SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#294025 - 09/21/10 07:15 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Vocal sounds were showcased early on in the demos, because,(if you had been reading Yamaha forums like YPKO), there were a lot of requests for scat and vocal sounds.

We'll see more demos featuring the many other sounds and styles of the Tyros4...don't base you assessment of this instrument just on early demos.

Look at the G-70...it's early demos were pitiful, until the OS was upgraded...twice I believe.

The Tyros4 sounds great out of the box...and why shouldn't it?

No one wants to spend a month or more trying to make an instrumenty sound good, no matter if they are 40 or 80.

I want an instrument that sounds great when I first plug it in...I also want to be able to customize it to my liking.

The Tyros delivers on both fronts.

Ian

#294026 - 09/21/10 07:20 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
zuki Offline

I happen to love the scat voices, but then again, I just had another birthday

Hey, don't use them if you don't want and I agree totally with everything Beaky said.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57 studio

#294027 - 09/21/10 07:38 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

I just don't get Yamaha's priorities... First, Uilleann Pipes on the T3, now scat voices on the T4, all the while ignoring the drums (or paying them lip service). I don't know about you, but I use drums on every single song I do, but Uilleann Pipes on ONE song, and scat voices on none. And I'd be prepared to say that the vast majority of us here are the same...

Yamaha is clearly looking after a different market/clientele, than you, Diki.

The average Tyros buyer is retired, fairly well off, usually coming from an organ or accordion background, or perhaps played synths or combo organ in a band.

Yamaha isn't looking for your business at all.

You need to wait for something by Roland or Ketron...it might be a long wait...of course, you're prepared to wait...you're content with your two G-70's.

You really have no use for most of what's on a Tyros...do you do a lot of Ballroom, Country, Swing/Jazz for instance? Is a polished pop style, or ballad part of your repertoire?

Plus, you don't like a compressed or polished sound, which is the hallmark and a major selling feature of the Tyros (and PSR) instruments.

Yes, the drums on the T4 are vastly improved (from what I've been told), but the overall sound is still "Yamaha"...a sound you don't like very much.

You need 76 keys...Tyros has 61.

Focus on the brands that will give you the sound you are looking for or need, or more accurately, want...don't waste time berating a company who prides itself on it's refined and balanced sound, and who looks after clients far different than you.

All the rhetoric you can muster will not change the good ship Yamaha's course..it is already set, and the destination is, and always was, a profitable one...you're better off spending your time campaigning Roland to make something that would be more suitable for your needs/wants/purposes/style.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-21-2010).]

#294028 - 09/21/10 07:58 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
+1...

I spent a small fortune for a CDROM for my K2500 of Take 6 samples. FAR better than these on the T4. But they VERY quickly turned into a gimmick, once the novelty wore off. I've got vocal scat sounds on the G70 comparable to the T4 scat sounds. Once again, after the first few months, I hardly ever use them.

I just don't get Yamaha's priorities... First, Uilleann Pipes on the T3, now scat voices on the T4, all the while ignoring the drums (or paying them lip service). I don't know about you, but I use drums on every single song I do, but Uilleann Pipes on ONE song, and scat voices on none. And I'd be prepared to say that the vast majority of us here are the same...

+1

Exactly my thoughts.

#294029 - 09/21/10 10:14 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, Ian, that's a rapidly diminishing demographic they are marketing these things to. It won't be long before all the 'home organ' players are in the ground, and then who does Yamaha go after? Better to position themselves for a market segment with a bit more longevity, IMO...

Weird how popular Korg's and Ketron's are with exactly the same demographic that Yamaha appeal to, despite being chalk and cheese in the sound department, too. Who knows, perhaps things aren't QUITE so cut and dry as you like to make out..? I admit, if ONLY Yamaha's sold, a lot of what you say would make sense. But much of it, you have to pretend that Korg, Ketron, Roland, and any other arranger manufacturers don't exist AT ALL or the logic completely falls apart.

BTW, it's flattering you like to address these rebuttals at me in particular, but on a thread where the majority opinion is similar to mine, how about addressing ALL of us?

#294030 - 09/21/10 10:17 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
I believe their mindset is providing keyboards for the elderly retirees, who at least have the advantage of such poor memory retention that the scat voices might NEVER get tiresome!

Perhaps one of the Yamaha software third party guys can invent a program that automatically replaces all the overdone vocals on the styles with less gimmicky sounds... Otherwise I envision lots of late night sessions editing all your styles by hand!

Thank God they didn't come out with an SA2 Kazoo!

Diki, I actually DID that on Roland Scatswing. I traded the Scat "drums" for another set and got an excellent Swing pattern.
As mentioned, you can use the Scat voices about once a night, if appropriate for the audience.
DonM

#294031 - 09/21/10 10:27 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
Diki Offline

Careful, Don. Don't disagree with Ian...

His head will spin, his eyes will bulge, and all logic and reason will go out the window!

#294032 - 09/21/10 11:03 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Careful, Don. Don't disagree with Ian...

His head will spin, his eyes will bulge, and all logic and reason will go out the window!

I'm still waiting for you to disappear up your butt again...

Now that's a trick...

Ian

#294033 - 09/21/10 11:10 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
Diki Offline

QED...

#294034 - 09/21/10 11:44 PM Re: Tyros 4 Exclusive
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Thing is, Ian, that's a rapidly diminishing demographic they are marketing these things to.

No, it isn't "rapidly diminishing"...Yamaha's Tyros sales have increased with each new iteration?

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-22-2010).]

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online