SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#292857 - 09/15/10 08:49 PM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Robbo:

Ian, can you explain then why the Tyros, even the 4 will only have the CVP sampled piano instead of the grand samples in the Motif XF, and also why did the Tyros have extra ram when there were never any delivered samples such as in the free ones for the Motif series.
Also the price difference between the models suggests that the Tyros should be a far superior beast with a combination of all aspects of Motif and Tyros but it's not and never will be.

No, I can't explain why because I don't know.

I never compare Tyros with Motif...different animals, and different markets.

Ian

#292858 - 09/15/10 10:38 PM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
Rich Z Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Wrong again.

It has EVERYTHING to do with what the customers want...the majority want 61 keys...there are not enough indicated in extensive surveys to warrant a 76'er.

The DGX instruments are pianos with some arranger features...they are meant to compete with Casio. They do very well at what they are designed for, which is primarily, a home digital piano with some goodies.

No divisional rivalry...that's long gone by the wayside, and only was really happening way, way back with the CVP Clavinova and the Electone division, an odd pair of combatants, but true nevertheless.

That was settled long ago.

The arranger division and the pro workstation division have been working together quite nicely ever since the days of the PSR-8000/9000/9000Pro, and even more so with the introduction of the Tyros arrangers.

So, don't give yourself another breakdown, and just feel confident that every thing is hunky dory.

No more conflicts, except for the ones you are inventing.

You do a lot of that on SZ...why?

Unhappy with yourself?

What's really amusing, is that you (and Genny) believe you are smarter at marketing than a whole team of well chosen and highly educated experts, many of which are pro musicians. They aren't just "suits"...they know the industry from many angles.

Get those big egos down to a manageable size, guys...I'd hate to have to buy hats for both of you...the amount of material alone would be outrageous, to fit over those swelled heads.

And look up the word "NO" in your little dictionaries...you haven't grasped the meaning at all.

Ian

LOL!!! I'm sorry to laugh out loud, but that is probably the funniest and most outstanding case of the pot calling the kettle black that I have ever seen in my entire life.

Perhaps I might not know the meaning of the word "NO" when it applies to something I personally want (and yes, I DO want a 76 key Tyros 4, however was never approached by the omniscient Yamaha marketing research army), but quite honestly, I no know the term "blowhard" when I see someone engaging in such a grandiose fashion in public.

It's pretty obvious you have never run your own business, had to deal with marketing, and never had your ass on the line trying to figure out how best to be successful against competitors. That the way you COMPETE is by offering potential customers what they WANT, not what YOU want them to have. Again, any company saying "NO" to their potential customer base is just down right stupid to the nth degree.

And when Yamaha marketing calls you in for words of wisdom from you, please tell them that I, for one, would buy a Tyros 4 in a heart beat if it were a 76 keyboard. Right now I am waiting to see what Korg offers, but had they come out with what I want, they would have my order on their desk right now. I am also looking at the Audya, but it was so slow coming to market that I'm afraid it is pretty much obsolete coming right out of the box. Any keyboard using IDE drives and USB 1 is woefully behind the times in technology.

But back to Yamaha. It probably never dawned on them that perhaps people are buying the 61 keyboard Tyros simply because they are "settling" for what Yamaha is offering instead of "getting" what Yamaha thinks they want. They are likely interested in the features (styles and voices) and willing to overlook the shortcomings of that short stuff keyboard in order to get them. They are compromising between what they WANT and what they can GET from Yamaha. Perhaps they made the Tyros 4 outstanding enough in that above mentioned features that more will toss aside their WANTS and settle for 61 keys. Maybe that is their strategy. Heck, EVERY release of a product is an experiment in marketing to see if it really sells or not. The experiment is to see how much of the target market says "NO" to their offering.

#292859 - 09/15/10 11:09 PM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Z:

Perhaps I might not know the meaning of the word "NO" when it applies to something I personally want (and yes, I DO want a 76 key Tyros 4, however was never approached by the omniscient Yamaha marketing research army), but quite honestly, I no know the term "blowhard" when I see someone engaging in such a grandiose fashion in public.

Calling me names says more about what you are, than it does me, and you obviously haven't looked in a mirror lately....pretty scary, Ricky.

I will not respond in kind, as I have no intention of lowering myself to your level, which appears to be a tad below pond scum.

As for your obvious ignorance...it looks quite natural on you, and you wear it well.

Ian

#292860 - 09/16/10 03:42 AM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Let's atart again, and please ignore the 61 vs 76 debate...the Tyros4 has 61 keys, like it or lump it.

It also has all these great features, that Donny had [posted at the beginning of the thread.

Hardware
Double Wave Memory 512Mb ROM
Faster processor - So it's faster in navigating and tighter in sound
Flash memory - instead of the DIMMs
VH2 - new vocal harmony technology and Synth Vocoder
XLR Mic input
Software
Slightly changed Organ Flutes GUI with the inclusion of a Euro type
Drum Mixer - make and balance your own Drum Kits
Wave Cycling - For vocals
New Vocal Harmony Interface
'Ambient' Sampling
Improved SA2 voicing technology with additional layer.
SA2 Voices in Styles

Content
Better Pianos - Using CLP technology including Key off and Damper samples.
new Strings - 70 piece Seattle Symphony Orchestra Mega.
new Orchestral Brass - highly dynamic
new Tuned Percussion - Glock, Xylo, Marimba and Vibes (with motor on)
new Mega guitars - telecaster with Finger and Plectrum
new Drums - Real Brushes and Real Drums plus 4 Dance Kits
SA2 Celtic Violin
SA2 Jazz Violin
SA2 Ballad Soprano Sax
SA2 Pop Soprano Sax
new Organs - Vox continental and Wersi Helios included
new Synth Voices - from Motif XF
new Classical Choir - Men and Boys Choirs. Very expressive with the ambience of the Cathedral
new Gospel Choir - Various articulations and Ad libs
new Pop Vocals - 4 session singers, 2 male and 2 female.
Singing many dynamics and many articulations. Wave cycling enables this to work

500 styles, many completely new.
All styles upgraded with new voices including SA2 voices.

plus more...

the sound is the biggest upgrade we have ever offered.

It appears it has been shown in the US already.
http://www.ocala.com/article/20100915/articles/100919797&tc=yahoo?tc=ar

The sound quality of the video is pretty bad.

It was seen at Yamaha Canada headquarters last month, and it was a real mind blower.

I hope to have one here before Christmas, and more hopefully, at the end of October or early in November.

Ian

They forgot one very important feature. Etra 15 keys.
How could they over look that.

#292861 - 09/16/10 04:12 AM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
They forgot one very important feature. Etra 15 keys.
How could they over look that.

Imagine.

They forgot.

Good thing for you they did, or you'd have to buy one.

You know what would be really funny, Genny? If they made a Tyros 76'er shortly after the T4 was on the market.

Then we'd see if any of the moaners, weepers, and tire kickers here would actually buy one.

Talk is cheap.

Ian

#292862 - 09/16/10 04:38 AM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Imagine.

They forgot.

Good thing for you they did, or you'd have to buy one.

You know what would be really funny, Genny? If they made a Tyros 76'er shortly after the T4 was on the market.

Then we'd see if any of the moaners, weepers, and tire kickers here would actually buy one.

Talk is cheap.

Ian

Well may be the new S series will have 76 keys. Or they could upgrade the DGX series to a MOTL arranger.

I know I would buy it if it had the pro features on it. At lease I would not have to carry the Motif xs and Genesys module on a gig to have arranger and 76 keys. Or for those lay-back gig just the XS that has minimal arranger features.

#292863 - 09/16/10 05:10 AM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Well may be the new S series will have 76 keys. Or they could upgrade the DGX series to a MOTL arranger.

Personally, I don't think they'll bring out a 76 note PSR-S-series.

The DGX will not change to something approaching MOTL arranger specs (like the S-series) unless Casio go with 4 variations/style, and add some more features.

Casio is the DGX's competition.

You know Genny, it's strange. We have a very lucrative and very busy arranger market here in Atlantic Canada...it has been that way since the early PSR and Roland E-series.

Yet, when some dealers took in Roland G-70 and E-60, they only sold one of each, and the latter is still resting at the back of one of the stores, unless some employee took it home.

The G-70 was traded in on a pair of lighter PSR's or a Tyros2 (I can't remember which one) and ended up on EBay.

If 76 note model arrangers were so popular, why don't the dealers in my district bring in Korg PA2Xpro? They have the Korg line of workstations that sell very well, and some of their digital pianos, but they shy away from their 76-note arrangers.

Why?

The PA2XPro is a better/newer arranger than the G-70 and of course, the E-60.

The dealers have seen/heard, and some have even tried the Korg product at the NAMM shows, yet they want Yamaha Tyros and MOTL PSR (again, this is in my region).

Of course, we promote the product vigorously, but Korg could do the same.

Still, they had a big demo night (well attended) of the G-70/E-60 and that didn't seem to help, and rather than buy a 61-note E-50, the customers went with an S-series that offered more features, and great support.

It would be interesting to find out the percentage, or ratio, of PA2XPRO to PA-800 on the Korg forums.

Ian

PS...why haven't you bought a Korg PA2XPRO?

#292864 - 09/16/10 07:08 AM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:

I know I would buy it if it had the pro features on it. At lease I would not have to carry the Motif xs and Genesys module on a gig to have arranger and 76 keys. Or for those lay-back gig just the XS that has minimal arranger features.

I doubt a 76 Key S series and if they did I would definilty NOT buy one and keep what I have S910 for now.. until someone else makes some new 61 models...

#292865 - 09/16/10 07:33 AM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I'm in Sydney Australia and it is now Sep 17. Totally unfair that we Aussies have to wait an extra day.

#292866 - 09/16/10 08:22 AM Re: TYROS 4 Now I'm Excited!!!!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
OK,
My last comment on the 61 vs 76.
61 is great for most buyers of the arranger..Korg does sell more PA800's than PA2XPRO....BUT Ian...do not assume they don't sell many PA2XPRO's!

In the first place Korg sells LOTS of arrangers in the WORLD WIDE arranger market, sources say more than Yamaha, but who cares.. Most players in the MID -East buy Korg because of the sounds and features...and Korg even has a model just for them. Just go to Youtube and see who is playing Korgs.

I'm as sure of this as I am sure I am 61 years old...There is plenty of profit for Yamaha for a 76 key arranger! Plenty of people would buy it...NO...not as many as 61...but plenty. DO you think Korg, Roland etc are stupid...do you think they would sell 76'ers if there was not enough demand...and they don't profit from it..no!

It has to be that Yamaha management in Japan has made the decision to not build a 76 because of 1 of 2 things...PRO division does not want the competition...or they are making plenty of money on the 61 so why put any money into doing a 76. EVEN though a lot of customers would buy it.

Some here...might call it smart, just rake in the money and to hell with what some of us want (it's a lot more than just a few customers).

Let's say 75% of arranger players want only 61...why worry about the others...I'll tell you why...because those that buy competition strengthen the conpetition, help their bottem line R&D monet is there and the customers that buy from them tout the greatess of the product. Next thing you know more customers are buying the non-Yamaha 61's'

No company should ever think they are immune to competition taking a large slice of their pie...I worked for IBM for 30 years...it happened to them in the 90's. Do you know why it happened to them...the attitude of 'we will tell the customer what they need'! Competition are our lunch! 300,000 emplyees laid off, 17 plants closed. I survived until retirement in 96.

IBM thought they were impervious to anything...being so large and prospeous NOT!

US car buyers said we want quality...they gave us crap for years...we went Honda and Toyota..now they sre building quality again...but it's a long road back.

A company should give customers what they want..within reason. I do.

Lee S.

Page 12 of 15 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online