! That said, looking forward to hearing more from you and your exciting new musical journey with Tyros4.

#298557 - 11/02/10 11:57 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Donny, have you requested this change to Yamaha Support?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#298558 - 11/02/10 12:33 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:

He mentioned it to Ian...does that count..

#298559 - 11/02/10 01:26 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Scottyee Offline

hi kbrkr Al: I don't know about DNJ, but I've certainly done 'my part', as I've not only brought up the MusicFinder 'transpose request" to Yamaha formally in a 'video taped' 'one on one' Yam arr keyboard product evaluation meeting, in which a Japanese Yamaha exec presided over, but also directly to Martin Harris (at NAMM) as well.

In addition, I proposed to them to go one important step further to make MusicFinder more useful & powerful, by simply adding a 'reg file' field, which would call up a Reg. file, of which would call up a vast number more keyboard performance settings (split point, lyrics text file, etc, the list is endless).

Perhaps DNJ would have far more influence with Yamaha than me.

#298560 - 11/02/10 02:25 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
He mentioned it to Ian...does that count..

It certainly does count.

I'm in touch with Yamaha Head Office several times a day, at least.

Ian

#298561 - 11/02/10 03:43 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
So much for an organized net poll for stuff we WANT...

#298562 - 11/02/10 03:47 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:

I have sent emails, talked to some influential Yamaha people also since the MFD was introduced and so far it is still a feature that is not included in the OS....It's probably going to take a total revamp of the system to include saving registration information to include transpose in future models if at all...

KORG got it right in their release of the "SONGBOOK" feature on their PA800/Pax units, works like a charm retaining ALL User song info on REG/SMF/MP3 in one list.
If KOPRG would only change their ancient folder system OS I'd probably change units & return to playing a KORG. These manufacturers need to talk to Real gigging musicians in the trenches daily when they are developing these units to coincide with their R&D departments to get ideas on what to include that makes sense & in the long run improve sales.

Gilbert thanx for trying.....

Scott as always great explanation..

carry on

#298563 - 11/02/10 03:50 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny,
I'm now curious what in the Korg file system is a problem for your operations?
Maybe I can learn something here?
Thanks

Lee S.

#298564 - 11/02/10 03:50 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
So much for an organized net poll for stuff we WANT...

Chord Sequencer.........
New MFD, New OS,.......etc,...?

heck what do we know?

#298565 - 11/02/10 04:01 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I don't get it; 4 generations of keyboard (10 years) and no enhancements, fixes, or feature requests?

Who was it on this board that said Yamaha listens to their customers?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#298566 - 11/02/10 04:29 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
hi kbrkr Al: I don't know about DNJ, but I've certainly done 'my part', as I've not only brought up the MusicFinder 'transpose request" to Yamaha formally in a 'video taped' 'one on one' Yam arr keyboard product evaluation meeting, in which a Japanese Yamaha exec presided over, but also directly to Martin Harris (at NAMM) as well.

In addition, I proposed to them to go one important step further to make MusicFinder more useful & powerful, by simply adding a 'reg file' field, which would call up a Reg. file, of which would call up a vast number more keyboard performance settings (split point, lyrics text file, etc, the list is endless).

Perhaps DNJ would have far more influence with Yamaha than me.

Scott I can't believe that simply linking to a reg file is all that difficult for Yamaha programmers. That would really be helpful. What helped move to Korg ( aside of DNJs influence a few years ago) was Songbook in the Korg. I'm sure Al found that feature useful too. The improved MFD system was also one of the features that brought me back to Yamaha.

#298567 - 11/02/10 04:29 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
I don't get it; 4 generations of keyboard (10 years) and no enhancements, fixes, or feature requests?

Who was it on this board that said Yamaha listens to their customers?

I'll have to agree..... but it's not just Yamaha, they all are at fault ..choosing a keyboard today of any kind is a balancing act with How much of a "WORKAROUND" the customer can withstand being the Star until the next model release !

#298568 - 11/02/10 04:35 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Scott I can't believe that simply linking to a reg file is all that difficult for Yamaha programmers. That would really be helpful. What helped move to Korg ( aside of DNJs influence a few years ago) was Songbook in the Korg. I'm sure Al found that feature useful too. The improved MFD system was also one of the features that brought me back to Yamaha.

As it stands now the MFD is NON EXSISTENT on my S910...I have NEVER used it at all on any of my Yamaha units because of this missing feature, useless for a singer......

#298569 - 11/02/10 04:41 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
I can't believe that simply linking to a reg file is all that difficult for Yamaha programmers.

Neither can I. Go figure!

#298570 - 11/02/10 04:47 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
What needs to happen is QUIT buying these things...make sure they know why and then things will change...as long as they sell the SHxx out of them why should they spend money making them better(things we want/need)?

My only guess is that since they listen MOSTLY to the home keyboard players...that's why things are not being updated/fixed. Evidently they are not askig for some of this stuff?

Lee S.

#298571 - 11/02/10 05:03 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Beakybird Offline

The MFD is great for learning songs and coming up with ideas.

It's best to use Registration memory to completely set up a song, however. You can not only select style and tempo, but transpose, mic settings, initial instrument, reverb, eq, the whole mix.

The MFD is great for seeking ideas but not for performing.

On a Yamaha keyboard, the registration system has everything one needs to develop a catalog of song material. Transpose on the MFD would be a nice thing, but I cannot see why it is essential.

Beakybird

#298572 - 11/02/10 05:11 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
It's best to use Registration memory to completely set up a song, however. You can not only select style and tempo, but transpose, mic settings, initial instrument, reverb, eq, the whole mix.

The MFD is great for seeking ideas but not for performing.

On a Yamaha keyboard, the registration system has everything one needs to develop a catalog of song material. Transpose on the MFD would be a nice thing, but I cannot see why it is essential.

Beakybird

I've never used the MFD when performing...it is handy for some things, but, registrations are, by far, the best way to do sets.

With so much storage available, you can have as many registrations as you need, and instantaneous access.

Ian

#298573 - 11/02/10 05:13 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

the entire MFD needs to be redesigned IMO.

#298574 - 11/02/10 07:05 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
So could you transpose a style and save it as style xyz and then link that to the MFD to get the result you want?

Graham

#298575 - 11/03/10 02:40 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Stephenm52 Offline

I hate to beat a dead horse...........but I use music finder at every gig in conjunction with registrations. That doesn't mean that I'm linking them to regs because as we know that can't be done.

What I do is remove the factory MFD file that's something like 1500 plus entries. Many of the suggested entries for songs on the factory music finder I don't like I replace it with my custom MFD roughly 300 tunes and midi files. So now I've got a very manageable list and while I'm performing one song it's no problem to scroll to the next tune I'm going to play.

For singing I simply note either the key I'm going to sing the tune in or what works well is just enter -2, -1, +1, or + 2 etc. in the title entry in music finder. That's an easy reference that when I start the tune I need to hit the transpose button up or down. I also note in the title (thanks to Scott Yee for the suggestion) that I make notes for what instruments play on each OTS. So for instance an mfd entry look something like this:

Fly Me to Moon, -2, 1P2JG3S4Ham

Which would translate to hit transpose button down 2 steps OTS 1 Piano OTS 2 Jazz Guitar OTS3 Sax OTS 4 Hammond Organ . I also have a set of registrations for instrument voices easily accessible so that I can use those in place of the OTS settings. Many times I replace the OTS settings by revising the style. All my revised styles are saved to the hard drive in a folder scheme that mimics the on board folder scheme with the music finder on T4 and s910 it's simply one touch to the button "mf" that adds the file to music finder.

No it's not as good as Songbook on the Korg, but it's a very usuable system.

#298576 - 11/03/10 02:53 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
What I do is remove the factory MFD file that's something like 1500 plus entries. Many of the suggested entries for songs on the factory music finder I don't like I replace it with my custom MFD roughly 300 tunes and midi files. So now I've got a very manageable list and while I'm performing one song it's no problem to scroll to the next tune I'm going to play.

For singing I simply note either the key I'm going to sing the tune in or what works well is just enter -2, -1, +1, or + 2 etc. in the title entry in music finder. That's an easy reference that when I start the tune I need to hit the transpose button up or down. I also note in the title (thanks to Scott Yee for the suggestion) that I make notes for what instruments play on each OTS. So for instance an mfd entry look something like this:

Which would translate to hit transpose button down 2 steps OTS 1 Piano OTS 2 Jazz Guitar OTS3 Sax OTS 4 Hammond Organ . I also have a set of registrations for instrument voices easily accessible so that I can use those in place of the OTS settings. Many times I replace the OTS settings by revising the style. All my revised styles are saved to the hard drive in a folder scheme that mimics the on board folder scheme with the music finder on T4 and s910 it's simply one touch to the button "mf" that adds the file to music finder.

No it's not as good as Songbook on the Korg, but it's a very usuable system.

Steve, that is a great system (big thanks to Scott as well), and I will pass this on to my clients.

Very workable.

Thank you.

#298577 - 11/03/10 05:22 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Which would translate to hit transpose button down 2 steps OTS 1 Piano OTS 2 Jazz Guitar OTS3 Sax OTS 4 Hammond Organ .

Now I hope Yamaha is reading this ridiculous uneeded hodgepodge of steps we have to go thru if you want to use the MFD in its current state....no wonder no one hardly uses it in a real gigging situation ALL this information should be on screen & Transpose saved...a;so the display should be a little bit bigger also on all units tilt or not. Yamaha wake up please.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-03-2010).]

#298578 - 11/03/10 06:04 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Now I hope Yamaha is reading this ridiculous uneeded hodgepodge of steps we have to go thru if you want to use the MFD in its current state....no wonder no one hardly uses it in a real gigging situation ALL this information should be on screen & Transpose saved...a;so the display should be a little bit bigger also on all units tilt or not. Yamaha wake up please.

Donny I'd love to see Yamaha improve further on mfd and a larger screen on the next S series would work well too no doubt about it.

#298579 - 11/03/10 06:15 AM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Donny I'd love to see Yamaha improve further on mfd and a larger screen on the next S series would work well too no doubt about it.
lets hope so steve a display screen like on the roland fanthom units would be excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Kf-32i-TQ&feature=related

#298580 - 11/03/10 08:03 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Ketron_AJ Offline

Loc: Middletown, DE
DNJ,

With Ketron (AUDYA, but most apply back to previous Ketron Products), you can also store within a Registration (appart from the obvious style, transpose, voices ... etc)...
* Another Registration.
* Style(s).
* Voice(s).
* Wave
* Mp3
* User Voice List

Let me further expain why I included style and voice above.

When you recall a Registration, ofcourse the keyboard sets up exactly as it was for that song. However, F1-F10 (X 2 pages) can now be used to instantly access styles, voices ... etc (depending on what you stored in there BEFORE saving to a Registration.

So at a show, you can instantly recall a Song setting/Register, and as you are playing, press F4 (which could be a Midifile and it's new transposed value which starts playing either instantly or at the start of the next measure - depending on how you programmed it), or F1 (FLUTE) to instantly access the flute, or F2 Dance.wav (which could be a wave file) or ... choises come close to being endless.

The BLOCK REGISTRATION takes it up a level where you can now store many (20) Single Registrations / Song settings which you can recall ... on the fly!

#298581 - 11/03/10 08:16 PM Re: Does Tyros 4 Music Finder Directory Save Transpose also now?
Dnj Offline

AJ thanx for the explanation .....
I am aware that the Audya has features no other arranger has .....as per demonstrated by yourself to me on numerous occasions & I appreciate that Mucho!! Flexibility in Navigation is critical to a performer..
I'll be in touch.

Thanx again

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online