SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#297054 - 10/19/10 05:54 PM Re: How much do sounds and styles really matter?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:

Styles are probably among the things that most first time buyers and even some pros consider.

I know this because I did work in the retail Music for over 20 years, and if the arranger do not have the patterns/rhythms that appeal to the customer, he/she will buy only the arranger that provides those styles, that is to suit their "needs" and "wants" for the consumer.

Very good point, mdorantes...when I worked in retail, I experienced the very same.

And, when someone wanted to move up to a new instrument, they wanted it to have the same styles that were important to them on the older one.

Nowadays, as you say, it is not so much of an issue, and you can download and save the styles, and then load them in the new instrument.

Ian

#297055 - 10/19/10 06:22 PM Re: How much do sounds and styles really matter?
zuki Offline

Quote:

Styles are probably among the things that most first time buyers and even some pros consider.

Then please explain why Yamaha is the leader?

Just kiddin' Ian

I agree with your thoughts MD....

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#297056 - 10/19/10 11:07 PM Re: How much do sounds and styles really matter?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
If it sounds the way you like it, it is not heavy and it does what you want, what does it matter if it has 76 keys? What does it matter that the keyboard is green?

If it does what I want, it allows me to play a fairly full piano part (or Rhodes, etc.). So there's WHY the need for 76. After that come the basic sounds... who wants to play a wanky piano sound even if it HAS got 76 keys? After that comes the styles... Are they too busy? Too song-specific? Lacking in genres I play?

After all that comes the weight (if I can lug around a forty pound speaker, I can manage a forty pound arranger ) and after that comes color... No, after that, I really don't give a toss what color it is!

#297057 - 10/20/10 03:08 AM Re: How much do sounds and styles really matter?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:

I know this because I did work in the retail Music for over 20 years, and if the arranger do not have the patterns/rhythms that appeal to the customer, he/she will buy only the arranger that provides those styles, that is to suit their "needs" and "wants" for the consumer.

Even in the arrangers "low" end, as an example, the ethnic group, like my Mexican customers that where looking to purchase an arranger ($100-200USD range), that if it does not have a "Cumbia" style, and as you know, the low end models on the Yamaha PSR line that does not have any, well, they purchase the Casios because they have it, and I heard that many times they may have said, "I like the sounds better on the Yamaha, but, does not have what I need/want".

In the medium to large arrangers, many customers are not aware of the loading user styles possibility, depending on the brand/models.

So, it is very important the styles issue too, unless the user plays only midi files, then, it does not matter.

Absolutely! Styles do matter.
But how much do they matter when put against other characteristics of the arranger?

If it has the styles that some one wants, if the arranger was purple does it change their decision to buy? If it has 49 keys does it change their decision to buy? If it weighs 40 LBS does it change their decision to buy?

------------------
TTG

#297058 - 10/20/10 05:08 AM Re: How much do sounds and styles really matter?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
For me personally, sound quality is paramount, as is operability, styles, so long as they can provide a nice simple backing that can be edited is all I need. (All singing all dancing styles (Particularly song specific) usually bore me to tears after a couple of listens (There just too repetitive for me)

Additionally (Not related to the post however) is longevity of a board, changing every 3 years or so is a no no, I just want to change the stuff that does the work, and not have to buy a new board to get it.

Bill

#297059 - 10/20/10 07:03 AM Re: How much do sounds and styles really matter?
Bachus Offline

76 keys is a hot topic because it influences my performance directly and so the general sound of my performance.. Many other things like sliders, knobs, buttons also directly influence my performance and should be taken account of together with Sounds, styles, Mediaplayer options, sound edditing possibilities, sample loading memmory... and many more So its not just sound and styles that matter.

Color and looks is offtopic, tough i really like the black look of the new Motif XF above the dull grey of the Motif XS it should not be of any concern when buying a new instrument.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online