SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#298522 - 11/01/10 09:11 PM T4-A4 Road trip
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Semilive and I took a little trip down to Lufkin, TX to see our friend Don Patterson.
He is lucky enough to own both and Audya 4 module and a Tyros 4.
He has them both connected via midi to each other and as slaves to his Roland accordian.
He has two Roland Cubes set up for his sound system and I must admit they sounded really good in his small music room. You could easily do a nursing home job with the Cubes.
The Audya 4 appears to be exactly like the original Audya except it has multi-tabs, a slightly different arrangement of buttons and no keys. It is pretty large for a module, but is a manageable weight.
The Tyros 4 was my main reason for the trip and I was able to play with it for several hours, exchanging ideas and questions with Bill and Don.
My impressions, for what they are worth:
I have said for years that my main two reasons for not buying Yamaha again were the weak drums and terribly out-dated vocal harmonizer. I'm happy to report that both have been addressed. Not totally cured, but at the very least vastly improved. I don't have a problem at all with the new vocal harmonizer. There are numerous good-sounding presets and nearly unlimited editing capabilities. It's a major step up (at long last) for Yamaha. Still only a 1/4-inch mic input (WHY???!!!)
The mic input is still very flaky as far as getting the input level right without overdriving and getting it loud enough on the output end, but it can be done, and the mic processing is excellent, as usual.
Now to the drums. They have added several new kits and they are truly more believable, at least on the newer styles. They have left many of the legacy styles (still in the large majority) alone and and they still apparently use the old kits because many sound the same as the past 7 or 8 generations of Yamaha arrangers.
I really enjoyed the Big Band/Swing type styles and the many beautiful Ballad styles. The Latins were certainly more than good enough for the little I use them. The Rock and Rock n Roll Styles had several new ones and most of them sounded really good, drums included. The vocal backing in the style parts sound great but are overused, imo. They can be easily edited, muted or changed to other sounds though. There were a lot of gimmicky yells and screams that sound really neat but are not really commerially useable other than showing off the keyboard. Some of these were brought into play via the SA buttons, so just don't push them!
One of my favorite musical genres is Country Western. Here the T4 falls very short, particularly in the older stuff, such as basic shuffles and anything using a rim shot.
If I were to consider getting one of these I'd have to go in and changed every drum kit to one in which the sounds are at least acceptable, but I suppose that is possible, since I did hear usuable drums on some of the styles. I would have to find some Multipad strums to help. I would also have to find, edit or load some Country Waltzs. There is one and it has a I-V alternating bass line that doesn't work for many songs. In other words this has not changed since days of PSR8000.
I did find several good Waltzs in other categories that could be edited pretty easily.
There are quite a few really song-specific styles on board, such as House of the Rising Sun, My Girl, Whiter Shade of Pale, /Whad I Say?, Bluebery Hill etc. That's o.k. because there are still a lot that are more generic too.
Where the T4 really shines is in the lead voices. The saxes have always been great and they did not disappoint. The Pianos are very good to my ears, but not nearly as realistic as Audya. There are a whole new slew of Vocal sounds and there are very good ones, maybe approaching the Roland Vocal sounds. There are also a lot of gimmicky ones that, again, would grow old if used very often.
I fell in love with the Pedal Steel guitar, and several of the many lead Guitar sounds. You could fool a guitar player with them.
There is a wonderful Clarinet. I didn't really listen to the Strings, except in the style parts. The Brass sounds were good as ever, nothing sounded really new, but I didn't explore them all.
The fact is that the Samples are probably no better or worse than Ketron, but Yamaha has gone to great lengths to provide the proper effects, tonality and articulation to make them totally realistic in a song situation.
The OTS system is well-thought-out and most seem to match and complement the associated styles.
The Pads have a multitude of great-sounding riffs and patterns that also have been well-chosen to go with the associated styles. They are also easily accessed and changed.
The key touch is more suited to my aging fingers and hands than more weighted ones would be. I found the keys very responsive and I like the touch a lot.
This is a keyboard I could take right now to a job and have full confidence in finding a useable setup for just about any song.
In summation, I was impressed, but not blown away by the T4. I wouldn't trade my Audya for it, but I wouldn't mind at all having one either!
I'm sure Bill and Don will chime in here.
DonM

#298523 - 11/01/10 09:33 PM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Dnj Offline

Don,

Thanx for a honest unbiased review of the Tyros4. I'm glad you had a chance to try one.I pretty much predicted everything you said knowing the information I've read & heard from many T4 owners already...
I'm sticking to my plan to wait for NAMM in January 2011 & see what turns up from the other manufacturers.

#298524 - 11/02/10 02:37 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Thanks Don...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#298525 - 11/02/10 04:02 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Dom,

A first rate Honest report, totally unbiased and as seen through the eyes and ears of a professional.

This is so valuable to us lowly home players who can be overwhelmed by some of the BS and rivalry of a mix interest forums.

Thanks for this excellent post.

Gilbert.

[This message has been edited by gilbert (edited 11-02-2010).]

#298526 - 11/02/10 05:11 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Don great post no question about it. Your review is very credible and as Gilbert mentioned it's thru the eyes and ears of a professional, thank you for taking the time to play the board and reviewing it.

#298527 - 11/02/10 05:19 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Good one Don. Very unbiased and honest. Nice to see.

Ian

#298528 - 11/02/10 05:44 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
This is a honest, impartial and professional evaluation from DonM.
Tks Don and regards from Brazil
Chico

#298529 - 11/02/10 06:44 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
leezone Offline

Chico

you have AUDYA?

#298530 - 11/02/10 06:52 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I'm a geetar player that plays arranger enough to get by, so, take it for what that's worth.

The Tyros guitars... I am still not impressed except for steel. The other guitars still sound to me like a toy. They don't sound like guitars to me, anyway. Sound like a cheap imitation. Steel is pretty good. I think some of the Audya guitars are amazing.

The Tyros drums are better on some styles but still cannot touch Audya. Also, the bass on the Audya is far superior... it's not as much the sound as it is the bass lines themselves, seems to me.

Tyros vocal harmony seems to be vastly improved.

Yamaha piano is always good. Although Audya has killer piano, too, maybe even better. Organ is important and I forgot to check those.

I have said this many times on this forum and I know it falls on deaf ears and that is fine, to each his own... but right hand voices don't mean too much to me. Generally, I favor arranger players only playing right hand sounds made by a keyboard... piano, organ, etc. I like some guitar sometimes but even that, I think is overused.

Overall, I think it's a really good arranger but nothing touches the Audya for a live band sound. Tyros is fine but Audya is sensational.

The Cubes did sound really good but so does the lowly Logitech system and it costs a fraction of what two of the Cubes cost.

One reason I bought the Audya is for recording. My understanding is that you can record up to 8 separate channels. And I still have not tried that! If it does that, that could be very helpful for a songwriter like me.

Tyros wins for cost, weight, size, third party styles and tech support.

Thanks Don Patterson for allowing us in!

And if anyone wants to know where the best Mexican restaurant is in the USA, we now know. I blew my diet but hey, if you're gonna blow it, really blow it!

#298531 - 11/02/10 07:44 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Q-HC3h-ww&feature=player_embedded#!

Some nice guitar work by Peter Baartmans in this clip, as well as some other sounds/styles.(In his native language).

Ian

#298532 - 11/02/10 07:58 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I'm a geetar player that plays arranger enough to get by, so, take it for what that's worth.

The Tyros guitars... I am still not impressed except for steel. The other guitars still sound to me like a toy. They don't sound like guitars to me, anyway. Sound like a cheap imitation. Steel is pretty good. I think some of the Audya guitars are amazing.

The Tyros drums are better on some styles but still cannot touch Audya. Also, the bass on the Audya is far superior... it's not as much the sound as it is the bass lines themselves, seems to me.

Tyros vocal harmony seems to be vastly improved.

Yamaha piano is always good. Although Audya has killer piano, too, maybe even better. Organ is important and I forgot to check those.

I have said this many times on this forum and I know it falls on deaf ears and that is fine, to each his own... but right hand voices don't mean too much to me. Generally, I favor arranger players only playing right hand sounds made by a keyboard... piano, organ, etc. I like some guitar sometimes but even that, I think is overused.

Overall, I think it's a really good arranger but nothing touches the Audya for a live band sound. Tyros is fine but Audya is sensational.

The Cubes did sound really good but so does the lowly Logitech system and it costs a fraction of what two of the Cubes cost.

One reason I bought the Audya is for recording. My understanding is that you can record up to 8 separate channels. And I still have not tried that! If it does that, that could be very helpful for a songwriter like me.

Tyros wins for cost, weight, size, third party styles and tech support.

Thanks Don Patterson for allowing us in!

And if anyone wants to know where the best Mexican restaurant is in the USA, we now know. I blew my diet but hey, if you're gonna blow it, really blow it!

Thanx Bill....Hmmmmmmmm? now there's a very different honest assessment of the Tyros 4......
for me all I got out of both reviews is that the VH2 Vocal Harmonizer is somewhat improved. My view still stands ....
I will wait until January NAMM 2011.

PS.. at least the Mexican Restaurant sounds REALLY GOOD!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-02-2010).]

#298533 - 11/02/10 08:34 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
Well...to me this is guitar playing..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIuIIqbyEIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0jy1H5qTo

I would like to hear someone do this song on T4, with the guitars that are as close as possible...Or even T3.

Lee S.

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 11-02-2010).]

#298534 - 11/02/10 09:05 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Ian,
Well...to me this is guitar playing..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIuIIqbyEIU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0jy1H5qTo

I would like to hear someone do this song on T4, with the guitars that are as close as possible...Or even T3.

Lee S.

I'd like to hear it done on the Audya......Leeboy?

#298535 - 11/02/10 09:31 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Still only a 1/4-inch mic input (WHY???!!!)

Don, Are you sure about that? I think the Tyros4's mic input is a 'combo jack' which accomodates either balanced XLR or 1/4" input.

Don & Bill, appreciated your balanced & well presented reviews on both the Audya & Tyros4.

Scott

#298536 - 11/02/10 09:52 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Don, Are you sure about that? I think the Tyros4's mic input is a 'combo jack' which accomodates either balanced XLR or 1/4" input.

Don & Bill, appreciated your balanced & well presented reviews on both the Audya & Tyros4.

Scott

Scott it does accomdate XLR or 1/4 inch. I did read that in Don's post and forgot to comment on that.

#298537 - 11/02/10 10:07 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Dnj Offline

Quote:

Scott

hahahahah yea the Ol' Boys eyes are starting to go he's gettin' old !!

#298538 - 11/02/10 10:48 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
ChicoBrasil Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leezone:
Chico

you have AUDYA?

One of my students has an Audya and a SD1 Plus as well.
I have played both and can say that to my repertoire, none of them impressed me.
The problems with audio loops and breaks are there.
Moreover, only Ketron programmers can do bossa nova styles so bad.
Some bossas may do Tom Jobim rise from the grave ... A sacrilege for an expensive kbd.
I have a little Gem GK 360 that values US$ 250 and may well teach Ketrons what is bossa nova.
My musical beach is bossa nova, samba, ballads and jazz.
Then the Ketrons are useless to me.
About Tyros4 I'm wondering if it is worth to spend triple of money to upgrade from my S910.
The big news of new Tyros voices are the scats that I already have them on my old Roland Alpha1 connected as slave( just for scat voices).

#298539 - 11/02/10 11:22 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
DonM Offline

I did overlook the dual mic input. That's a big step up for sure.
DonM

#298540 - 11/02/10 11:34 AM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I did overlook the dual mic input. That's a big step up for sure.
DonM

More like a $1.96 (or probably less) "step up" for Yamaha.

#298541 - 11/02/10 01:22 PM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
leezone Offline

chico,

check your email

#298542 - 11/02/10 02:33 PM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
DonM Offline

Quote:
More like a $1.96 (or probably less) "step up" for Yamaha.

You didn't see the tongue in my cheek?
DonM

#298543 - 11/02/10 03:35 PM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
ChicoBrasil Offline

Lee
You have an email
Chico

#298544 - 11/02/10 03:52 PM Re: T4-A4 Road trip
Dnj Offline

They should have included TWO OF THEM on the TYROS4..!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online