SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#296303 - 10/11/10 09:08 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I had several owners tell me that they don't want to deal with BMI and ASCAP just to have some live bacground music a night or two a week. Another blow for live music...

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#296304 - 10/11/10 09:13 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jim, here, I use restaurant gigs to book private parties. I get $150.00 at most for a three hour job, but that gives me access to much better private jobs. I usually play the summer at one of the three top places, fill up my book by the end of May and leave about September.

For all my jobs, I do "smooth jazz", which, today, is a lot of re-processed 70's and 80's tunes (sort of what you heard at the little country place-but that was a little more retro, due to the nature of the event).

I started dong dining rooms in the mid-80's and still see a strong market for this kind of work for a few of us here. Of course, being a long-time part of the social scene here is probably more important than the talent factor. (Glad for that)!

Be well-I'll try to call you this week.

Russ

#296305 - 10/11/10 09:26 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Tony's description of a restaurant gig pretty much parallels my experience except that I don't play in an 'upscale' restaurant ... light and soft to start and a party-like atmosphere when the wine kicks in. This is the only eatery gig I currently have partly due to, I think, the heavy handed BMI tactics in my area. I've been at this particular restaurant 11 years, down to 1 night a week. The exposure and the resulting private bookings gotten from the restaurant gigs may be worth the less than stellar pay.
Ciao,
Jerry

Jerry ... "upscale = $$$ food prices" - but the food quality does match the cost ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-11-2010).]

#296306 - 10/11/10 01:52 PM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Jim- I have to ask you...

You work more than anyone I've ever heard of and people enjoy your work...

What's the attraction of gigs that pay less and last longer?

Curious...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#296307 - 10/11/10 03:28 PM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Jim, the other thing that works for me is early "house" jobs...usually starting at opening time...5:00 PM til whenever I have to leave for my first private job of the evening. Around here, there isn't a lot of work at 5:00 PM. The little country place you visited was owned by a fellow who also has a really old, established Oriental restaurant. I worked 5:00 to 7-8:00 and often ended up at the Oriental place for a private party in their banquet area.

These jobs are 2-3 hours and only pay $100.00, BUT...

* Equipment stays, so there's no load in-out.
I usually use my back-up unit. Right now, I'm using a Clavinova (no moving-YEA!).
* EXPOSURE...that's where I get my private parties.

I always get my meal, and I know these folks, so it's about like having dinner with family.

And, they don't get in the way of the supper clubs and one-nighter jobs later in the evening. Occasionally, I meet someone who needs film, print, research...the things we do in the daytime.

I grew up working for clubs and restaurants; starting at age 11, so this is where I'm most comfortable. And, I do "two job" evenings.

Be well,

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 10-11-2010).]

#296308 - 10/12/10 06:49 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I gotta get out of here!!! HA! In Central/North New Jersey where I am live music is getting nearly impossible to find. A guy with and arranger keyboard/singing, fugetaboutit! Considered a dinosaur. Friday my wife and I wanted to go out and hear some music. Called one place that used to have live stuff and guess what? KAREOKE, which is what most places have now. ..Found a good Spanish Restaurant with a video DJ-- it was actually entertaineing because he showed/played lots of classic Latin bands and I love that stuff. All thats going on around here is some bar bands playing dive bars for next to nothing or some rock clubs where four bands a night will share the doors cover charges. Almost all my jobs are DJ gigs and I sometimes get to bring my keyboard for the first hour or so. Only NH will accept a full show of keyboard and thats just for an hour.
Back to the question. The usual, Sinatra, light rock, well worn ballads. Oldies, etc.

Bill in NJ

#296309 - 10/12/10 09:11 AM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
The usual standards IE: Sinatra, well worn ballads. Oldies, light rock etc. But I know of no gigs around here with a keyboard player playing to a dance crowd. Backround music at best and little of that

Bill in NJ [/B][/QUOTE]

#296310 - 10/13/10 03:23 PM Re: Restaurant / Lounge acts
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Lewis:
The usual standards IE: Sinatra, well worn ballads. Oldies, light rock etc. But I know of no gigs around here with a keyboard player playing to a dance crowd. Backround music at best and little of that

Bill in NJ

[/B][/QUOTE]

Bill ...I hope my post didn't mislead you ... I wasn't playing to a 'dance crowd', but the place has a small dance floor and most of the time there were 2 to 5 couples dancing ... still better than playing with no one dancing ...
There are a couple of places I know of in RI where there is a duo and the people there are pretty much a dancing crowd, but they are 'older' - 50 to 70 years - ,and they are dancing to 'standards' ...
t. ...
t.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online