Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#298307 - 10/31/10 06:47 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
I have edited my original post on the first page and taken out the link to the YT video.

Here is my edited post to save going back a page:

VIDEO LINK REMOVED. After further research into the issue Brought up - I withdraw my comments about losing credibility for IrishActs and apologise formally to him and CHONY for sending this thread to another place.
Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick G (edited 10-31-2010).]

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

Just a general comment.

Yes, I'm a KORG Fan boy. I own KORG Forums and so yes I'm going to be very pro KORG, but please understand I'm not Anti everything else, and I don't let KORG off the hook either.

I harp on about issues like Yamaha's AWM 2 being 17 years old because it is that old and Yamaha couldn’t be bothered developing something new. I'm also not the only one, and you only need to go to the Motif forums to see people are very unhappy about that fact and that they have released another Motif.

That doesn't mean things are perfect in KORG land either even though they have release many new sound engines. The OASYS project has not turned out to be what I and many others had hoped for example and you can see that on the forums loud and clear too.

That siad, it's my right and yours as a end user to always demand more and to moan like hell about everything you get The more you do, the harder they will work.

It's a fact....! Trust me.

#298308 - 10/31/10 07:02 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Irishacts:
Nick G.

Now name 1 and only 1 new sound engine Yamaha have introduced in the last 17 years since AWM 2.

The answer is none, not even 1.

I've no problem with that, but a few new sounds and styles is not a reson to release a new keybaord.

James,

Firstly - in case you missed it - I have removed the YT Link and formally apologised to you.
Ide rather put that to rest and I am sure you would as well...

As for the Keyboard / arranger topic -

AWM for your information is on the PSR and Tyros line...
AWM 2 is the engine used on the synth line.
I actually went through this topic a while back with FranSN (and got no where but hey ill try it again)

You can pull as many facts and timeliness out about Korg and Yamaha all you want. But Korg have a TOTL Synth (M3) and what is its direct competitor? YAMAHA MOTIF

Korg have a TOTL Arranger.. what is its competitor? Yamaha Tyros.

Both instruments in each class have their equal amount of pros and cons. Not one of them is superior to another by fact. only by needs / use and personal preference.

So Yamaha have not changed their sound engine as many times as Korg. To me it makes absolutely no difference to us as users... why should it???

As long as they are updating features and samples. which they are... what's the problem here?
To me the fact that Yamaha can keep the same technology and AWM/AWM2 engine but keep on bringing out new sounds is a great innovation by itself. why make a new engine if you Don't have to??

I just don't see your point in this argument?

This argument is almost as pointless as Linux vx Windows (for example)...

now please. back onto Chony's topic...

Nick

#298309 - 10/31/10 07:04 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
I harp on about issues like Yamaha's AWM 2 being 17 years old because it is that old and Yamaha couldn’t be bothered developing something new.

Why should you harp about Yamaha's AWM?

Every time you do, it's always in the context of trying to score points for Korg.

Are you that insecure about Korg you need to bash a product that, despite it's so called "17 year old" technology, sounds every bit (or better than, some would say) as good as any Korg arranger?

Really James, you take fanboy-ism to new heights.

Bravo.

Ian

#298310 - 10/31/10 07:10 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Nick,
Your a gentleman..
Thanks,
Lee S.

#298311 - 10/31/10 07:18 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Korg have a TOTL Arranger.. what is its competitor? Yamaha Tyros.

Both instruments in each class have their equal amount of pros and cons. Not one of them is superior to another by fact. only by needs / use and personal preference.

So Yamaha have not changed their sound engine as many times as Korg. To me it makes absolutely no difference to us as users... why should it???

As long as they are updating features and samples. which they are... what's the problem here?
To me the fact that Yamaha can keep the same technology and AWM/AWM2 engine but keep on bringing out new sounds is a great innovation by itself. why make a new engine if you Don't have to??

I just don't see your point in this argument?

Nick,
James has been on this Yamaha bashing trip for sometime (he is a little classier than FransN ) and it is obvious he is coming from a Korgian fanboy position.

I know many people who say both Korg and Yamaha are basically equal in sound quality (although Korg keeps searching to find something better) and these opinions come from people who own both.

Yamaha's AWM is not the AWM of old, despite have the same acronym...the samples have been steadily improved and updated over the years, to where AWM is every bit the equal(again, some would say better) of anything else on the market.

Yamaha's Clavinova Pianos use AWM...they are among the finest digitals produced.

James "point" is no more than just taking a shot at Yamaha, and using the same old BS he used before.

Re-cycled, Korgian fanboy-ism at it's finest.

Ian

Now, let's get back on topic. My apologies to Chony.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-31-2010).]

#298312 - 10/31/10 07:21 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Why should you harp about Yamaha's AWM?
Every time you do, it's always in the context of trying to score points for Korg.

Forget KORG, it's not a contest by where I'm trying to urinate higher than you are on the wall in the playground at school.

AWM2 is 17 years old and in all fairness, you got to admit that regardless of how good you think it sounds, after so many years they got to be able to do a lot better.

I don't think that's at all unreasonable.

Quote:
Are you that insecure about Korg you need to bash a product that, despite it's so called "17 year old" technology, sounds every bit (or better than, some would say) as good as any Korg arranger?

lol... no not at all. You know as well as I do that KORG keyboards have far deeper sound engines for creating all manner of synth sounds shaped in ways no Yamaha Arranger can do.

Do you deny that ?

Quote:
Really James, you take fanboy-ism to new heights.

We are both just as guilty. Got to keep them all on their toes Ian, KORG and Yamaha.

Regards
James.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 10-31-2010).]

#298313 - 10/31/10 07:24 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Nick G Online   content

Hi James, I am just not sure whether you are getting AWM and AWM 2 mixed up...

AWM on tyros line - YES I agree should be a lot better and un compressed!

AWM 2 on Motif line - (complete different ball game)I am VERY happy with this sound quality. you must admit the Motif XS/XF sounds amazing...

#298314 - 10/31/10 07:25 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Nick G Online   content

double post

#298315 - 10/31/10 07:30 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
AWM2 is 17 years old and in all fairness, you got to admit that regardless of how good you think it sounds, after so many years they got to be able to do a lot better.
We are both just as guilty. Got to keep them all on their toes Ian, KORG and Yamaha.

Regards
James.

Yes, I agree...we are both fanboys...I never consider it an insult anymore, but rather, a compliment, or acknowledgement.

The AWM/AWM2 acronym is 17 years old James, but the samples are not.

When something works remarkably well, there is no need to change it for change sake, or because one or two Korgians think it's too old.

That last part is priceless, and basically about the flimsiest excuse for change that I've ever heard.

A newer tone generator sound engine will not guarantee that the sound it produces is better than an older sound engine...perceived sound, is, and always will be, subjective and personal

Yamaha's AWM sound is a classic and a widely accepted and very well appreciated sound...this is not my opinion, but fact.

Coca-Cola hasn't changed it's recipe, and in fact when they came out with the "new coke'...it didn't sell well.

Korg introduced their new(er) technology to catch up to Yamaha and Roland...nothing wrong there, but to some it doesn't have the warmth of the older Korg AL2 system, so it's obvious that new is not always better.

The underlying point of this roundabout discussion is that we all choose what sounds best to our ears, and new or old.

AWM and AWM2 will hopefully be around for many years to come.

The fact that Yamaha also has the incredibly expressive SA1, SA2, and Mega Voices is just icing on an otherwise very tasty cake.

No need to change a very successful basic recipe...no need to at all.

Ian

#298316 - 10/31/10 07:32 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
According to the specifications of the psr S910 and the Tyros 4 they have AWM 2.
But I agree that the Motif sound a lot better then the Tyros.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online