SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#295532 - 10/06/10 07:14 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am just curious as to why this opinion about Yamaha T4 does not garner a scathing post by our favorite Yamaha fanboys? I mean, let's be fair... Frankie is only saying pretty much the same thing about the Yamaha drum sound (and the gimmicky voices in many of the styles) that MANY of us have, but so far (maybe I'm just being premature, but I don't think so - it usually takes only a few minutes for Ian to jump in and slap down anything negative about Yamaha ) he's getting a free pass.

Maybe it's because Frank is a Yamaha DEALER? They must be like preachers to the Yamaha devotees... how crushing it must be to find that even ONE of them is capable of applying an objective viewpoint to the task of reviewing the arranger.

I have always respected Frank and George, both dealers capable of looking beyond the brand loyalty of a product they are trying to sell, and being able to speak frankly about both good AND bad points of an arranger.

Unlike so MANY here...

Perhaps there is a lesson to be learned? After all, if a Yamaha DEALER can bring himself to offer both criticism and praise, maybe it's not quite so necessary to beat down ANY dissenting viewpoints? Maybe it's time we can start to discuss these things without the religious fervor that permeates much of the tone of Yamaha opinion...?

#295533 - 10/06/10 07:34 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks Frank...great review.

It's nice to get opinions from someone who has actually played the instrument.

I'm now looking forward even more to getting the Tyros4 here on my sample account, and digging in to all the new features, styles and sounds.

Ian(Yamaha fanboy, and proud of it!)

#295534 - 10/06/10 07:38 AM Re: T4 first impression
DannyUK Offline

Ian, I think I may be getting one to! I've succumbed Does that make me a fanboy as well? Oh well

#295535 - 10/06/10 07:45 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

Curious, mind you, that someone that actually PLAYED one has come to exactly the same opinion that those of us that so far have only had the opportunity to LISTEN to one came to...

Maybe we are not so dumb after all?

In fact, maybe it's possible to tell something about the sound of an instrument by actually LISTENING to it, rather than simply looking at the logo on the front panel?

#295536 - 10/06/10 07:50 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:
Ian, I think I may be getting one to! I've succumbed Does that make me a fanboy as well? Oh well

Well, I've learned the term "fanboy" means, "A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter...a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something."

Seems to suit most, if not all, the members on this site.

I always think of it as a compliment.

Ian

PS...Yes, I'm gradually being convinced about having my own sparkly new Tyros4 sitting here in my little studio.

#295537 - 10/06/10 08:01 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

In fact, maybe it's possible to tell something about the sound of an instrument by actually LISTENING to it, rather than simply looking at the logo on the front panel?

Most of us have already come to that obvious conclusion, Diki, but why don't you give it a try, and report back in the morning?

Honestly, Diki, I think you just hang around SZ to pester those who really are interested in the Tyros4...clearly you aren't one of them, since it lacks 76 keys, so why not let us fanboys appreciate it for what it is...a fantastic new arranger.

Ian

#295538 - 10/06/10 08:09 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Well, I've learned the term "fanboy" means, "A fan, sometimes also called aficionado or supporter...a person with a liking and enthusiasm for something."

Actually, that is simply YOUR self-serving 'definition' of 'fanboy', Ian. I think Wiki's explanation comes a little closer to the uncomfortable truth:

Quote:
Fanboy is a term used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field. Fanboy-ism is often prevalent in a field of products, brands or universe of characters where very few competitors (or enemies in fiction, such as comics) exist. An example is the market for CPUs for PCs, where AMD and Intel together hold a market share of 99.6% (as of Q1 2009)[4]. In this market, users of home computers realistically only have a choice between two brands, and hence, a fight over which is better easily ensues. In this field, an "Intel fanboy" prefers CPUs made by Intel, and might aggressively defend their supposed superiority compared to the other brand(s), be skeptical or in denial about negative reviews of the product, and exert a high level of brand loyalty. The same brand war ensues when comparing video card brands Nvidia and ATI, which together dominate the video card market.

In particular, I think the 'and might aggressively defend their supposed superiority compared to the other brand(s), be skeptical or in denial about negative reviews of the product, and exert a high level of brand loyalty' part has you pegged.

But it is apparent you like to pick and choose your 'targets' carefully, as Frank's less than universally glowing review of the T4 got a 'great review' response from you, whereas anyone else (particularly me!) saying EXACTLY the same thing gets an attack bordering on the rabid.

But, at least now a more objective description of fanboy exists, you can continue to admit its' relevance to your stance, re Yamaha...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 10-06-2010).]

#295539 - 10/06/10 08:12 AM Re: T4 first impression
Diki Offline

And, for your information, I DO consider the T4 as a fantastic new arranger... just lacking in a few key features, as even one of its' dealers can admit.

But can you?

Not in a million years, fanboy!

#295540 - 10/06/10 08:17 AM Re: T4 first impression
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But it is apparent you like to pick and choose your 'targets' carefully,

So do you Diki. You are constantly shooting first and calling whatever you hit the target.

Now, more seriously, have you yet discovered maybe it's possible to tell something about the sound of an instrument by actually LISTENING to it, rather than simply looking at the logo on the front panel?

Or do we have to wait till morning, fanboy?

Ian

#295541 - 10/06/10 08:21 AM Re: T4 first impression
Bachus Offline

We all do know whome is the Yamaha fanboy, i beleive i had the same discussion with him yesterday..

Personally i liked the new Yamaha drums, but then thye where demoed by Yamaha and announced as the live sounding yamaha drum styles, i guessed that made clear to me that with the right amount of tweaking the Yamaha can come close to the styles i really like in the Audya.

But then there are other things missing that prvent me from ordering a T4.

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online