Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#298287 - 10/31/10 04:36 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Nope you are wrong as usual...I will check out the new Korg, just like I check out all keyboards...

The difference with my opinion..I know what I am talking about..
Now go eat your left overs..

Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps not...you have always stated on this forum that you wished for an updated G-70...who's gonna make it? Korg?

Knowing what you are talking about, and being right, are two different things in your case.

Check back on your old posts...

I'll send you a doggy bag (or a Dino bag)...Ha Ha.

It's too bad you didn't like the Tyros models...I actually liked the G-70 (and E-80) quite a bit, but not enough to buy one...the styles were too much like the old E-series, and now, the technology is dated.

But, if you're happy, that's the main thing.

Ian

#298288 - 10/31/10 04:38 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Nick, I think it is out of place to even mention an unfounded accusation..I haven't heard or read a word about Yamaha bringing any suits against James...I wonder why..maybe because it is nonsense..who knows..and we should not spread any accusations..unfounded accusations ..especially with our fellow SZ members...

Totally Agree

#298289 - 10/31/10 04:42 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
FransN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

It's too bad you didn't like the Tyros models...I actually liked the G-70 (and E-80) quite a bit, but not enough to buy one...the styles were too much like the old E-series, and now, the technology is dated.

But, if you're happy, that's the main

Technology dated? What about Yamaha. They still use the same sound engine (AWM2) of ages ago.

#298290 - 10/31/10 04:48 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#298291 - 10/31/10 04:51 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:
Technology dated? What about Yamaha. They still use the same sound engine (AWM2) of ages ago.

You weren't aware of Mega Voices, SA and SA2 Voices...Guitar enhanced style engine...mmmm

Oh that's right, you're a Korgian fanboy.

Let's review:

"Korg's relationship with Yamaha had flourished since Keio Electronic had built rhythm units for Yamaha organs in the 1960s, and it appears that Yamaha had owned a small stake in Keio/Korg for many years.

However, in 1987, the relationship took another huge step forward when Yamaha bought a controlling interest in Korg Inc, effectively making it a subsidiary. Apparently, the arrangement was entirely amicable, with the exact details drawn up by Katoh himself. One of the aspects of the agreement was that both companies remained separate entities, free to develop independently, and to compete head-on in the marketplace."

Of course, Korg got back on it's feet again, lucky for you Korgians.

Yamaha doesn't sound like a greedy company to me...you are probably playing technology that began on a Yamaha.

Cool, eh?

Ian

#298292 - 10/31/10 04:56 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
How could that be I thought you said 'One of the aspects of the agreement was that both companies remained separate entities, free to develop independently, and to compete head-on in the marketplace."

Lee S.

#298293 - 10/31/10 04:56 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Great review Chony,
I do agree where you state that the T4 is an UPDATE not an UPGRADE.
It does depend on the users requirements though. If you are huge into sampling than the flash memory is a MUST and this would make this a huge world of difference over the previous Tyros models.

Yamaha decided to create 3 new drum kits in their Arranger workstations. YES this is great and long time needed but they should have done this to more drum kit categories…
The spec list shows over 30 drum kits now on the Tyros. To be honest they could do without half of them because just one of these new kits makes some of the older ones completely obsolete in my opinion.

I still can’t believe Yamaha has not created a new acoustic guitar sample since the SA concert guitar on the Tyros 2. Yes it’s a fantastic guitar voice (my favourite across every keyboard on the market) but you need variations!!!

The ‘new’ piano on the Tyros 4 does seem to be ‘hyped up’… the standard Grand Piano on the Motif XS was still better in my opinion and the key off sampling on the Motif line is much more visible to the ears. This Motif XS introduction video should explain it a bit better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGS_O0LRnCA

On the Arranger workstation line (Tyros), Yamaha do seem to use a lot of marketing fluff… i think the whole super articulation / mega voice stuff is all hype.
A Megavoice is just a voice or patch that has multiple velocity switching samples and different samples throughout the octave range.

Any of the voices on the Motif XS/XF can be tinkered to become a ‘megavoice’. None of the Motif voices are actually named Super Articulation voices because they mostly all have the same characteristics and can be controlled in a very similar way.

The Motif XF has the new “Section Strings” voices as well as the big Orchestral Tremolo voice. All these samples (I think) are the ones that make up the new REAL string voices on the Tyros. It’s sort of been kept quiet and un noticed on the Motif XF but the Tyros gets all the hype and attention!

Still I don’t understand why certain people claim that Yamaha are ‘milking’ the market though… If you don’t like it DON’T BUY IT!

Nick

#298294 - 10/31/10 04:58 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
FransN Offline

Quote:
You weren't aware of Mega Voices, SA and SA2 Voices...Guitar enhanced style engine...mmmm

Oh that's right, you're a Korgian fanboy.

Let's review:

"Korg's relationship with Yamaha had flourished since Keio Electronic had built rhythm units for Yamaha organs in the 1960s, and it appears that Yamaha had owned a small stake in Keio/Korg for many years.

However, in 1987, the relationship took another huge step forward when Yamaha bought a controlling interest in Korg Inc, effectively making it a subsidiary. Apparently, the arrangement was entirely amicable, with the exact details drawn up by Katoh himself. One of the aspects of the agreement was that both companies remained separate entities, free to develop independently, and to compete head-on in the marketplace."

Of course, Korg got back on it's feet again, lucky for you Korgians.

Yamaha doesn't sound like a greedy company to me...you are probably playing technology that began on a Yamaha.

Cool, eh?

Ian

Don't forget I have played Yamaha for years. They still sound the same with the same boring styles. And Yamaha saved Korg Wow I am impressed.

#298295 - 10/31/10 05:00 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FransN:

Yamaha uses what works best...AWM/AWM2 is around for a long time and improved with each iteration of the instruments.

Roland and Korg do the same...nothing inherently wrong with that as long as you improve and add new things, like SA, SA2 and Mega-Voice in Yamaha's case, and DNC in Korg's.

Roland have nothing new for their arrangers (just listen to a Prelude/GW-8), and between that, and the poor marketing that lost them considerable ground, they can't compete in today's arranger market.

Ian

#298296 - 10/31/10 05:05 PM Re: YAMAHA TYROS 4 REVIEW
FransN Offline

Quote:

Roland have nothing new for their arrangers (just listen to a Prelude/GW-8), and between that, and the poor marketing that lost them considerable ground, they can't compete in today's arranger market.

Ian

I also disagree with that. I have had the roland GW8 and this machine sounded much better to me then for exampla a Yamama PSR S910. The Roland has much more power especially the synth leads and the drum sounds are awesome.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online