SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#293029 - 09/14/10 08:31 AM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I believe Korg will keep the same basic hardware, but add newer technology like Karma or whatever new stuff they've been working on (if they have anything new in development).

Anyone have any idea what else they could put on that is actually new?

Personally, I believe Korg will revamp/renew/refresh their best seller, the PA-800, before they introduce a new PA*Xpro.

Ian

#293030 - 09/14/10 08:36 AM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
DannyUK Offline

I don't think trading "internal" styles is a bad thing at all, if anything, if the styles are awesome enough that could possibly get the user thinking of getting the keyboard where they came from or maybe changing to that series instead. It also demonstrates where the keyboards strengths lie, eg, Korg have the best Unplugged styles & Ketron clearly have the best arranged Latin styles so I know for Latin I could always turn to Ketron (even though I have owned a Ketron before anyway), but even if I didn't I've heard enough converted Ketron styles to tell me what to expect from them.

[This message has been edited by DannyUK (edited 09-14-2010).]

#293031 - 09/14/10 08:42 AM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
Dnj Offline

Its kinda late to worry about making styles proprietary to one KB that's all in the past there are thousands floating around not to mention all teh aftermarket and custom made ones which by the way is a slightly used feature in most arrangers that everyone should be learning how to do anyway! After all you paid for these features but hardly use them right?....
new styles .....Old styles,... who cares will they make you play better? btw this sausage and egg sandwich on a hard roll is delicious..

#293032 - 09/14/10 03:21 PM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
They won't make you PLAY better... but they'll sure make you SOUND better, or at least not as repetitive, and that might help you fight your own staleness.

I mean, let's face it. If new styles were widely available, and at least as good as your current ROM styles (they don't HAVE to be as good as the next generation model - as good as your CURRENT ROM styles is pretty damn good), most of the 'old model fatigue' would disappear. And sounding fresh is probably the main reason any of the 'every new model' upgraders buy each new model. IMO, the style itself, FAR more than any new lead sound or minor OS improvement, is the majority contributing factor to a sense of improvement when we hear these new models.

Be honest, if ONLY new lead sounds and a few OS changes came out on a new model, who would buy it? But a slew of new, well produced styles, and we are like kids in a candy store!

#293033 - 09/14/10 04:06 PM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
Diki Online   content

BTW, before this issues gets muddied by talking about translations and user styles, let's at least acknowledge that they, on the whole suck compared to the best ROM styles.

The reason we need protected style formats is so that the manufacturers THEMSELVES, as well as talented commercial third party style houses can return to making styles of the quality you get in the ROM pack. So this is not only going to benefit third parties, but the manufacturers that some seem to assume this is NOT in their best interest. To be honest, I would be unsurprised to see a manufacturer actually making MORE profit by selling three YEARS (at least) of monthly ROM quality styles securely to users of their arrangers, than the modest profit (one time) from the sale of a new arranger (and someone else buys the used older arranger, so no sale at ALL to that guy!)

Remember when styles came on a ROM card you put in your arranger? They sold a BOATLOAD of those (when they were any good!). Yet managed, somehow, to stay in business. Didn't stop people from buying the new model...

But, it is becoming all too apparent, without protected style delivery, our choices have all but completely dried up for QUALITY styles (not naff translations or even naff-er user styles). This needs addressing, in the worst way...

#293034 - 09/14/10 05:10 PM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
to the genesys Offline

For good or bad Diki, Yamaha arranger players are attracted to Yamaha because of the many available translations and user styles for Yamaha and they feel those styles are sufficient for their needs.

And, as much as we like to think styles drive persons to get a new arranger, let us not discount the fact that persons buy a new arranger just to have something new.
Also, some persons buy a new keyboard for a combination of things. For example, some one who has the T3 of XS would upgrade to the T4 or XF for the styles yes but also for the improved sounds, additional hardware features (flash memory XLR mic input) and some OS features that they find they would like.

#293035 - 09/14/10 05:31 PM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
Korg has announced a PA800 Elite, which is a PA800 with an 80 gig hard drive and a MP3 dual player built in, around a $400 savings if added separately.

This usually means they are going to try to get a little more time out of the current product before bringing in something new.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#293036 - 09/14/10 05:47 PM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
Diki Online   content

Sorry, genesys, but I am POSITIVE that, if high quality styles were still being offered for sale (like they used to be), Yamaha users (and everybody else, too) wouldn't be all that interested in naff translations and wanky user styles! Those are only sufficient for their needs because they have NO alternative...

And, I guarantee this, too... a new arranger with NO new ROM styles, but better OS and a few more lead sounds (remember, at best you rarely get more than 10% new sounds in a new arranger) will die a quick death. But a new arranger with the sounds and OS of the previous model, but secure style delivery and a promise to offer thirty or even many more new styles of the same high quality as the ROM styles EVERY MONTH for sale will dominate the market...

#293037 - 09/14/10 06:10 PM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
Korg has announced a PA800 Elite, which is a PA800 with an 80 gig hard drive and a MP3 dual player built in, around a $400 savings if added separately.

This usually means they are going to try to get a little more time out of the current product before bringing in something new.

Exactly what they did with the PA1XPro, about 6 months prior to the release of the PA2XPro.

This could be even more "evidence" of something in the wind from Korg...Not that I am interested I already have my set, and I ma happy with that

#293038 - 09/14/10 09:40 PM Re: Is Korgs TOTL Arranger Really Out Next Year
Lucky2Bhere Offline

It seems to me that if Ketron products are hitting the US market just now, and the Tyros 4 is on it's way, then if Korg had a PX3A Pro almost ready they would put out some kind of advertising to snare those who are ready to buy. I know I, myself, would consider waiting a bit to see what they come out with if they'd only come up with even a hint.

I called Korg last week and they advised me the PX2A is selling like hot cakes, and that they have no plans on retiring the board, but that also they have no plans for replacing it. Then again, what does a Korg rep know...they just work there!

Lucky

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online