SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#298107 - 10/29/10 09:26 AM Re: The last one standing...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Bill,

From what I was led to believe, and some of your statement tends to lean in that direction, is that in 2012 health insurance paid by the employer, WILL be considered taxable income. Currently, it is NOT. But, this, like most taxes, is subject to change. Only time will tell. I won't hold my breath on any of this, and as I stated earlier, the small businesses will be slammed until they're out of business.

Gary

The reporting was the only thing put off until 2012. It was moved a year ahead to allow businesses more time to allow for the accurate reporting of the "value" of the health insurance. Its mostly there to provide consumers with a value of their health insurance (not always the same thing as the cost of the plan) and also a way for the Gov't. to see that businesses, where applicable, are in fact providing competitive health insurance plans to their employees.

What they "might do" someday is a far cry from what the original letter suggested.

Seriously though-don't take my word for it-Call the IRS yourself and have a conversation.

Telephone Assistance for Individuals:
Toll-Free, 1-800-829-1040
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Telephone Assistance for Businesses:
Toll-Free, 1-800-829-4933
Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 10-29-2010).]

#298108 - 10/29/10 11:44 AM Re: The last one standing...
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Whatever I think about our President, the fact that he is partially Black has nothing to do with it, and I am personally insulted to be accused of it. It is utter bullshit. I DID respect you Chas, but no longer.
DonM

Well Don, I'm not going to stop respecting you because you happen to disagree with me. But I would like to point out a couple of things. First nobody is "partially Black" in America. You either are or you aren't. Nobody is 'partially' discriminated against, nobody is 'partially' lynched. I never accused you specifically of anything, so I'm not sure why you chose to react so strongly. I think that it IS interesting, though, that although a majority of Americans elected him to office, the overwhelming majority of people on THIS BOARD see him as the anti-Christ.

I remember (very vividly) your friend Bill (Semi-live) expressing some misgivings about his feelings about this very topic (and this was NOT at 'The Bar'). He spoke eloquently (in my view) and openly about the societal attitudes he saw all around him and his own struggle not to fall victim to the same attitudes. It was the most refreshingly honest (and hopeful) thing I've ever read on Synthzone. I know he's a sensitive guy (most songwriters are) and so I hope what I've said here doesn't upset or embarrass him.

I'm sorry that my post caused you to so abruptly change your opinion of me. I assure you that I, myself, have not changed (maybe softened a bit in my old age and deteriorating health). I still champion most progressive causes (but don't hate the people who don't share my ideology).

I have always admired your humor, intellect, diplomatic approach to most discussions, and your musical talent. I really believe that in a different time and under different circumstances, we would have been friends.

chas

#298109 - 10/29/10 12:09 PM Re: The last one standing...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Guys ..I don't see any bad blood here...a few remarks may have giving the wrong impressions coupled with obstacles in our paths...health, loss of friends etc..it adds up and sometimes emotions come out that are not representation of who we are...and also are wrongly interpreted...

Don is the same great guy he was yesterday..far from being a racist..

Chas, he is the same "old" guy he was yesterday...and possibly has a feel for what he thinks is racist remarks..

BTW: I did not read either in the post..

In the end ..Don is the better performer..at least he can sing..

#298110 - 10/29/10 01:43 PM Re: The last one standing...
cgiles Offline

Thanks Fran. I think your reading of this is pretty accurate. Guess you aren't too bad for an old "700 level" guy (only Fran and Philly guys will know what this means ). ......and stop calling me "old". I prefer 'seasoned'.

chas

#298111 - 10/29/10 04:09 PM Re: The last one standing...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Maybe I over-reacted Chas. It just seemed like you were saying that any criticism of the President has to be because he is Black, which to me makes YOU the racist. Anyone who knows me will know that I am certainly not a racist.
I strongly disagree with many of the things our President has, or is trying to, put into effect. I also disagreed with a lot of thing that the previous President did. It certainly wasn't because of his color and neither is it now.
I apologize to you. You are a talented and well-spoken person. I would not have known, or cared, what color you were, but you have always been pretty quick to bring it up.
I agree to agree to disagree. I suggest we keep making music and leave the political topics to a more appropriate venue.
As for Bill, as he mentioned, he was raised in an environment where just about everyone was racist. He has grown way past all that. I came from a different State and upbringing where Native Americans (my heritage) were often discriminated against so I didn't have an adverse opinion of anybody, unless it was based on their behavior, not color of skin. Down here in Louisiana, the vast majority of violence is done by Black people, and the vast majority of the victims are also Black people. Shreveport has a Black Mayor, Cedric Glover, who is a personal friend of mine and he is probably the best thing that has happened to the city in generations.
My point is only that I disagree with the President and could care less what color he is. (I would like to see his birth certificate though.)
DonM

#298112 - 10/29/10 04:17 PM Re: The last one standing...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Sorry Gary...but indirectly all these posts are relavent to your post.
Taxes are a political subject.
Lee S.

#298113 - 10/29/10 04:39 PM Re: The last one standing...
cgiles Offline

No apology necessary, Don. Your response was probably no more 'knee-jerk' than my own. I still believe that there is a lot of truth in my post and so my antennae is probably unusually sensitive. Hey, Capt. Russ holds you in very high regard and since he seems to like me too, I have to assume that he is an excellent judge of character . Yep, let's get back to making music.

chas

#298114 - 10/29/10 05:15 PM Re: The last one standing...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Lee,

I had absolutely no intention to bring politics into the discussion. I deplore politicians, all politicians, despite the face that I have performed at dozens of fund raisers for them during the campaign seasons. The main reason behind the post was to try to examine the economics of this industry and determine which manufacturer will still be here five years from now. Everything seems to have gone south from that point. Now I wish I hadn't brought the subject up, and from the way all posts seem to be going lately, I think it's time to use my computer for doing what I bought if for originally--creating invoices, bookkeeping, doing my taxes and creating advertising media. Guess it's time to join the ranks of the lurkers.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#298115 - 10/29/10 07:49 PM Re: The last one standing...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#298116 - 10/30/10 06:52 AM Re: The last one standing...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Gary,
Yep...I think you are right...I wish they all went away and we could have business people run the government, accountable to US.
Lee S.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online