Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#298327 - 11/01/10 12:53 AM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
come on guys stop messing up the thread and start a new one.

I actually posted a response back to Chony and I will re list it here in case it has been missed:

Great review Chony,
I do agree where you state that the T4 is an UPDATE not an UPGRADE.
It does depend on the users requirements though. If you are huge into sampling than the flash memory is a MUST and this would make this a huge world of difference over the previous Tyros models.
Yamaha decided to create 3 new drum kits in their Arranger workstations. YES this is great and long time needed but they should have done this to more drum kit categories…
The spec list shows over 30 drum kits now on the Tyros. To be honest they could do without half of them because just one of these new kits makes some of the older ones completely obsolete in my opinion.

I still can’t believe Yamaha has not created a new acoustic guitar sample since the SA concert guitar on the Tyros 2. Yes it’s a fantastic guitar voice (my favourite across every keyboard on the market) but you need variations!!!

The ‘new’ piano on the Tyros 4 does seem to be ‘hyped up’… the standard Grand Piano on the Motif XS was still better in my opinion and the key off sampling on the Motif line is much more visible to the ears. This Motif XS introduction video should explain it a bit better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGS_O0LRnCA

On the Arranger workstation line (Tyros), Yamaha do seem to use a lot of marketing fluff… i think the whole super articulation / mega voice stuff is all hype.
A Megavoice is just a voice or patch that has multiple velocity switching samples and different samples throughout the octave range.

Any of the voices on the Motif XS/XF can be tinkered to become a ‘megavoice’. None of the Motif voices are actually named Super Articulation voices because they mostly all have the same characteristics and can be controlled in a very similar way.

The Motif XF has the new “Section Strings” voices as well as the big Orchestral Tremolo voice. All these samples (I think) are the ones that make up the new REAL string voices on the Tyros. It’s sort of been kept quiet and un noticed on the Motif XF but the Tyros gets all the hype and attention!

Still I don’t understand why certain people claim that Yamaha are ‘milking’ the market though… If you don’t like it DON’T BUY IT!

Nick

#298328 - 11/01/10 04:43 AM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I am sick of this pissing contest bullshit. Take this crap to the BAR and discuss "my keyboard is better than yours" there.

No one really gives a crap anymore. I wish Nigel would nip this in the bud once and for all.

Every time someone posts a review/opinion about a keyboard, all the fanboys jump out of the woodwork and counter point it with their own keyboard. I can understand a fertile constructive conversation, but a blatant pissing contest that denigrates to personal attacks?

If you LOVE your own keyboard; that's great, I congratulate you. I think it's wonderful you've found something you love. Just realize you cannot convince anyone else to adopt YOUR opinion. IT IS USELESS TO EVEN TRY!

Give it a freakin' rest already, it is BORING and obnoxious!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#298329 - 11/01/10 07:35 AM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Hooray kbrkr!!!

#298330 - 11/01/10 07:43 AM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
Hooray kbrkr!!!

Hooray kbrkr and JCkeeys!!!

Ian

#298331 - 11/01/10 07:48 AM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I am sick of this pissing contest bullshit. Take this crap to the BAR and discuss "my keyboard is better than yours" there.No one really gives a crap anymore. I wish Nigel would nip this in the bud once and for all.
Every time someone posts a review/opinion about a keyboard, all the fanboys jump out of the woodwork and counter point it with their own keyboard. I can understand a fertile constructive conversation, but a blatant pissing contest that denigrates to personal attacks?

If you LOVE your own keyboard; that's great, I congratulate you. I think it's wonderful you've found something you love. Just realize you cannot convince anyone else to adopt YOUR opinion. IT IS USELESS TO EVEN TRY!

Al, BRAVO!!

#298332 - 11/01/10 07:52 AM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I'm glad to see confirmation of the Tyros4 problems...Now maybe since some Yamaha owners have confirmed this instead of saying Chony was in error or had a faulty keyboard...Yamaha can now fix the problem..I find it great when a problem is forth coming and not buried with a closed mind....I would imagine it will be a software problem...but I also feel maybe since Yamaha has an optional ram upgrade..the basic Tyros4 may have a limited internal ram...possibly causing the problems mentioned..
Has anyone with the glitch..installed the extended Ram option?

#298333 - 11/01/10 09:26 AM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I'm glad to see confirmation of the Tyros4 problems...

Everyone is Fran...I've been assured a fix is forthcoming.

Roland went through a bad time with the G-70's early OS, and they looked after it fairly quickly.

These companies really care for their clients.

Ian

#298334 - 11/01/10 01:52 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I just got an e-mail that T4's are in stock at Sweetwater Sound. They are pulling one from stock for the retail showroom. I may have some time this week to go there to try it out.

They said another shipment is set for next week,,,so they are coming out of Yamaha pretty good right now.

Coming from my last Yamaha being a T2, I should be pretty impressed? We'll see.
I'm doing as I always do downloading the manuals...I will read them cover to cover before I go. I will also print it out and take it with me so I do not have to ask to open the one that came with it (only fair).

Anyone else in the area..be informed Sweeetwater has one available to play! It will not have the Tyros speakers on it..but, they have many speakers to use there. (Bring your own headphones)

However, if you are serious about getting it from them and you want to hear the Tyros speakers I'm sure they would pull them from stock for you to try out. When I was deciding o a MIDI cotroller KB, they pulled 4 from stock for me to try, bought the CME.

Remember there is no commitment, so you can alway still get it from Frank or George!

Lee S.

#298335 - 11/01/10 06:34 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I am sick of this pissing contest bullshit. Take this crap to the BAR and discuss "my keyboard is better than yours" there.

No one really gives a crap anymore. I wish Nigel would nip this in the bud once and for all.

Give it a freakin' rest already, it is BORING and obnoxious!

+1

------------------
TTG

#298336 - 11/02/10 07:11 AM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
That's both a great detailed review and just plain sad!

Here's hoping Steve or someone at da big Y can help you get to the bottom of these things. It may be the OS and then again it may be something else. As I recall didn't the T1 and T3 have some of these roll out problems.

I have also wondered how Y does its beta testing. It seems like many times its the simple stuff that we see that they don't for whatever reason; lack of knowledge or lack of giging experience, cultural differences, etc.

In looking at the specs I was surprized that the T4 did not offer more over the T3. Also with the economy these days its time some of these OEMs woke up and realized their price points are way to high... that or just let the product sit on the F ing shelf until they have to discount it. When one looks at something like the Motif for LESS money...

All that said... Yamaha IS a great company and in the 25 years of on the road work using their products they have _ALWAYS_ taken care of me. IF what you say is accurrate >with repeatable steps that lead to the problem< I think that Y will come out with a OS software update in short order. Make sure you send them this report.

Great JOB and please keep us informed of what happens next.... there is strength in numbers and sharing of info!

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online