SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#298003 - 10/29/10 12:53 PM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Yamaha's DJX proved how popular arrangers could be for the young if styled and voiced right. Sadly, Yamaha dropped it like a hotcake. Obviously, the arranger division is completely incapable of relating to younger players (or anyone that doesn't want EXACTLY what they currently make, for that matter!), and so it all goes down in history along with all the other 'Whatever happened to...?' products.

Relating to younger players?

How many "younger" players can afford a Tyros4, or even a PSR-S910?

Not many.

The low end Casio's and PSR deal with that market...you best examine their tactics, and draw your own conclusions.

BTW, Roland made a similar product to the DJX, the DJ-70...more expensive, but it had a sampler... but, it was dropped after only two generations.

Why did they drop it?

Companies do things we'll never understand...and even if we do, it ain't going to matter.

Ian

#298004 - 10/29/10 01:13 PM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
How many "younger" players can afford a Tyros4, or even a PSR-S910?

Same number that can afford MotifXF's, M3's, FantomG's, Juno Stage's, Nord's, etc..

Really, Ian, perhaps you ought to try and read what you write before you go off all half-cocked every time you see the word 'Yamaha' without the word 'great' next to it... I know getting old is a bit of a drag, but really! Have you got to the point where 'younger' means pre-teen? 'Younger' means pre-forties, at least in regard to arranger sales!

And you bought your first 'expensive' keyboard in what, your teens, or your twenties? Why do you think the 'young' are any less likely to be able to afford a decent keyboard now? But try to talk a twentysomething into an arranger rather than a WS or stage keyboard... best of luck!

#298005 - 10/29/10 01:21 PM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Why do you think the 'young' are any less likely to be able to afford a decent keyboard now? But try to talk a twentysomething into an arranger rather than a WS or stage keyboard... best of luck!

It's the 40 somethings and up who buy...as the new 40 somethings arrive, the arrangers will cater to their needs.

Been that way way for quite some time...one time, Disco was the most modern beat, and you couldn't find a Country Rock style on anything.

Arrangers cater to music from our past.

Ian

#298006 - 10/30/10 04:43 AM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
I know getting old is a bit of a drag, but really! Have you got to the point where 'younger' means pre-teen? 'Younger' means pre-forties, at least in regard to arranger sales!

And you bought your first 'expensive' keyboard in what, your teens, or your twenties? Why do you think the 'young' are any less likely to be able to afford a decent keyboard now? !

Diki, I really don't get your point here.

It sounds as if you're afraid of getting old, while most of us, in our 60's seem to have a much more positive attitude than you'll ever acquire.

I was orphaned twice, and grew up with a work ethic that many kids today don't need to have...and, I was lucky to have support, for which I am very grateful.

Being able to get a Polymoog, when I was still in my early 20's was a great benefit, and got me lots of experience and work.

Now, back more to the buyer...the age of arranger buyers starts at 40...no kid is going to buy a Tyros or S910, or G-70...too much money.

Besides, it's too un-cool.

We, (arranger players), for the most part, play for ourselves and our age group...not people in their 20's or even 30's...I'm sure there are exceptions, but what I've said is the norm, and I say this from many years of experience in the field...experience you obviously lack.

Rock beats are excellent on the Tyros3 and S910, and there's plenty of them...but, notice the age group it mainly caters to, including what's on your G-70.

Only recently are we getting more modern dance beats, as the new 40-somethings get interested in an arranger...and usually, after they've attended a clinic or demo in the local store, and can see what fun they can have with one...it's a home entertainment/hobby for most who buy...players using them to make money are a very small percentage, but they do exist. And, like the other buyers, they tend to be over 40, and play to their own age group (or older).

People buy arrangers to "be back in a band again"...to make real, a long wished fantasy, to relive some of the stuff they missed because of work, families, and other responsibilities.

They aren't "pro" instruments first...they are "home" instruments first...for home recording, or just for home entertainment...some players are just smart enough to realize they are also a great little gigging tool.

Gary Diamond says, "gettin' old ain't for sissies."

I understand that more today than I ever did, but, I also enjoy my music far more than I ever did...arrangers allow me to indulge in fun, fantasy, and yes, even gigging, better than any other type keyboard.

Ian

#298007 - 10/30/10 06:15 AM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Actually I enjoy music from my parents era now ...more than ever..
I want to learn to play a lot of them!

As far as todays music goes..I do like some of it too...BUT, in most cases the keyboard player may as well stay home, The loud guitars (usually full of distortion) overpower everything but the drums. Most of the singers can't even be heard very well, which in some cases is a good thing.

Lee S.

#298008 - 10/30/10 06:34 AM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Actually I enjoy music from my parents era now ...more than ever..
I want to learn to play a lot of them!

As far as todays music goes..I do like some of it too...BUT, in most cases the keyboard player may as well stay home, The loud guitars (usually full of distortion) overpower everything but the drums. Most of the singers can't even be heard very well, which in some cases is a good thing.

Lee S.

"NEW" Music......when did that start?

#298009 - 10/30/10 06:59 AM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Early 90's
Lee S.

#298010 - 10/31/10 07:18 AM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ian, you really got to try reading a post before you reply to it!

If you, as a twentysomething, could afford a Polymoog, why can't a modern twentysomething afford a MoXF? The Polymoog was probably a LOT more money that a Motif or Fantom, etc..

The reason post-forty year olds buy arrangers is nothing to do with they can afford them. It's because they are the only ones that can stand the bloody awful styles in them...! Bloody awful, that is, by the standards of anyone younger than forty. I know getting old is cool, and all that, but an instrument manufacturer has to keep an eye on the future. Look what happened to home organs. Gone the way of the dodo. Not because arrangers came out and supplanted them. Because younger players moved on to synths, then WS's. They certainly didn't move en masse to arrangers!

As arranger players get older, and older and older, and no sizable pool of new players fills in for the attrition, who is going to keep the type alive? Only making arrangers that cater to the twentysomethings (like the Polymoog catered to them back in YOUR day) will get them to play them.

But they CERTAINLY have the money for them. They are buying MoXf's and Nord's like hotcakes. But they AIN'T buying arrangers... Today's music needs an amalgam of arranger and loopstation features. Only the MS is attempting to combine the two at the moment (and failing epically), but until a major picks up on this, all that is left is that long dark tunnel...

How Yamaha could fail to capitalize on the amazing success of the DJX beats me, and, if you care to look for it, provides yet one MORE example of Yamaha's fallibility. Let's face it, that was the right product at the right price, hit the market squarely on the nose, and Yamaha dropped it like a ton of bricks. The DJXmkII was TERRIBLE compared to the first. And so Yamaha quit making them.

Sounds kinda familiar, actually, doesn't it..?

#298011 - 10/31/10 08:23 AM Re: One is Quirky, One is Pregnant, One is Cheesy....and Roland?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
How Yamaha could fail to capitalize on the amazing success of the DJX beats me, and, if you care to look for it, provides yet one MORE example of Yamaha's fallibility.

Diki, no one is saying Yamaha is infallible...but, they are still in business.

Companies do things for reasons you and I will never understand.

Arrangers are made the way they are to make the most profit...that's a given.

You may not agree with it, but, that's your problem, not the company's.

You being frustrated with Yamaha's strategy, is just about as useful as you being disappointed with Roland's marketing.

You can't do anything about either.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online