SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#295722 - 10/07/10 07:44 PM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
... because I don't have enough money

Hi Larry. I concur that with the state of the uncertain economy, this is a legitimate concern for many other of us pro musicians as well, but the biggest riding factor, at least for me, is the lengthy TIME that will be required to transfer, convert & tweak personal song repertoire registrations + MFD database (over 1,200 songs in my case) plus convert & tweak arr styles from our current keyboard setup to the new keyboard, as it took 3 weeks + to complete when I moved from Tyros1 to Tyros2. Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

#295723 - 10/07/10 07:58 PM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Hey Donny,

A quick question about your experience with the MidJay. I still have one and use it in the studio. I agree that most of the styles are incredible. However, I did find it lacking in the swing and big band styles. How did you deal with that on the job? I know you play for older crowds so you have to be up to snuff with those kinds of styles.

Joe

check your email Joe

#295724 - 10/08/10 12:39 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
arranger_yes_pc_no Offline

Korg and Roland will probably respond to Yamaha with new models

#295725 - 10/08/10 03:11 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
to the genesys Offline

DNJ “Midjay was the most versatile UNIT with really kool features that I enjoyed thats you caould play all modes at the SIMUTANEOUSLY with seperat slider controls, but who wants to carry and hook up modules?”
“who wants to carry and hook up modules” coming from the same person who carries and hook up a separate VH unit.

“Roland G70 excellent arranger in So many ways ...great VH, super key-bed, phenomenal editing capabilities, makeup tools, maybe a bit smaller all around, 10 lbs lighter, and add a Mp3 player and for me even with the 76 keys would be a super arranger for live performance..”

“and for me even with the 76 keys would be a super arranger for live performance” Yamaha are you listening? Straight from the horses mouth (meaning a Yamaha 61 key user). How is that for market research.

------------------
TTG

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 10-08-2010).]

#295726 - 10/08/10 06:35 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Dnj Offline

76 keys is a mere option I can take or leave....it's the last thing on my needs list.

#295727 - 10/08/10 08:27 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Just depends on how you use your keyboard I guess.

I have given some thought as to why I like/need 76.

I play all kinds of music. Standards, oldies, country, old westerns, nice ballads, classis rock, no modern rock, if that is all I played...I would be OK with 61..
BUT 'that' is not all I play and in fact those are the minority of what I like.

Musical Theatre, movie themes, orchestral versions of the above. Stuff that has a wide dynamic range because of the instruments and arrangments.

I like to have 2 octives for LH minimum..so I can play more than just chords there. I like to have 2 zones on upper each 2 octives, so I can for example have a string section on the R1 and a Frenchhorns on the R2.
That adds up to more than 5 octives.
Also, I sometimes even like to add a R3 for FX maybe like some percussions, whistle, Violin etc.

AND I lke to do some piano...(No not serious 88 note weighted) 61 is a joke then, I loose 27 notes.

76 is a nice tradeoff and if you look at the size/weight of a 76 vs a 61 it is usually very little. My PA2 is 47 x 14
A T3 is 44 x 17...the 76er is 3 inches longer AND 3 inches LESS in depth!!
Maybe some have not looked at it this way???

There is only 6 lbs difference in weight.

Both of them are prett heavy to cart around...matbe a PSR910 is the great solution for that? Right Ian?

But for the home studio, or living room 76 rules! If I decide to do one with only 61, then I will add the lower kbd. (Yep Piano is still screwed)

I'll wait to see what comes along..for now I'm happy with what I play.

Lee S.

#295728 - 10/08/10 08:32 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:

I have given some thought as to why I like/need 76.

I play all kinds of music. Standards, oldies, country, old westerns, nice ballads, classis rock, no modern rock, if that is all I played...I would be OK with 61..
BUT 'that' is not all I play and in fact those are the minority of what I like.

Musical Theatre, movie themes, orchestral versions of the above. Stuff that has a wide dynamic range because of the instruments and arrangments.

I like to have 2 octives for LH minimum..so I can play more than just chords there. I like to have 2 zones on upper each 2 octives, so I can for example have a string section on the R1 and a Frenchhorns on the R2.
That adds up to more than 5 octives.
Also, I sometimes even like to add a R3 for FX maybe like some percussions, whistle, Violin etc.

AND I lke to do some piano...(No not serious 88 note weighted) 61 is a joke then, I loose 27 notes.

76 is a nice tradeoff and if you look at the size/weight of a 76 vs a 61 it is usually very little. My PA2 is 47 x 14
A T3 is 44 x 17...the 76er is 3 inches longer AND 3 inches LESS in depth!!
Maybe some have not looked at it this way???

There is only 6 lbs difference in weight.

Both of them are prett heavy to cart around...matbe a PSR910 is the great solution for that? Right Ian?

But for the home studio, or living room 76 rules! If I decide to do one with only 61, then I will add the lower kbd. (Yep Piano is still screwed)

Lee S.

Well obviously you wont get that from the Tyros line...but there are many other choices for you to enjoy that have
76 keys, Audya, Pa2x, G70, etc.....or use a 76/88 key controller, or a module....
have fun choosing whats right for your needs.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-08-2010).]

#295729 - 10/08/10 08:53 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:

Lee S.

Exactly, Lee...it's how you intend to use the instrument.

My gigs are 99% arranger, so 61 keys are perfect for me...also, I don't use massive layers in the RH; two sounds are enough.

In the LH I rarely use a sound at all, unless I want a particular sounding pad effect and/or brass stabs...I program/edit my styles to provide the strings/synthpad and to do most of the work...I rarely use a piano or E.Piano in the left...I like to give my music some space and room to breathe.

For studio, 61 still does the job, because for piano parts, I can midi up my 88 note digital piano...I find playing full (solo) piano on semi-weighted keys a real downer.

On a 61 note arranger, "piano" is only a melody sound, and only one of many sounds I use.

I'm not putting down anyone for using 76 semi-weighted key'd arranger...it's just not for me, or for my needs.

That's not to say my needs won't change, but I use what I need for the present, not what I imagine I might need in the future...when that time comes, I will adapt as I always have in the past.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-08-2010).]

#295730 - 10/08/10 09:41 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Strange, though, that even a 61 arranger includes the 'full keyboard' chord triggering options with On Bass, obviously designed for piano and Rhodes players to play normally (as much as possible, anyway!) and have the arranger's chord detection to come up with the correct backing chords.

So, despite not having enough keys to play a full piano part, it includes the software specifically FOR that function...

You would think, if Ian's system is in the majority, that they wouldn't need that full keyboard detection at all...

#295731 - 10/08/10 10:08 AM Re: I REFUSE To BUY a TYROS 4.............
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

You would think, if Ian's system is in the majority, that they wouldn't need that full keyboard detection at all...

The system works great for it's intended use on a 61, and, for me, that is to play two-handed chords, if I so wish...I find this especially handy for multi-tracking, at least in my case.

It also works terrific if I midi up my 88.

Still, I still prefer 88 weighted hammer for actual piano playing...probably always will.

That's why I have no need of a 76'er, although, I can understand why you do... that's why I don't ever feel the need to criticize your preferences....I'm too busy enjoying my own choices.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online