SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#293637 - 09/18/10 07:53 AM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can't really compare them unless you have played both for a fair amount of time.
I love the Audya. I haven't even listened to most of the T4 demos, because the only way I would want to buy one would be after I tried it in person. What little I've heard seems to be a little better than previous incarnations.
I fear Yamaha has not yet improved the drums enough. I could be wrong. They SAY they have improved the vocal harmonizer but I haven't heard it, much less tried it. To make a comparison between a board with which I've spent hundreds of hours and one I've only heard on a few demos and that is not even available yet would be fruitless and unfair to both.
Bear in mind that I want to sound like a live small combo, not a full-fledged music production, at least most of the time.
I have found my Audya to be almost flawless and the Operating System to be easy to use and more logical than the Yamaha. Maybe not as logical as Roland, but close. And it is miles ahead of Roland as far as PC connectivity and outboard storage.
The one thing I would welcome most would be the OTS system of either Roland or Yamaha, with all the great lead sound presets they come up with.
DonM

#293638 - 09/18/10 07:56 AM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
And it is miles ahead of Roland as far as PC connectivity and outboard storage.
The one thing I would welcome most would be the OTS system of either Roland or Yamaha, with all the great lead sound presets they come up with.
DonM

Don can you elaborate more on the PC connection and the OTS structure? athese are definitly things perspective buyers want to hear about including myself.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-18-2010).]

#293639 - 09/18/10 08:07 AM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Sorry, but regardless of sound,it doesn't have 76 keys. I want a keyboard that I can play as a piano & do all the arranger stuff too. Yamaha drums are not as live as Audya.
I read a comment that said " nobody can hear the difference" and that simply is not true.

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 09-18-2010).]

#293640 - 09/18/10 08:11 AM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well you just plug in the USB cable and the PC sees it as a drive. Also you can play files directly from one or more of the thumb drives without loading to HD. As you know with the Roland you had to put everything in a special folder without option to use subfolders. The new Ketron system is very similar to the later Yamahas in this regard.
As to OTS, as used by Yamaha and Roland, Ketron has none preset from the factory. It does have numerous Programs for each voice bank and you can build your own or use a voice list in which you can store sounds or programs. It also has a second Registration system (Block as opposed to Single) which allows instant access to most anything you want to put there, on one page.
I much prefer the directory system on Audya.
Too many banks and layers on Yamaha, at least for the way I use it, which is of course what matters to me.
You can't compare the new OS on Audya to any of the older Ketron systems. It is a totally new approach. The Midjay came closest to it.
DonM

#293641 - 09/18/10 09:23 AM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
This is starting to sound like a broken record but here you go, same old crappy drums from what I heard on the demos. Sorry I don't own an Audya but I still have my sd-1.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 09-18-2010).]

Tom

#293642 - 09/18/10 09:36 AM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I have to agree, I would take Ketron X1 over a T4 anyday just because of the styles. The right hand voices on the Yamaha are probably some of the best out there but the styles just don't cut it. It's too bad, I owned a T2 and s900, which I sold just to go back to a Ketron SD5 just because of the styles.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 09-18-2010).]

#293643 - 09/18/10 10:42 AM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So LIVE band sound allegedly..vs..
CD Quality orchestra Sound......but the bottom line no matter how you twist it
IT'S STILL AN ARRANGER KB ...both sound great....both enthrall an audience.....both make people buy them, & enjoy playing them so in essence there is NO Right or Wrong answer .....only separate opinions that will NEVER change!.......then to throw a wrench into the fray you have the Roland G70 affectionatos who love a 10 year old unit that in their eyes blows both out of the water?....weird eh?.....what does it all mean?.....nobody will ever know.....
at lest the TYROS has 61 keys.. For the "everyday" gigging musician Yamaha wins hands down all around.

This song says it all....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoUSrtw6gJs&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-18-2010).]

Donny, you are rushing too much again....the Best keyboard (G70) is only 5 years old..

If Yamaha allowed the Tyros to be updated from the start..maybe we would be talking about an 8 year old keyboard...with the same features as the Tyros4....Other manufacturers have it right...

#293644 - 09/18/10 01:36 PM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
Machetero Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida, USA
My 2 cents:

1- I don't think that T4 (T3-T2) styles are bad; to the contrary I think that they are the best. The issue with Yamaha styles are no the styles by themselves; If you put the drums of the Audya on those they will be even better.
I think that the Audya styles need more orchestral sounds. Some times they are drums/bass dominated.

2- I found the Audya easier to use than the T4.

3- For giging, no question that the Audya is more adequate because the Audio Drums. They produce a more lively play.

4- For home use and for musicians over 50, no question that the T4 is a bigger atraction. For that reason it dominated that segment of the market. Older audience are usually more sensitive to "loud" music. Add to that OS stability and customer support.

5- Right hand sounds (SA sounds) on the T4 are excellent, better that the ones that we found in the Audya.

6- A big advantage of the T4 is big amount of styles available (factory and 3rd parties). There are a lot more after market tools available for the T4 that for any other arranger, to create styles.

7- If I will purchase a Yamaha keyboard, it will be the PSR-S910 and no the T4. More value for the money and almost same features.

#293645 - 09/18/10 02:19 PM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Donny, you are rushing too much again....the Best keyboard (G70) is only 5 years old..

That's bull poo Fran...the G-70 is just the best keyboard for YOU, and maybe two or three others here on SZ.

It ain't the best keyboard for me, Donny, Steve, Genny (the little sweetie) and quite a few more.

The BEST keyboard is the one that meets the needs of the player, and in my case, right now, it is the PSR-S910, which is not even a TOTL arranger, but for MY purposes, absolutely blows away a portly, old and fewer featured G-70.

If the G-70 was the best at everything, we'd all have one...but it ain't.

Neither is Tyros (in all it's iterations), or the PSR, or any of the Korgs, or the Audya.

It's been said here many times, "There is no best, or perfect arranger"....but there can be an arranger that is best at meeting a player's needs"

If the G-70 meets your needs so well, why are you always buying something you can take to certain gigs instead of it?

It meets Diki's needs so well, he bought two of them...much like Gary D with his two PSR-3000...I'm surprised, since you gig so often, you don't have two G-70's, because eventually you're not going to be able to get parts, and you will need to cannibalize one them to keep the other running...and I'm sure, since it is the best for your needs, you probably will want to use it as long as possible.

The G-70 is the best in your eyes...but, be realistic, and consider the many other "bests" out there before you make such blanket statements.

Ian

#293646 - 09/18/10 02:29 PM Re: Audya owners what are your Impressions of the New Tyros 4 ?...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And, if those that like the T4 weren't so vocal about IT being the 'best' arranger out there, responses like Fran's would be rarer.

This forum is ALL about 'push and shove', as, to be honest, ANY forum is likely to be when it is about hardware, rather than music (and even on forums about that, there is a certain amount of contrary 'opinion' ).

But you can't be selective in your criticism of the use of the word 'best', Ian. Start contradicting Yamaha fans (or at least pointing out THEIR error in using the word 'best') before you start contradicting others, Ian, otherwise it simply becomes just one MORE example of fanboy behavior.

Me, I think they ALL suck! The day I hear an arranger that actually sounds like (and behaves like) REAL musicians will be the first! I am an equal opportunity critic

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online