SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295522 - 10/06/10 05:04 AM T4 first impression
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Hello everyone,

I had the chance to play one of the T4's that a very good customer of mine is allowing me to play until he comes to pick it up.

Out of the box the design seems to create a deeper look to the board, like if it's deeper than the T3, I'll have to check the specs.

Layout is about the same but it feels like things were moved around just a bit.

Pros

-Adding xlr for mic.
-adding a screen icon for VH2
-seems like a sharper screen, but could be me used to looking at the Audya
-loads and loads of choir/vocal/do-wop stuff
-there seems to be about 50 new styles added
-MP3 playback
-updated Music finder
-very good keyboard feel
-blue lights are very soothing
-orchestration stuff is amazing, very good individual sounds to create a movie type soundtrack that is good enough to actually use in a movie soundtrack
-some new drum kits and pads
-Awesome new modern Dance Styles

Cons
-I still feel the drums are to conservative, I still find myself turning the volume up, then eq'ing more bass and treble, mixing more bass drum in. This might be extreme but I'm comparing to the Audya, Roland and PA2xpro.
-too much choir/vocal/ stuff it seems like they tried to add it to almost every style.
-Latin section still not close to the other guys
-No phantom power on XLR

Now this was a 15 minute demo, so hopefully after I play it for a while I can give you a better review,

Overall its a nice step up from a T3, I think a clear winner leaps and bounds from a T2.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

[This message has been edited by frankieve (edited 10-06-2010).]

#295523 - 10/06/10 05:13 AM Re: T4 first impression
Dnj Offline

"loads and loads of choir/vocal/do-wop stuff"

WHY?...

"too much choir/vocal/ stuff it seems like they tried to add it to almost every style."

And.....MORE WHY?

#295524 - 10/06/10 05:23 AM Re: T4 first impression
frankieve Offline

in their defense, they do sound amazing

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#295525 - 10/06/10 05:25 AM Re: T4 first impression
Beakybird Offline

Regardless of how the drums sit in the mix, when soloed, do they sound authentic as compared to the other brands? There are many new kits. What are they about?

Any other voices stand out?

Beakybird

#295526 - 10/06/10 05:29 AM Re: T4 first impression
frankieve Offline

The drum thing is hard to explain, it's not just a volume thing, the drums are great sounding, I just think they need more eqing and allot let limiting and compression,

There are some new drum samples too but like I said, hopefully later today I can play some more, I'll be out most of the day

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#295527 - 10/06/10 05:43 AM Re: T4 first impression
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Frank, (or others in the know)
I don't mind them adding all the choir/vocal/do-wop etc stuff...BUT did they take away from what was there...OR change styles that did not have it to ONLY a type that has it?

In other words did they ruin some stuff that was there?

Also...do you think the Orchestral stuff is better than T3(and PA2XPRO) ? That's the stuff I love to use.

Thanks for your help as always...
Lee S.

#295528 - 10/06/10 06:58 AM Re: T4 first impression
Beakybird Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
Frank, (or others in the know)
I don't mind them adding all the choir/vocal/do-wop etc stuff...BUT did they take away from what was there...OR change styles that did not have it to ONLY a type that has it?

In other words did they ruin some stuff that was there?

Also...do you think the Orchestral stuff is better than T3(and PA2XPRO) ? That's the stuff I love to use.

Thanks for your help as always...
Lee S.

You can take any style from the T3 and play it on the T4 - and substitute a new drum kit, so nothing is going to be ruined.

You can also edit a T4 style by substituting a choral track with a track from a nearly identical T3 style.

Beakybird

#295529 - 10/06/10 07:01 AM Re: T4 first impression
DannyUK Offline

Hi Frankieve,

Thanks for your initial impressions, I would love to know more about those 50 extra styles as well as those new Dance Styles which "could" get me interested in upgrading to a T4. There is already a Chillout style that I really want badly, there's a whole host of music I could play with that style alone, and if those Dance styles are as good as you say they are it could do it for me.

Thanks,
Danny

#295530 - 10/06/10 07:11 AM Re: T4 first impression
DannyUK Offline

Hi Beakybird, hopefully I would be able to just save all the internal T3 styles and copy them into a folder on the T4 and play them exactly as they would sound on the T3, that is what I would want/expect.

Danny.

#295531 - 10/06/10 07:13 AM Re: T4 first impression
frankieve Offline

I wish we could edit and override the preset styles

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#295532 - 10/06/10 07:14 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am just curious as to why this opinion about Yamaha T4 does not garner a scathing post by our favorite Yamaha fanboys? I mean, let's be fair... Frankie is only saying pretty much the same thing about the Yamaha drum sound (and the gimmicky voices in many of the styles) that MANY of us have, but so far (maybe I'm just being premature, but I don't think so - it usually takes only a few minutes for Ian to jump in and slap down anything negative about Yamaha ) he's getting a free pass.

Maybe it's because Frank is a Yamaha DEALER? They must be like preachers to the Yamaha devotees... how crushing it must be to find that even ONE of them is capable of applying an objective viewpoint to the task of reviewing the arranger.

I have always respected Frank and George, both dealers capable of looking beyond the brand loyalty of a product they are trying to sell, and being able to speak frankly about both good AND bad points of an arranger.

Unlike so MANY here...

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned? After all, if a Yamaha DEALER can bring himself to offer both criticism and praise, maybe it's not quite so necessary to beat down ANY dissenting viewpoints? Maybe it's time we can start to discuss these things without the religious fervor that permeates much of the tone of Yamaha opinion...?

#295533 - 10/06/10 07:34 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Frank...great review.

It's nice to get opinions from someone who has actually played the instrument.

I'm now looking forward even more to getting the Tyros4 here on my sample account, and digging in to all the new features, styles and sounds.

Ian(Yamaha fanboy, and proud of it!)

#295534 - 10/06/10 07:38 AM Re: T4 first impression
DannyUK Offline

Ian, I think I may be getting one to! I've succumbed Does that make me a fanboy as well? Oh well

#295535 - 10/06/10 07:45 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

Curious, mind you, that someone that actually PLAYED one has come to exactly the same opinion that those of us that so far have only had the opportunity to LISTEN to one came to...

Maybe we are not so dumb after all?

In fact, maybe it's possible to tell something about the sound of an instrument by actually LISTENING to it, rather than simply looking at the logo on the front panel?

#295536 - 10/06/10 07:50 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:
Ian, I think I may be getting one to! I've succumbed Does that make me a fanboy as well? Oh well

Well, I've learned the term "fanboy" means, "A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter...a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something."

Seems to suit most, if not all, the members on this site.

I always think of it as a compliment.

Ian

PS...Yes, I'm gradually being convinced about having my own sparkly new Tyros4 sitting here in my little studio.

#295537 - 10/06/10 08:01 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

In fact, maybe it's possible to tell something about the sound of an instrument by actually LISTENING to it, rather than simply looking at the logo on the front panel?

Most of us have already come to that obvious conclusion, Diki, but why don't you give it a try, and report back in the morning?

Honestly, Diki, I think you just hang around SZ to pester those who really are interested in the Tyros4...clearly you aren't one of them, since it lacks 76 keys, so why not let us fanboys appreciate it for what it is...a fantastic new arranger.

Ian

#295538 - 10/06/10 08:09 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Well, I've learned the term "fanboy" means, "A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter...a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something."

Actually, that is simply YOUR self-serving 'definition' of 'fanboy', Ian. I think Wiki's explanation comes a little closer to the uncomfortable truth:

Quote:
Fanboy is a term used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field. Fanboy-ism is often prevalent in a field of products, brands or universe of characters where very few competitors (or enemies in fiction, such as comics) exist. An example is the market for CPUs for PCs, where AMD and Intel together hold a market share of 99.6% (as of Q1 2009)[4]. In this market, users of home computers realistically only have a choice between two brands, and hence, a fight over which is better easily ensues. In this field, an "Intel fanboy" prefers CPUs made by Intel, and might aggressively defend their supposed superiority compared to the other brand(s), be skeptical or in denial about negative reviews of the product, and exert a high level of brand loyalty. The same brand war ensues when comparing video card brands Nvidia and ATI, which together dominate the video card market.

In particular, I think the 'and might aggressively defend their supposed superiority compared to the other brand(s), be skeptical or in denial about negative reviews of the product, and exert a high level of brand loyalty' part has you pegged.

But it is apparent you like to pick and choose your 'targets' carefully, as Frank's less than universally glowing review of the T4 got a 'great review' response from you, whereas anyone else (particularly me!) saying EXACTLY the same thing gets an attack bordering on the rabid.

But, at least now a more objective description of fanboy exists, you can continue to admit its' relevance to your stance, re Yamaha...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 10-06-2010).]

#295539 - 10/06/10 08:12 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

And, for your information, I DO consider the T4 as a fantastic new arranger... just lacking in a few key features, as even one of its' dealers can admit.

But can you?

Not in a million years, fanboy!

#295540 - 10/06/10 08:17 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

But it is apparent you like to pick and choose your 'targets' carefully,

So do you Diki. You are constantly shooting first and calling whatever you hit the target.

Now, more seriously, have you yet discovered maybe it's possible to tell something about the sound of an instrument by actually LISTENING to it, rather than simply looking at the logo on the front panel?

Or do we have to wait till morning, fanboy?

Ian

#295541 - 10/06/10 08:21 AM Re: T4 first impression
Bachus Offline

We all do know whome is the Yamaha fanboy, i beleive i had the same discussion with him yesterday..

Personally i liked the new Yamaha drums, but then thye where demoed by Yamaha and announced as the live sounding yamaha drum styles, i guessed that made clear to me that with the right amount of tweaking the Yamaha can come close to the styles i really like in the Audya.

But then there are other things missing that prvent me from ordering a T4.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#295542 - 10/06/10 08:25 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
And, for your information, I DO consider the T4 as a fantastic new arranger... just lacking in a few key features, as even one of its' dealers can admit.

But can you?

Well, fellow fanboy, Diki, unlike you, I make my final judgements by playing the instrument, of which I have not yet had the pleasure.

"Key features" has a different meaning depending on the user's needs.

But, I'll be sure and report both the good and the bad when I do, and for your benefit, I promise not to use any big words...

Ian

#295543 - 10/06/10 08:27 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
We all do know whome is the Yamaha fanboy,

Thanks Jim...nice of you to notice.

How are things at the circus?

Ian

#295544 - 10/06/10 08:33 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
So do you Diki. You are constantly shooting first and calling whatever you hit the target.

Now, more seriously, have you yet discovered maybe it's possible to tell something about the sound of an instrument by actually LISTENING to it, rather than simply looking at the logo on the front panel?

Or do we have to wait till morning, fanboy?

Ian

OMG.... 'I know you are, but what am I?' once again..?

Ian, you are beginning to lose it. I NEVER have to resort to making stuff up, but you are beginning to retreat to a world the rest of us simply don't live in. I have had more intelligent discussions with four year olds..!

What a fantastic place Ian's World must be... Pretty clouds and flowers, not a dissenting word about Yamaha's in the whole thing, and nobody realizing what an empty shell of an argument he has for anyone with a valid point... Because nobody HAS a valid point! How does it feel to rule, there, Ian..?

Must be nice...

#295545 - 10/06/10 08:35 AM Re: T4 first impression
leeboy Offline

Are you guys done?? :-)

OK, so you can use the T3 styles...I knew that...1) will they sound the same(sames vices) 2) but if I don't have a T3 and I buy a T4...Am I in trouble if I get the T3 styles from someone here...and use them on the T4?

Copyrights??
Lee S.

#295546 - 10/06/10 08:47 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
What a fantastic place Ian's World must be...
Must be nice...

It sure is, fanboy...playing the finest and newest arrangers, enjoying each day to the fullest, and laughing at your silly posts really makes my world pretty nice.

Thanks for noticing.

Ian

#295547 - 10/06/10 08:52 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Are you guys done?? :-)

OK, so you can use the T3 styles...I knew that...1) will they sound the same(sames vices) 2) but if I don't have a T3 and I buy a T4...Am I in trouble if I get the T3 styles from someone here...and use them on the T4?

Copyrights??
Lee S.

The Tyros3 styles should sound the same on the Tyros4, as the voices used are retained on the latter.

The Tyros2 styles worked fine on the Tyros3, so it shouldn't be any different going from T3 to T4.

Those with a Tyros3 can simply download the on-board styles to flashdrive.

Ian

#295548 - 10/06/10 08:58 AM Re: T4 first impression
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Frank,

How about the new vocal harmonizer? Is it up to the quality of the other TOTL arrangers?

Tom

#295549 - 10/06/10 08:59 AM Re: T4 first impression
DannyUK Offline

Lee,

You can download them from here:
http://www.psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/Tyros3/tyros_3.html

Danny.

#295550 - 10/06/10 09:03 AM Re: T4 first impression
DannyUK Offline

Ian, it does come with a built in Harddrive right? 250gig I believe???

#295551 - 10/06/10 09:06 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Ian, it does come with a built in Harddrive right? 250gig I believe???

That's correct, Danny...250 Gig it is.

Ian

#295552 - 10/06/10 09:07 AM Re: T4 first impression
DannyUK Offline

Phew thank goodness because I just checked the specs on the official site and it didn't say it was included/internal like it does one the T3 specs.

Thanks for clearing that up, that could have been a problem for me.

Danny.

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 10-06-2010).]

#295553 - 10/06/10 09:11 AM Re: T4 first impression
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
I wish we could edit and override the preset styles

You can, in fact Yamaha encouraged that in previous (Ty2) manuals.
Copy the styles you're interested in - maybe all if you wish - to your own folders on the hard disk or USB (or User Drive if not a huge number and there is space).
Then set up the relevant style buttons to access your folders containing the style copies instead of those in ROM.
Since they are in RAM you can now modify the styles and resave at leisure (to the same names or different depending on preference).

john

#295554 - 10/06/10 09:17 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Phew that goodness because I just checked the specs on the official site and it didn't say it was included/internal like it does one the T3 specs.

Thanks for clearing that up, that could have been a problem for me.

Danny.

Here are the specs...the latest, I believe.

http://music-tyros.com/tyros4/spec/index.html

Just think; having all those great T3 styles plus all the new and newly re-voiced Tyros4 styles...Yeehaw!

And...of course all the Tyros and Tyros2 styles can be used, as well as CVP.

Ian

#295555 - 10/06/10 09:22 AM Re: T4 first impression
DannyUK Offline

Ian,

I know, it's just absolutely mind boggling the amount of quality styles there is for the T3 & now the T4, the prospect of transferring everything over to the T4 that I've been working on since Feb and knowing that at the very least it will sound the same with the option of improving everything I have is just amazing, as soon as I can find a good dealer that will take my T3 & PA1x in exchange then I will definately buy a T4

Thanks for your help Ian it's been much appreciated.

Danny

#295556 - 10/06/10 09:27 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

As gimmicky as many (Frank says 'almost every style') styles are with all the doo-wop stuff in it, it's probably a good thing to discuss how easy, or not, editing styles are on the T4...

I have a feeling that many users are going to need to do this after the novelty aspect wears off...

#295557 - 10/06/10 09:34 AM Re: T4 first impression
leeboy Offline

Well,
I;m glad I asked the question...but the rest of the answer please...
If I use (copy from someone)he T2, T3 styles to a T4 am I OK or in violation of Copyright?
Ian?
Lee S.

#295558 - 10/06/10 09:39 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Well,
I;m glad I asked the question...but the rest of the answer please...
If I use (copy from someone)he T2, T3 styles to a T4 am I OK or in violation of Copyright?
Ian?
Lee S.

Considering the Tyros2/3 styles are available for download at the addy DannyUK posted above, I can't see any issues.

Ian

#295559 - 10/06/10 02:12 PM Re: T4 first impression
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Diki, you started IT this time. Why couldn't you wait until Ian did say something? You had to bait him and then the flood gates were opened. I enjoy your and Ian's posts and opinions, but this time I must say I think you just wanted to get that pissing contest started...

I'm not interested in any particular arranger right now, but if I was I'd be interested in the T4 because it sounds like a decent step up. That just leads me to wait for the s910 replacement.

#295560 - 10/06/10 02:37 PM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
I'm not interested in any particular arranger right now, but if I was I'd be interested in the T4 because it sounds like a decent step up. That just leads me to wait for the s910 replacement.

Cassp,

Since I'm not sure of my personal gig types in the near future, I'm in much the same situation as you in that I'm not really interested in buying anything right now, but I must say, the Tyros4 keeps getting more tempting.

Having said that, I'm pleased as punch with the S910...it has so much for a mid-priced arranger, and I really do love the sounds and styles, as well as it's speakers and portability.

The Tyros4 would surely bring many more sounds to the table, as well as newer styles, but think of it...how many sounds do you use in the run of a gig?

I might use 10-20 or so, and the S910 already has great Piano, Guitar, Sax, Strings, Harmonica, Flute, and Hammond B-3 sims. and other important sounds.

I've been using it far more than the Tyros3 I have here.

You and I both know the best instrument is the one that meets our needs.

Of course, I may get drawn into buying the Tyros4 if it really knocks me
out( I hope it doesn't)...we can always change our minds, and we only have
to please one person...ourselves.

And, as you say, there is always the S-920, or whatever they call it.

It's certainly not a penalty having a mid-line arranger anymore...they easily rival the TOTL instruments.

I hope you get an opportunity to play a Tyros4, and I'll look forward to your impressions.

Ian

#295561 - 10/06/10 02:38 PM Re: T4 first impression
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
I played the T4 for 3hours today,The drum kit is much better than the T3 kits,and you can edit the kits on the T4 w.o Pc.
I wil change my T3 for it when i have the money.

Impuls

#295562 - 10/06/10 02:41 PM Re: T4 first impression
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Wikipedia? Really? Since when does Wikipedia worth mentionaing as a credible reference when anyone could have written that defintiion if "fanboy"....even Diki!! who appears to be a "fanboy" of Wikipedia.

The issue is Yamaha has more "fanboys and girls" than any other brand. Maybe it's kust the way those letters Y - A - M - A - H - A roll of the tongue...or just maybe they make the best damm Workstations, Arrangers, and Motorcycles, in the World......Maybe they have the best SUPPORT for thier wares as well....I work for a dealer who sells Yamaha, Korg, (and Roland).Guess what we don't stock anymore? Korg PA series. It was impossible to sell a Korg against the Yamaha side by side. YOu carry what you sell.

Maybe their fanboys and girls don't want more "live drums" Maybe they want them already compressed to sit in the mix well. Maybe they can get the sound they want with the tools available...... Maybe thats why people who prefer Yamaha arrangers buy them......The even dynaminclly flat sound they are used to hearing when they put a 21st century CD in their players.

I will nver understand why those who would not consider buying a Yamaha are always trying to bring them down. Maybe someone can write a Wikipedia article on that....After all Wikipedia is today's Britannica Encyclopedia of undisputed definition and facts.

But yeah I am dissapointed in the T4 on a few levels as well.....But I am getting one anyway...

No Phantom power and still only two track audio recording without direct to USB recording like the Motif. At the price they are seeking there should be an SSD drive onboard or just flash memory cards and USB. Hard drives are so.....yesterday...like all of Roland's Arrangers

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-06-2010).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#295563 - 10/06/10 03:05 PM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Wikipedia? Really? Since when does Wikipedia worth mentionaing as a credible reference when anyone could have written that defintiion if "fanboy"....even Diki!! who appears to be a "fanboy" of Wikipedia.

Maybe they should rename it "Dikipedia"?

By the way, great post KF...good points throughout.

Ian

#295564 - 10/06/10 03:10 PM Re: T4 first impression
mc Offline

Loc: New York
moved to another post

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 10-06-2010).]

#295565 - 10/06/10 04:15 PM Re: T4 first impression
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
moved

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-06-2010).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#295566 - 10/06/10 04:20 PM Re: T4 first impression
Dnj Offline

1,2,Cha,Cha,Cha

#295567 - 10/07/10 01:07 PM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

Do a simple Google search for the word fanboy. You'll get essentially the same interpretation that so offends those that most resemble it. On just about ANY site.

From Urban Dictionary:
September 19, 2006 Urban Word of the Day

A passionate fan of various elements of geek culture (e.g. sci-fi, comics, Star Wars, video games, anime, hobbits, Magic: the Gathering, etc.), but who lets his passion override social graces.

Sound familiar?

#295568 - 10/07/10 01:59 PM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Do a simple Google search for the word fanboy. You'll get essentially the same interpretation that so offends those that most resemble it. On just about ANY site.

From Urban Dictionary:
September 19, 2006 Urban Word of the Day

A passionate fan of various elements of geek culture, but who lets his passion override social graces.

Sound familiar?

So, according to that definition, YOU are a fanboy too.

Welcome to the flock.

Ian

#295569 - 10/07/10 02:20 PM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

The Flocking Idiots... great name for a band!

I guess our difference is, while I continue to USE Roland products, I am not in any sense of the words a 'fanboy' about them, being able to find fault with them as easily as I find fault with Yamaha, Korg, Ketron, you name it...

#295570 - 10/07/10 03:10 PM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:

I guess our difference is, while I continue to USE Roland products, I am not in any sense of the words a 'fanboy' about them.

Oh yes you are...read your definition again.

Ian

PS...since Roland's high-end arranger division has passed away, I've heard rumors that Fran has been seen dressed all in black and wandering around, muttering to himself, writing YAMAHA on his forehead with a grease pencil, and then quickly rubbing it off.

Now, that's a FANBOY!!

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-07-2010).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online