SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#293927 - 09/21/10 11:52 AM Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Some say this is the unofficial Earth, Wind and Fire Day.

Anyone know why?

R.

#293928 - 09/21/10 12:01 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's a line from 'September' by EWF.

"Do you remember the 21st night of September?"

Google doesn't seem to show many people celebrating it, though... Maybe that's because 'Celebration!' is a Kool and the Gang holiday

#293929 - 09/21/10 12:01 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Hi Russ,

I think it has to do with this:

The accelerating consequences of the warming Earth, the hazards associated with increasing reliance on fossil fuels, the promise of big clean energy projects, and the difficulties in advancing a national climate and energy policy fit for the 21st century came into sharp focus today in Washington and across the nation.

Continue reading here:
http://blog.usclimatenetwork.org/administration/earth-wind-and-fire-on-day-of-onrushing-risks/

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#293930 - 09/21/10 12:41 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
captain Russ Offline

Well thought out, Taike, but our man Diki "hit it on the head". Probably a close call to decide which one of us played this tune more times. My favorite current version is by a group called Pomplamoose...two kids experiencing major success by marketing themselves and their music on-line.

Great tune, and good catch, Diki, from now on to be known as "major pop music history/trivia guru"!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-21-2010).]

#293931 - 09/21/10 02:00 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
Dnj Offline

I always liked "TOWER OF POWER" better then EWF myself..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PWHQSBEvZM

Rocco Prestia on Bass OMG!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5txk-Y9EM&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-21-2010).]

#293932 - 09/21/10 02:35 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
captain Russ Offline

Like them both, but today, it's "the 21'st night of September"!

R.

#293933 - 09/21/10 02:50 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Like them both, but today, it's "the 21'st night of September"!

R.

So Russ hows things, I agree TOP/EWF are two amazing groups making super music ...hope all is well on your end?...Summer is over, get ready for the holiday season..

Take care

#293934 - 09/21/10 03:37 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Where I come from, summer IS the holiday season..! And, thanks to BP, it didn't arrive this year

Let's hope next year we can entice all the people that went to the East Coast instead of the Gulf to return to our beautiful pristine (still) white beaches and emerald waters...

#293935 - 09/22/10 12:46 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
captain Russ Offline

Donny, sound score work is way up, due to film contracts with one major customer; an automobile manufacturer.

The contracts are for completed video, and the scores for the projects are a relatively small part of the overall work. Glad for the video work, and the ability to provide an original score is the icing on the cake.

If things work out, Rory will participate in one of these productions next year. He'll come to Lexington for a week in the first quarter.

The downs: My son got mugged and injured on the job: My friend and widow of a long-time friend will have her home condemned and will face a competency hearing this week. I'm the only one willing to be her guardian. If that doesn't happen, she'll be a ward of the state.

The "UP'S":Chas, Taike and I are working to provide education for a deserving Monk in Laos.

Musically, I'm seeing a little fall-off on my "during the week" jobs. That's because my "house" job is a private club, where I don't have the contacts for potential jobs I did when I played more public places. I signed a three-year contract to do 100 jobs a year and am in the 3rd year. I did that because they bought a digital Yamaha Grand as part of the deal (I would not play the old piano they had and, sometimes didn't have the time to move equipment in an out to make a later gig). I'll probably take an early 5-8:00PM job at a popular restaurant in January to correct that.

My trio; my grandson on drums and my son on bass, is playing more. we're now being called by the "A" list people....horse farms, city governments, etc. Getting repeat work, which is a good sign.

The damage to my left hand as a result of being cut during a robbery is not healing well, and is causing me to re-think, and in some cases, re-learn a lot of playing techniques and materials. Surgery is suggested, but may put me out of the business permanently. I'm putting that off as long as I can stand the pain and the mechanical limitations.

Didn't expect a "thesis", did you?

Short answer? Life goes on; I'm fine.

Thanks for asking. Sounds like you're doing good, too!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 09-22-2010).]

#293936 - 09/22/10 01:08 PM Re: Unofficial Earth,Wind and Fire Day?
Dnj Offline

Russ thanx for the synopisis.I hope all goes well for you on all counts....and get well too we need ya out there in the trenches!!

stay well

Donny

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online