SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#295758 - 10/08/10 08:34 AM Using a vocal harmonizer in live performance...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Seems to be a good time on sharing some ideas on how to use a vocal harmonizer in live performance...

This is pretty subjective. I'm not sure there's just ONE WAY to use this type of effect. This is what works for me. I'd love to hear how other people approach it. There's a ton of really talented guys around here who use harmonizers and I hope they weigh in...

1) Equipment - Not all harmonizers are the same. I use two older model Digitech Vocalist VR's that are several years old. They have pretty straightforward options and features. Newer models blow these units away in terms of features. These do not have pitch correction or a "hold" feature like most new units offer.

2) Tracking - I've found a variance in how different harmonizers "track" or follow the midi data they receive from my keyboard. For example, I've found the TC Harmony M processed signals differently than do the Digitechs. Also part of the equation is how you use your keyboard. I use mine (A Tyros 2 or 1) in "full keyboard" mode. I do not split the keyboard. How you set your kb up will effect how a stand alone harmonizer reacts.

3) Voices - I tend to use two different presets or "additional voices." One is 3 harmony parts with 1 lower and 2 above my lead. It produces a nice full sound that I find appealing. The other is a single voice above mine, usually a third, which gives me a nice "Everly Brothers" type effect.

4) Settings - There are 3 main settings for live performance...

*Reverb level- I use a Bose mixer which has on-board effects so I don't use too much from the Digitech. This is obviously a taste thing.

*Harmony level- I run the harmony volume around 75% of what my lead vocal is, generally speaking.

*Lead level- I run my lead volume at 100%...

I do have a master gain adjustment that I usually have around 60%. It has a light display that lets me know if I'm too loud or overdriving the unit. During sound checks, I'll sing as loud as I'm going to during the performance and back it off from there. (For you folks with Bose PA's, its essentially gain-staging the unit.)

5)Performance - By far the most subjective area to discuss. Everyone has to decide for themselves what is the right amount or frequency to use a harmonizer during a song. Some songs don't seem to call for harmonies at all while others seem lacking if you don't use it. Again, this is really something the performer has to figure out for themselves.

My approach is to utilize it the way I would a group of back up singers as if they were on stage with me. Sometimes I'll bring "them" in on the chorus...sometimes I wait until the second time through the chorus to use them. I have a pretty big repertoire and can't think of any songs where I start the tune with full blown harmonies.

For some tunes like Everly Brothers stuff, I will begin with a single harmony voice. Usually I'll run that all the way to the end. Maybe twice a night...

Another technique I'll use once a night is to drop out all the instruments from my kb except for percussion and sing over that. Usually at the end of a tune, in the chorus...

Generally speaking, I probably use my harmonizer on about 60% - 70% of the stuff I play. I do a lot of Country, so it fits really well. If I was doing more hard core jazz standards, I wouldn't use it as much. That's just my preference, someone else might do just the reverse and not be wrong for doing so.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#295759 - 10/08/10 11:19 AM Re: Using a vocal harmonizer in live performance...
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Bill
Though I don't have anything to add, I found your use of the vocal harmonizer interesting.

I have only used mine on the G70 as a novelty. When, I do, the audience thinks it is amazing. Seeing that you use it quite often has led me to re examine the possibilities, althoughI think judicious use is in order.

Thanks for sharing.
Bernie

#295760 - 10/08/10 02:55 PM Re: Using a vocal harmonizer in live performance...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
Hi Bill
Though I don't have anything to add, I found your use of the vocal harmonizer interesting.

I have only used mine on the G70 as a novelty. When, I do, the audience thinks it is amazing. Seeing that you use it quite often has led me to re examine the possibilities, although I think judicious use is in order.

Thanks for sharing.
Bernie

Hey Bernie-

"Judicious use" is the key phrase. Like I said, I do a lot of older Country music and it fits nicely. When putting my sets together, I try to keep styles, speeds, etc with a good variety. Same goes for the harmonizer. If I play a 15 song set, maybe 6-9 or so might have it turned on somewhere in the song.

I just returned home from a retirement community job this afternoon, An hour gig, I played 17 songs and used it on 7...

What kind of music do you play?

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#295761 - 10/08/10 03:33 PM Re: Using a vocal harmonizer in live performance...
Bernie9 Online   content

I play to the older crowd and everything from older country,big band, standards,R&R, and 50's to the 80's.

My vocals are 50% country,25% Sinatra type, and 25% Elvis and R&R. I can see harmonizer use for a lot of it. I have my stomp pedal hooked up to go in and out of harmony.

I tried Abba numbers with Manhatten Transfer setting(ensemble)on my G70 and it sounds pretty good.

My Audya 76 came in this afternoon and can't wait to try it out.

#295762 - 10/08/10 05:18 PM Re: Using a vocal harmonizer in live performance...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
My Audya 76 came in this afternoon and can't wait to try it out.

Bernie Congrats... can't wait for your full review and some demo songs also on your new unit.....Good Luck!!

#295763 - 10/09/10 03:07 AM Re: Using a vocal harmonizer in live performance...
Bernie9 Online   content

Thanks Donny
I have only an hour on it, but it by far the best sounding keyboard I have ever heard. That doesn't really help anyone, but I would advise anyone buying a TOTL to check it out first.

I will give specifics later.

#295764 - 10/09/10 07:00 AM Re: Using a vocal harmonizer in live performance...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Thanks Donny
I have only an hour on it, but it by far the best sounding keyboard I have ever heard. That doesn't really help anyone, but I would advise anyone buying a TOTL to check it out first.

I will give specifics later.

So far so good Bernie....
I await your next post.

#295765 - 10/10/10 12:58 PM Re: Using a vocal harmonizer in live performance...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Bill,
I replied to this in a separate post, so that others may see it.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online