SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#292729 - 09/11/10 11:09 AM Mac versus Windows
Bachus Offline

I am soon due for a new PC... the thing is over 3 years old.

I am using my current windows machine for my software music setup, mostly ableton live, cubase and a broad range of VST's and its rockstable ....... Never had any crashes in over a year and overhere at home i only restart every few months... Next to music i use it for most of PC related stuff.

So Performance and stabillity are not an issue with windows...

What other reasons are there to switch to a Mac?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#292730 - 09/11/10 01:14 PM Re: Mac versus Windows
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Oh not again...and as of recently i think the differences i know best...i switched from Mac
to PC but i am talking about real Heavy Weight setups, in the few thousands$ range, not hundreds.
But again...not again...lol

#292731 - 09/11/10 02:19 PM Re: Mac versus Windows
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Traditionally, data management has been the domain of PC's. Graphics (right brained stuff) was the domain of the Mac. Our company had to have two set-ups, because, in spite of the hype, Macs and PC's didn't talk to each other without "glitches", and we did both research (left-brained stuff) and graphic design (right brained stuff).

Recent improvements make that less of a problem, and we're now having to "beef up" our PC capacity, because one big client is submitting graphic input created (and, now, with new software approaching the flexibility and innovation offered by pro level Quark) on PC's.

It's a changing world, but, for a while, at least, the "left-brainers" (linear thinkers-scientists, economists, etc.)are mostly PC users and "right brainers" (graphic artists, etc.) are Mac users. Strong efforts by PC manufacturers have convinced many film editors to use PC based editing software.

Change is constant. 15 years ago, I purchased the first Mac publishing suites at about $85,000.00 a pop. Now, even if you do world-quality work, $3500-4000.00, including pro software, will get it done. I used an AVID editing suite, which cost about $70,000.00, for all film (video, actually) until recently, when additional hard drive capacity and $1,000.00 in software gets equal-sometimes better results.

We just need to carefully determine what the the end product needs to be and TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT.

Russ (former hard-line Mac supporter) Lay

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online