SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#296913 - 10/15/10 06:19 PM OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
Dnj Offline

#296914 - 10/15/10 07:25 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Here's a picture I found of my old '49 Caddy...it had hydraulic powered windows and seat, instead of the electric motors now used...also the first hardtop (no pillar).

It was essentially a convertible with a roof added, all done at the factory.

It had no PARK position...just N Dr Lo R..you shifted into "R" reverse, and when the engine was shut off, it locked the rear wheels, and it had 4-speeds when everything else back then had but two or maybe, three.

I bought a '49, because that's the year I was born.

Sold it a few years ago.

#296915 - 10/15/10 07:29 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I would rather have a new airplane, Maybe a Cessna 182 Skylane with a full IFR panel.
http://www.cessna.com/single-engine/skylane.html

Lee S.

#296916 - 10/15/10 07:37 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Here's a picture I found of my old '49 Caddy...it had hydraulic powered windows and seat, instead of the electric motors now used...also the first hardtop (no pillar).

It was essentially a convertible with a roof added, all done at the factory.

It had no PARK position...just N Dr Lo R..you shifted into "R" reverse, and when the engine was shut off, it locked the rear wheels, and it had 4-speeds when everything else back then had but two or maybe, three.

I bought a '49, because that's the year I was born.

Sold it a few years ago.

Real nice Ian.love to see that baby restored...........man some of those cars bring back so many memories..this guys collection is AWESOME OMG!

#296917 - 10/15/10 07:51 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Real nice Ian.love to see that baby restored...........man some of those cars bring back so many memories..this guys collection is AWESOME OMG!

The Caddy had not been restored, and was in original condition when I bought it, except for the tires, and a few minor parts.

Everything worked, including the old radio that had to warm up.

They are only "original" once...and worth more.

It wasn't easy on gas, but back then, fuel was cheap.

I'm considering getting another one, but a convertible this time.

That guy in the video has such a very cool collection, especially the Chrysler 300 convertibles...they are rare, and command a high price.

Just a sea of chrome...a car nut's dream.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-15-2010).]

#296918 - 10/16/10 12:05 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Really cool place and cars. My son recently sold our 64 Chevy show car (actually a cut down Buick station wagon..leaded doors, air bag suspension, etc.) and I sold my Cessna 180 to a really persistent buyer. I'm playing with old motorcycles and scooters...a 56 three-wheeler I've had since 1962 and three old restored Cushmans.

This makes me want another show car.

Thanks for the memories...pretty bad when you remember when all of these cars were CURRENT MODELS!

Russ

#296919 - 10/16/10 01:32 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I rather buy a nice "oldie" like your Caddy then any "new" car.....I am ready to check out the old "muscle" cars again..I wish I was smart enough to put them in storage for my current rainy day....I had them all..a missed chance to enjoy them now...

#296920 - 10/16/10 07:44 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Me too Fran....but...you won't like the current prices!
I had a 1966 GTO with 3 dueces.
A Buick GS-400.
and a Plymouth Satellite with a 426 Hemi.
All with in about 3 years time.

If I had em alland sold them. I would be pretty well off.

Lee S.

#296921 - 10/16/10 08:43 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I rather buy a nice "oldie" like your Caddy then any "new" car.....I am ready to check out the old "muscle" cars again..I wish I was smart enough to put them in storage for my current rainy day....I had them all..a missed chance to enjoy them now...

The Caddy fetched a very decent price, as un-restored original cars are worth more to a collector.

Vehicles that have been modified or "resto-moded"(modern running gear) are worth more to the person who wants to drive his acquisition.

I believe the Caddy had about 35-40,000 miles on it when I sold it.

Muscle cars are hot commodities, especially Camaros and Mustangs, and Pontiac Trans-Ams with the 455 H.O. motor.

If we had of kept our old "drivers" we'd all have a healthy retirement fund...

Ian

#296922 - 10/16/10 08:57 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Ian,
I had that same car in 1951, bought it 2 years old. It was a great car and had a trunk big enough to haul all my instruments around which at that time consisted of one Roselli 120 bass accordion and an acoustic guitar
best to all,
Bebop

#296923 - 10/16/10 09:00 PM Re: OT/.........Too much bickering here take a break.....man wish I hit the Lottery
Dnj Offline

"If I had a Million Dollars"......[sigh]

my dad had a 1953 merc like this one........this is the same car Restored AWESOME!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online