SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295693 - 10/07/10 09:31 AM Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Which (if any) arranger kbs incorporate a feature to easily change the volume of a Style's individual drum part(s) (kick, hi hat, snare, etc)?

To do this on Yamaha arrangers requires going into STYLE 'step edit' mode, and individually locating 'every occurrence' of a given drum part (aka: note) and then having to manually raise/lower the velocity of every occurance of that note individually. This is both tedious and time consuming. I'd prefer a dedicated on board arr kb 'drumkit editor' of which to support universally changing the % volume of a given drum (note) part (hi hat, snare, bass, etc). Do any of the other arranger brands include such a feature?

Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

#295694 - 10/07/10 09:32 AM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
Dnj Offline

Roland G70 does this better then any arranger KB I have ever performed with...simply & efficiently down to the very most "detailed seperate drum kit edits"..on EACH part of the KIT...way beyond just Vol, Pan, EQ,....
BTW Scott does this mean your back on SZ to induldge in conversation again? or?...

http://www.roland.com/products/en/G-70/

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-07-2010).]

#295695 - 10/07/10 09:41 AM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
DannyUK Offline

I find this quite easy to do on the Korg PA1x as well. Not found the option on the T3 yet.

#295696 - 10/07/10 09:48 AM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
Dusan Offline

Loc: Slovenija
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Which (if any) arranger kbs incorporate a feature to easily change the volume of a Style's individual drum part(s) (kick, hi hat, snare, etc)?

To do this on Yamaha arrangers requires going into STYLE 'step edit' mode, and individually locating 'every occurrence' of a given drum part (aka: note) and then having to manually raise/lower the velocity of every occurance of that note individually. This is both tedious and time consuming. I'd prefer a dedicated on board arr kb 'drumkit editor' of which to support universally changing the % volume of a given drum (note) part (hi hat, snare, bass, etc). Do any of the other arranger brands include such a feature?

Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

Hi Scottyee,I am glad to se you here.Its loong time to last hear you.
My ansver on your question is positive.On Audya is paseble to set volume for ich instrument in drum section.Allso I can set Reverb and Pan on the same way like volume.

#295697 - 10/07/10 10:08 AM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
You can adjust the volume of drum parts on Korg arrangers as well. There is a dedicated menu to do this easily.

#295698 - 10/07/10 11:07 AM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Hi Scott...in the PA2XPRO's (PA800 as well)style play mode you can do what you want.

Page 101 in the manual has a feature to change each DRUM FAMILY volume in relation to what is recorded in the original style.

8 familys are listed, kick,snare,tom,hi hat,cymbal,perc1,perc2,EFX

So you can bring up a style...change any/all drum groups to be the way you want...play..OR of course you could save this as a perfornance and have it the way you want when you call up that perfomace.
It effects this style onlty and is not global to all styles.

You DO NOT have to go into each occurance. This adj the drum group for the whole style.

Hope this helps.

Lee S.

#295699 - 10/07/10 11:23 AM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Once you have multi-velocity drum sounds (that change the actual sample played as you hit harder), there is a very significant difference between raising a drum's volume, and raising the drum's velocity.

Having an edit system that allows BOTH is just about essential, IMO.

Donny is right in that Roland made doing this easier than any other arranger, and it makes a RADICAL difference to how easy it is to tweak conversions and user styles to your taste. After all, if something is easy to do, you are likely to want to do it. Make it hard, and you are most likely to not bother (and suffer one way or another from the drop in sound quality)....

BTW, all Roland E series arrangers (E50/60/80) as well as the G70 had this capability. You don't have to get the TOTL to have access to this.

#295700 - 10/07/10 11:29 AM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
This is one of the main reasons I like my dinosaur i30. I have live access to nine volumn sliders. Drum, Perc, Bass, Acc1, acc2, acc3, main, and sub. This is handy with midi files also.

I also still have the best sequencer of any arranger. A friend told me his PX whatever did not have as good a sequence as his old Korg i30 and he missed it. I had to have the sequencer for backup for playing my tenor.

To me I can't understand playing without the sliders. On some tunes I want the drums volumn higher even on the same style for a different song.
Boo

#295701 - 10/07/10 11:56 AM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:

Sadly, that's the case with Yamaha's drum tracks...other brands do it better.

If you've tried a Korg PA2Xpro/800, maybre they could appeal to you and give you the editing detail you need.

Roland's out of the game for the time being (maybe for good), but there appears to be a good possibilty of a new TOTL Korg arranger in the near future, if rumors can be trusted.

Then again, if you liked what you heard when you played the present models, perhaps a 2Xpro or 800 would be a fine choice.

By the way, it's great to see you posting again...you were missed.

Ian

#295702 - 10/07/10 12:04 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
leeboy Offline

Boo,
Yes the PA2XPRO has those slides and they are super...I use them for all kinds of things AND there is an option to have them user programmed. As well as volume, drawbar, mic modes.

Lee S.

#295703 - 10/07/10 12:04 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
So glad you are back....
I missed you !!

------------------
mdorantes

#295704 - 10/07/10 12:04 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
Diki Offline

Brickboo, I think the point of the thread was the ability to adjust the drums WITHIN a kit, not simply raise or lower the entire drum Part. Just about EVERY modern arranger allows you to adjust the Parts easily enough. But when a snare is buried, or a clave part is driving you crazy, raising the entire kit isn't the solution.

BTW, the Roland's also had an easy to get to page where either the drums or the percussion could be muted in realtime (great for breakdowns), and there's a nice easy mute button on each drum edit page, too, if you need to silence a sound altogether...

None of this stuff is proprietary... It's time that some other manufacturers swallowed their pride and simply COPIED the best features that Roland have dropped.

Come on, Korg, come on Ketron.... where's my Chord Sequencer?

#295705 - 10/07/10 12:42 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I have owned and edited on both. The Roland wins....EASILY....Nothing else comes close to the G70, not only for the degree of detailed editing, but add the ease with which this is accomplished and its top of the class.

Yes the Korg DOES have rather detailed editing as well, but you need to go through hoops to get it done and it is not as easy as some would have you believe.

Dennis

#295706 - 10/07/10 12:52 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
Diki Offline

And once again, I reiterate that Roland put this capability in it's CHEAPEST E series as well as the TOTL G70 and E80...

#295707 - 10/07/10 01:08 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Thanks to all for your insightful replies as well as the welcome back. I continue to check the forum daily so never really left, but simply don't have as much spare time to post as regularly as I did in years past. That said, though Tyros2 continues to satisfy both myself & my audiences, I'm keeping my eyes & ears open to all the upcoming new arr kb model offerings. My current top 61 note considerations include:

1) Korg PA800 or next generation equivalent
2) Ketron Audya 5
3) Yamaha Tyros4 and/or Yamaha S910

Unfortunately (for me), the only reason I'm unable to consider a Roland (yet) is because its the only arranger keyboard manufacturer not yet supporting jazz style chord recognition the way all the other aforementioned brands have finally thankfully done.

And yes, another vote for bringing back Roland's very useful for live perf. 'chord sequencer'. I really think all the brands should have picked up on this by now.

Scott
Scott Yee Entertainment

#295708 - 10/07/10 01:13 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
Diki Offline

Quote:
And yes, another vote for bringing back Roland's very useful for live perf. 'chord sequencer'. I really think all the brands should have picked up on this by now.

Including Roland themselves!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 10-07-2010).]

#295709 - 10/07/10 07:44 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
leeboy Offline

Dennis...
I don't understand your comment.I just did it...simple as pie.

1) select the style
2) hit menu button
3) press tracks on the screen
4) select the drum family you want to change..use the data wheel OR your finger as a slider on the touch screen to adj as you want.

Done. and IF you want to save it...just save the new settings as performance.

How much easier can it b??

LeeS.

#295710 - 10/07/10 08:36 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
miden Offline

Leeboy we are talking about individual drum instrument editing, not simple volume control!!

Sheesh, I could do the entire PA1/2 style library in about two hours if it were just the volumes or mutes

#295711 - 10/07/10 08:38 PM Re: Adjusting Vol Level of Indiviual Drum Part(s) in a Style
miden Offline

Oh and that method you are describing is for WHOLE kits. I also used that method from time to time and it is really easy albeit a tad simplistic.

Stop being so defensive about the PA series..I didn't dump it because I didn't like it...The PA2x was too unreliable.. I should know, I went through three of em!! All with a different factory issue.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online