SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#294424 - 09/25/10 02:24 PM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Statistically significant research is tricky. Rarely is it as simple as asking customers what they want and then having an R&D department make that happen.

More likely, the design of the research project is a byproduct of the need to answer questions related to a potential increase in PROFITS if certain changes are made. Yamaha could, for instance, easily identify a desire for a 76 note keyboard. They already know the cost adder to have 2 SKU's that are similar, price points, etc.

Any research on their part is designed to give them statistically significant data needed to assess way more than customer preferences. They link research data with data from cost accounting, product development...many other departments to decide what to produce.

Think about it. Do you think customers would respond favorably about carefully planned product obsolescence? I'll bet there IS research used to determine the impact of the decision to use planned obsolescence to introduce new models to maximize volume. They know, through their research efforts, how many people they are going to piss off and compare that to the increase in volume and profits they garner by frequently changing models. Just look at the vehicle manufacturers to see planned obsolescence, even, some say, to the extent that components are designed to fail at a pre-determined time or after a planned number of cycles.

My money would be on a belief that Yamaha is completely "bottom line" oriented (not necessarily a bad thing), has decided, based on some pretty good statistics, that the volume and profit is in home keyboards at specific price points and that not introducing 76 note arrangers is the best decision as far as the bottom line is concerned. They know that players who gig out with their products may want changes, but are happy enough with with what they are producing not to "jump ship". They know the size of this segment of the market and have decided their course of action based on some very good market research.

It's just that, as it is in most business situations, the research is focused on issues related to over-all business decisions, not just on customer preferences.

I feel I can comment with some authority on this matter. I have been teaching SPSS and
SAS research methodology at the graduate level for over 25 years and conduct statistically significant research for many large financial and manufacturing concerns, including an international manufacturer of vehicles and one of the largest electrical manufacturers in the world.

Numbers drive the process. And decisions are made to please the board of directors first; customers second.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-25-2010).]

#294425 - 09/25/10 07:20 PM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Kingfrog...C'mon man..
Organs have 2 freeking manuals (at least)
44, 49 or 61 note manuals typically.
When you have that 76 in not neccessary and to me not desireable either.

Trying to do EVERYTHING 'some' of us want to do ...in 61 is rediculous.

Lee S.

#294426 - 09/25/10 07:27 PM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Diki...I agree 100%.
I don't care what anyone says it is the only thing that really makes sense...division rivalry (or whatever you want to call it).

The Home Keyboards boys have been told..you stay in your sandbox...do not even think of bringing that great stuff in competition to us in the PRO division.
Ian, It may happen even though they don't tell 'you or your management' about it!

Lee S.

#294427 - 09/25/10 08:10 PM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
This is all speculation...the only one who has the answer is Yamaha.

Anything else is just a guess, supposition, or an assumption.

But they are all probably plausible...just not provable, and until someone from the marketing team, or a person in a position to actually know the entire true answer, presents it here, it will always be a topic without an end.

That's why this type of topic usually gets a high number of posts.

I'd say Russ and KingFrog would be the closest, but that's just an educated guess from my own experience...and, like the others here, I can't prove it.

At this point, I'm rather bored with the whole thing...it's been so over-discussed, and never solved.

So keep guessing and maybe Genny will get the prize for having the topic with the highest number of posts.

Ian

#294428 - 09/26/10 12:06 AM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
to the genesys Offline

Some seem to suggests that Yamaha making a 76 key MOTL or TOTL arranger will some how take away sales from another Yamaha division.

Surely that can not be right? Lets take Spalding segmented market for Yamaha that he presented above (1, 2, 3, and 4).
If there is a 76 key arranger segment 2, if Yamaha makes a 76 key arranger in segment 3, would the segment 3 76 key arranger take away sales from the segment 2 76 key arranger?
Well if that is the case, then why is it the 61 key PSR S910 is not taking away sales from the T3? Why is not the PSR S710 not taking away sales from the PSR S910?

And I would almost guaranty that if Yamaha were to make their PSR S910 successor 76 keys only, but the same size and weight as the existing PSR S910, but with T4 style and sound and flash memory and XLR and the same price as the PSR S910, Yamaha would not see a decrease in sales.

DNJ and others who are waiting for the PSR S910 successor, would probably still buy that keyboard.

And the persons who like the DGX would still buy the DGX because of the reason Spalding stated above.

------------------
I have shortened my ID to TTG

#294429 - 09/26/10 12:09 AM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
This is all speculation...the only one who has the answer is Yamaha.

Anything else is just a guess, supposition, or an assumption.

But they are all probably plausible...just not provable, and until someone from the marketing team, or a person in a position to actually know the entire true answer, presents it here, it will always be a topic without an end.

That's why this type of topic usually gets a high number of posts.

I'd say Russ and KingFrog would be the closest, but that's just an educated guess from my own experience...and, like the others here, I can't prove it.

At this point, I'm rather bored with the whole thing...it's been so over-discussed, and never solved.

So keep guessing and maybe Genny will get the prize for having the topic with the highest number of posts.

Ian

I see you are still trying to find your place in this forum Iana. Still not able to have a good conversation with mature persons. May be some day you would get there. Happy colouring!!

------------------

#294430 - 09/26/10 01:52 AM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Still not able to have a good conversation with mature persons.

Genny,

Your recent postings remind me of an archer who always manages to hit the target, by shooting first, and then calling whatever he happens to hit, the target.

Bottom line is that this topic will have no conclusion, until someone from Yamaha marketing confirms or negates the speculations, assumptions, and musings being posted.

Many of us can recall similar hypotheses and theories being posted back when the Tyros, Tyros2, Tyros3 were launched.

Yet, Tyros4 remains at 5 octaves.

What makes you think this thread will end any differently?

Nothing has changed.

Ian

#294431 - 09/26/10 02:53 AM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
Ian
AMEN to that.

Here Eadith the first lesson.

Gilbert.

#294432 - 09/26/10 05:39 AM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Genny,

Your recent postings remind me of an archer who always manages to hit the target, by shooting first, and then calling whatever he happens to hit, the target.

Bottom line is that this topic will have no conclusion, until someone from Yamaha marketing confirms or negates the speculations, assumptions, and musings being posted.

Many of us can recall similar hypotheses and theories being posted back when the Tyros, Tyros2, Tyros3 were launched.

Yet, Tyros4 remains at 5 octaves.

What makes you think this thread will end any differently?

Nothing has changed.

Ian

Dear Dear Iana. So you did not like that colouring book? Here is another book. It was made by Yamaha see if you like this one. If not you can go back to fingerpainting.
We the people will continue to talk about the logical reasons for Roland, Korg, Ketron and Lionstract for making a 76 key good arranger. You can continue to colour in your Yamaha colouring book.

------------------

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 09-26-2010).]

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 09-26-2010).]

#294433 - 09/26/10 06:11 AM Re: Is the arranger market very fragmented?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Dear Dear Iana. We the people will continue to colour...in your Yamaha colouring book.

"Dear dear?" Oh Genny, I didn't know you cared ...but, you best get yourself under control as my girlfriend will get jealous.

She loves reading your posts...you remind her of her dear sweet Mum.

And yes, continue to do what you do best.

We're countin' on it.

Ian

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online