SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#297269 - 10/25/10 09:10 AM Re: ot/....funny change of pace........instead of wishing for a 76...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Ian,
What did you think of the Piano sounds and the drums too? I thought the drums were nice, relistic but not too much in your face?

Rob and James put together the 4 layer pianos. I was one of the beta testers. When I was in Corfu Greece with Rob last year we tweeked some of the DSP. I did very little, on the project. The entire piano set (includes some nice E pianos too) was $50. Takes about 160 MB of sample RAM.
I use it a lot...makes me want to play piano better.

Lee S.

#297270 - 10/25/10 09:19 AM Re: ot/....funny change of pace........instead of wishing for a 76...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Ian,
What did you think of the Piano sounds and the drums too? I thought the drums were nice, relistic but not too much in your face?

Lee S.

The piano was very nice...a very "broad" sound and not too peaky...sounds much like a mellow Yamaha or a Steinway.

The drums were great...actually I like them better than what I hear from the Audya, which has such dominant harsh drums, it actually starts to sound artificial, as if everything is mixed around the drums.

A good piano sound is essential...I have several on my S910 that I like...tweaked a little to round out the tone (softer for jazz, brighter for pop/rock etc).

The one you posted is one of the best I have heard.

Ian

#297271 - 10/25/10 01:24 PM Re: ot/....funny change of pace........instead of wishing for a 76...
leeboy Offline

Ian,
Thanks for the opinion. We could ask James as he is the one that provided the sampling.
I could be wrong..but I think it is a Yamaha. I love the sound. I have often wanderd how a 88 note qualty hammer acton controller MIDI'ed in would make me feel playing it.

I like it for the same reason...nce & mellow, and very realistic.

The other night I watched a show on PBS titled 'note by note'. It was a 1 hour story of how Steinway, today still builds a quality piano. They build about 100/year. Each one takes about a year to go through the process. The netest part is where hight ed musicians come in to hand select their pianos! They play a room full of them, then select the one that 'speaks' to them.

Very neat to see what all is involved.

Lee S.

#297272 - 10/25/10 02:57 PM Re: ot/....funny change of pace........instead of wishing for a 76...
124 Offline

Lee, you should get hold of a book called "Piano, The Making of a Steinway Concert Grand" by James Barron. It follows the story of a concert grand from the woodyard to the concert hall through all the stages of manufacture. Beautifully written and totally absorbing, I couldn't put the book down. Interesting little anecdotes all the way through.

#297273 - 10/25/10 02:59 PM Re: ot/....funny change of pace........instead of wishing for a 76...
124 Offline

Oops, double post.

[This message has been edited by 124 (edited 10-25-2010).]

#297274 - 10/25/10 04:03 PM Re: ot/....funny change of pace........instead of wishing for a 76...
leeboy Offline

I will see if I can find it...sounds like a good read.
Since I have spent lots of time in the manufacturing industry...I bet I will enjoy it.

Thanks,
Lee S.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online