Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#298485 - 11/01/10 04:36 PM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
- The keyboard will probably never move from the house, weight is not a problem

* Can all G-70's be upgraded/updated to the latest operating system version, latest downloadable goodies etc, or I should look for specific models?

* How do I check what OS or other goodies are installed? Is there a key combination available?

Any other data/hints opinions you can give?

Trident,

You would best talk with Diki about the G-70 and how to upgrade it, and, get the most out of it.

He knows more about the instrument than anyone else I know...he can give you all kinds of tips, shortcuts and workarounds.

You can check here as well.

http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php

If I was buying a G-70, I would consult him before and after the sale.

All the best of luck with your purchase.

Ian

#298486 - 11/01/10 05:23 PM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Since the weight isn't an issue I'd go with the Roland- 76 keys and better feel well allow you to grow more technically.

But really go with the one you think sounds best- only you can decide that!

Good luck

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#298487 - 11/01/10 06:12 PM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Hi Trident.

I own an S910.

to be honest I Would trade it with cash on top for a G70 right now!

The S910 has some great sounds and features but one of the biggest draw backs to me is the keyfeel. This is very subjective to personal preference but I learnt to play on an Upright for years which had proper hammer weight keys and the only thing that satisfys me these days in keyboard/synth land is the Motif XS/XF keybed. (I think the Tyros 2, 3, 4 use the exact same keybed).

It makes a lot of difference to the expressiveness in your playing as well...

The keybed is the one major thing that makes the S910 fee like a toy. it is well built, I don't ever fear that it will break or anything but it just feels very soft and springy...

I have used a G70 only in shops for quick 30 min spurts and the key feel is pretty much on par with the best of the business with the Tyros and Motif keybeds. (I Think the PA 2x is good as well from what ive heard but haven't played one)

Roland has a very good Live sound. when you close your eyes listening to the G70 you can picture the band playing on stage.

Its a shame to me that Roland G70s are SO RARE in Australia. The ones I have seen for sale in shops are priced very high to this day.

I have never seen one sell second hand on ebay in Australia. Maybe this is because they are so sought after or people just don't let them go...

I would jump at that bargain you have found without questions asked...

good luck,

Nick

You've got mail Nick

#298488 - 11/01/10 09:00 PM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
At that price, as long as it in good condition, I would get it if I were you. BUT... only if I had played an S910 first.

There's a difference between technology and 'sound'... the latest technology doesn't necessarily mean the 'best' sound. Roland's and Yamaha's seem to come from almost two different planets!

IMO, Roland have a VERY punchy 'in your face', live band sound. Yes, it's heavy, but the reason for much of that is firstly, a BIG, smooth, fantastic feeling, semi-weighted (by that, I mean a cross between standard good plastic keyboards - MoXS, M3, FantomG, etc. and fully weighted piano actions), great feeling action, quite definitely the BEST plastic action I have ever played... piano shaped blacks, but smoother shaped whites, so good for piano AND organ (most piano actions catch your hands on the whites doing smears on organ). Highly recommended (if action makes any difference to you).

Advantages to the S910 come with a MUCH better guitar section, and some very nice lead sounds, SA sax particularly good. Piano I would give a BIG edge to the Roland, though. Unless you like overly bright, thin piano sounds. I tend to like warm and detailed at low velocities. The Yamaha stays bright and cold even at low velocities.

Styles tend to be busier with Yamaha, very full and nicely done, but not so much room for YOU to play. They tend to 'do it all for you' stuff, whereas Roland styles leave a bit more room for you...

The Roland is expandable, and I would recommend adding an SRX board at some point. There's a couple with some GREAT sounds you might really like.

Yamaha's technology is definitely more advanced than Roland, but other than the guitars, in a style, it's not that big an advantage. The sound, and once again, this is MY opinion (but shared by many that don't play Yamaha!), it's a bit on the bland side, very smooth (for a good adjective) and compressed (for a not so complimentary one!). More like listening to a CD than live musicians.

But with work, I am sure the S910 could be made more punchy...

Both keyboards are good. But at that price, the G70 is quite a bargain. Unless you have the same preference for ultra-lightweight action and CD compressed sound that some prefer, I'd go with the Roland. Some would have you believe that choosing Yamaha's MOTL arranger involves NO compromise. Less prejudiced posters might point out that the MOTL of ANY line is a compromise, but you'll seldom hear that from those that use them...

#298489 - 11/01/10 10:03 PM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Ha ha...after that healthy dissertation, Diki, I'd ALMOST buy a G-70 myself, and that's saying a lot since I had one here for a few weeks and thoroughly enjoyed examining how Roland still does things, much as they did in the past when I used to demo them (the E-70 in particular).

For the most part, it's good to see they kept nearly all of the features that I thought were great(no chord sequencer, unfortunately).

I also think you might have convinced Trident, and hope no one else who is reading this forum tries to get the instrument in which he is interested.

Not a bad summation...not bad at all.

Ian

#298490 - 11/01/10 11:10 PM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Thats a very nice evaluation Diki. You make some very good points there. Thanks for being so objective.

#298491 - 11/01/10 11:30 PM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
You've got mail Nick

Hi Miden, thanks but i haven't received anything in my email?? "itsnickg@hotmail.com"

#298492 - 11/02/10 01:00 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Hi Miden, thanks but i haven't received anything in my email?? "itsnickg@hotmail.com"

Hi Nick, thats the address I sent it to...I will try again..

Maybe if you try sending me one to mine I can respond...it may be your spam filter blocking Yahoo mail?? anyhoo mine is jodenmi yahoo com au

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 11-02-2010).]

#298493 - 11/11/10 06:37 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Unfortunately, the available G-70 was taken a day before, and a second was in a very bad condition, boo hoo.

I want to thank you all for your info and help though, it is good to know you can rely on knowledgeable people who can share what they know.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online