Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#294933 - 09/29/10 01:54 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by themutiny:
unlike some of the Yamaha fan-boys....

Welcome to SZ, son...always nice to see another Roland fan-boy.

You're in excellent company.

Nick, this forum caters to all...Yamaha fan-boys, Audya fan-boys, Korg fan-boys, and, yes, Roland fan-boys as well.

Some are even fan-boys for several brands.

Having said that, Diki would never steer you wrong, so pay attention to our resident Roland guru...the G-70 is a super arranger.

Ian

#294934 - 09/29/10 02:02 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, if you know and use the word 'cogent', you're a fairly big step away from many of the Yamaha fan-boys already! (Just kidding, kids...!)

But be careful petting that dog... they BITE!

I wouldn't BET on that Smartmedia card working in the G70. It's possible you can find a PCMCIA adapter to use it in the G70, but I doubt it has the same folder structure to work properly. But you will probably be able to transfer much of the data, especially SMF's and styles, to a computer and reorganize it there. But Performances (UPG's, whatever the Discover calls them) I would be surprised if they work as is...

That's a bit of a dodgy price on the G70. Be careful it's not a scam. Over here in the States, used G70's in GREAT condition go for $1500-2000, and out of production, I wouldn't want to risk a less than great condition. Mind you, at a few hundred quid, you don't have THAT much to lose!

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-29-2010).]

#294935 - 09/29/10 02:15 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
themutiny Offline

Hey

I'm sorry if i caused any offence...

Please bear in mind both my 'newbie' status, and the fact that I know **** about the technology. (you could of course factor in the fact that I know 'squat' about 'squat')

The only thing I do know, is that I have been running a succesful act for over 20 years..

I also know that you guys have far more experience than me, and the flavour of the site seems to suggest that
In order to get a proper response you need to be a bit inflammatory. So, I have been a bit 'mischievious

Cheers,

Nick'

[This message has been edited by themutiny (edited 09-29-2010).]

#294936 - 09/29/10 02:25 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
That's a bit of a dodgy price on the G70. Be careful it's not a scam. Over here in the States, used G70's in GREAT condition go for $1500-2000, and out of production, I wouldn't want to risk a less than great condition. Mind you, at a few hundred quid, you don't have THAT much to lose!

Good point Diki, and Nick can rest assured that any cogency on your part would be very sincere.

I believe Roland keep parts on hand for about 10 years, according to my rep buddy, Daniel, so that's another consideration if Nick plans a long term investment.

When was the G-70 launched...2002 or thereabouts?

Ian

#294937 - 09/29/10 02:33 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
Diki Offline

Trust me, list price on those replacement parts, especially important ones like motherboards and displays is WAY more than the total cost of a used G70 at those sort of prices. I wouldn't be worrying too much, just make sure it's cherry to start with, if you can.

And don't worry about being a newbie or just learning this stuff. All you will have to do on this forum to get attacked like a Danish cartoonist drawing the Prophet Muhammad is simply BREATHE a word of criticism of Yamaha or its' fans!...

We're thinking of changing the name to the SZ General Arranger Religion forum, soon!

#294938 - 09/29/10 02:37 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
themutiny Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Welcome to SZ, son...always nice to see another Roland fan-boy.

You're in excellent company.

Nick, this forum caters to all...Yamaha fan-boys, Audya fan-boys, Korg fan-boys, and, yes, Roland fan-boys as well.

Some are even fan-boys for several brands.

Having said that, Diki would never steer you wrong, so pay attention to our resident Roland guru...the G-70 is a super arranger.

Ian

Hey Ian\

I know it does.... I also know that you are a amin mover/shaker on this BBS.

Fair play to you....

#294939 - 09/29/10 02:42 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
themutiny Offline

i have absolutely no idea what my last post was about...

It didn't make any sense...

I'm ****ed.................

#294940 - 09/29/10 02:42 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by themutiny:
Hey

I'm sorry if i caused any offence...

In order to get a proper response you need to be a bit inflammatory. So, I have been a bit 'mischievious

Cheers,

Nick'

Ha Ha...you are very observant, Nick, and you catch on very quickly...again, welcome to SZ.

No offence taken at all...in fact, fanboy describes 99% of the posters here on SZ.

Diki and Fran are dedicated Roland fanboys, so you can trust their enthusiasm for the G-70...and Diki knows everything that needs to be known about the G-70, and he will educate you in all it's pluses and minuses.

Ian

#294941 - 09/29/10 02:51 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
Diki Offline

Well, if owning and using an arranger makes you a 'fanboy', then guilty as charged...

Personally, I tend to use it on those that are unwilling to criticize their OWN arranger to the degree they criticize others. And, on that score, I am NOT a 'fanboy'!

#294942 - 09/29/10 02:54 PM Re: Roland. Yes - but E80 or G70
themutiny Offline

And that's why I love this forum...

You guys are REALLY interesting. Your 'netiquette' makes me gasp - but hey....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online