SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#298465 - 11/01/10 07:14 AM G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hi there,
there is a possibility that I can get a "new" G-70 V3 for a fantastic price. "New" means it is an open box demo unit (supposedly the last one in the country), but covered with a "3 year warranty" (whatever), and fantastic price is 1200 Euros. (An S910 costs about 1900 Euros here).

Possibility means the guy in the shop may not have last minute information, I will have that information in 2 days time.

I know that nowdays it is supposed to be an older generation keyboard and I have read countless reports, fights and praises for this. It is of course light years ahead from my current setup (not the softsynths, the Casio). Sounds better, feels better, plays better.

The 1200 Euro questions are:
Is there a reason why I SHOULDN'T buy it? Is there something better at that price range?

What should I know before I buy an opened box demo unit? I may look for scratches or hits or whatever, and try to feel the keys, try to discern if it has been played a lot. Other than that what can I do?

#298466 - 11/01/10 07:20 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Dnj Online   content

Talk to Fran Carango

#298467 - 11/01/10 07:34 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Theodore, buy it..especially at a good price...For me there is nothing I would buy in it's place...Knowing some of the soft synths you like..you will love the G70..It's still one of the best keyboards you can find..not just in the arranger class..but can stand up to anything..

At 60% of the S910 keyboard cost..it is twice the value....

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 11-01-2010).]

#298468 - 11/01/10 07:48 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
If you can deal with it's rather heavy weight (unless it's a home setup), it is an excellent buy, although some of the technology and sounds are a bit dated compared to an S910.

A very well made instrument for sure.

Ian

#298469 - 11/01/10 08:23 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
If you can deal with it's rather heavy weight (unless it's a home setup), it is an excellent buy, although some of the technology and sounds are a bit dated compared to an S910.

A very well made instrument for sure.

Ian

The G70 doesn't give up a single edge to the S910 with the exception of the MP3 player on the s910...none on the G70..SMF play, edits, sequencer, and the vast majority of sounds are better on the G70,,including drums...top that off with 76 keys for those that like to play piano and multi zones...and a great feel key bed...There is just no comparison...Buy the one that will be durable and outplays the other in every area..

Don't listen to Ian..

Compare what I just mentioned side by side...

#298470 - 11/01/10 08:40 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
ianmcnll Offline

I think the OP should listen to Ian, and any others offering advice honest advice.

The best way to know the bitter truth about an instrument, is to listen to the competition's views (Korg and/or Yamaha), which will be much more realistic than coming from a total Roland fanboy.

The S910 has Audio to USB recording, incredible sounds (SA/SA2/Mega voices) and excellent and more modern styles.

This is not to get into a p*ssing contest...this is to evaluate an instrument from all sides.

Only fair.

The G-70 is a nice well made instrument, and if the outdated bits (it has a floppy disk drive) don't bother you...go for it.

The price is sure right.

Ian

#298471 - 11/01/10 09:00 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Fran Carango Offline

The G70 also has media cards besides the floppy (I still am glad I have the floppy, I even purchase USB floppy drives for my PC's)..and USB data transfer too..

I am always able and willing to side by side anyone that wants to do so..Tyros or Gem ..doesn't matter..

#298472 - 11/01/10 09:06 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Fran Carango Offline

Don't get caught up with the style concept..a style is a style and are readily easy to find and adapt..I have all the Yamaha styles ..I choose to use none..There are many great styles ..I actually like a dozen PA2X styles converted to the G70..

#298473 - 11/01/10 09:07 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
......(it has a floppy disk drive) don't bother you...go for it....

Ian

Well,
it also read Compact Flash Cards, and have USB connection so you can transfer stright form PC.
Also the styles are more "lively" than Yamaha i.m.o, specially after MidiSpot did some tweaks
and remixing. Be sure to run OS 3.

Cheers
GJ

Btw,
CF cards need adapter type 1 to fit to the connector at G-70
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#298474 - 11/01/10 09:12 AM Re: G-70 Questions, please submit opinions
ianmcnll Offline

Fran, the guy wasn't looking for a comparison with the S910 (other than price)...it was you who started the comparison, Roland zealot that you are.

Man, you are so insecure....afraid someone might not agree with your fanboy assessments?

Personally, I'd be leery of an older instrument like the G-70 (parts and support), but at the same time, the price is very good...he can get great help from Diki (OS updates, styles etc) at the Roland Arranger forum.

Again, if the OP doesn't mind the excess weight, or the several uses of out-dated technology, he would have a fine keyboard in the G-70.

I had one here for two weeks and really got to know it quite well.

Of all the arranger keyboards I played, the G-70 was certainly one of them.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-01-2010).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online