SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#292521 - 09/08/10 10:08 PM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
Tony Hughes Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DannyUK:
Hello all,

Well I was playing on my T3 this evening as I usually do and under the light I was horrified to see the silver paintwork slowly starting to wear down in places!!! This is quite shocking considering I've only had it since Feb this year. I've had my KorgPA1x since 2005 and the paintwork on the front is in the same perfect condition as to when I bought it 5 years ago.

I am a bit dissapointed with this because I am absolutely meticulous about how I treat my items.

Anybody else have this trouble with any of the Tyros'?

Danny.

Danny,

It must be repeated hand movements across the KB surface, it is only plastic, someone said it was a plastic toy but we will pass on that one, tis will happen and I think you will find the plastic pellets may be even black underneath so beware. Can't you cover the area with film, it's not something you are wearing that is doing it like a big gold chain or rings. I bought a Audya I can't afford gold.
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#292522 - 09/09/10 10:22 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
DannyUK Offline

Hi Tony,

I did think about covering the area's of the kb that has the most use but I think even this would discolour the surface because it will leave a shadow if it's been there a period of time. I would need to cover the whole keyboard and that's not really possible.

Regards,
Danny

#292523 - 09/09/10 10:50 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
Morten Jonassen Offline

Loc: Danmark
I have got the exact same problem with my T2 – it doesn’t look good at all. I guess it depends on peoples composition of acids in their sweat.
When I buy new keyboards in the future, I’ll consider taking off the top coating it with nano-cover for plastic surfaces.

[This message has been edited by Morten Jonassen (edited 09-09-2010).]

#292524 - 09/09/10 11:13 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Machetero:
Silver (or gray) paint and variations have always issues with durability.

It has been known for years the issue.

Long time ago I read an article about the problem after my Honda have the same problem.

Most durable= black, blue and red.

In the automotive paint business...Silver and Light blue metallic..are nightmares...both in unexpected problems and color matches..

#292525 - 09/09/10 12:34 PM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
Dnj Offline

here is another solution.......

Magic Tool.....

paibnt it on the surfaces you most touch......peel it off when you dont need it anymore..
http://www.firemountaingems.com/beading_howtos/beading_projects.asp?docid=690N

#292526 - 09/09/10 12:59 PM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a friend with a PSR-2000 that has worn all the paint off the keyboard case surrounding the volume control. The reason behind it is that when he turns the volume knob, which is almost constantly, his fingernails are resting on the keyboard case. I repaired it with Krylon then put a thin, Lexan shield over the area for protection. Within two weeks he had scratched the Lexan cover to the point where it looked like it had been gouged out with a pocket knife.

Prior to me making the repairs, he swore his fingernails never touched the keyboard case when turning the volume knob.

Here's something many folks just don't think about. The reason that car door handles have shields behind them is because years ago, when they didn't have the shields the paint in that area quickly wore off. If you were to rub your finger on one specific area of your car 50 times a day, within a few months that spot would likely be worn down to bare metal.

From my perspective, keyboards, all keyboards, are built like tanks. I've seen every kind of player pounding on the keys, punching the buttons, hammering joy sticks, jamming pitch bend wheels and massaging touch screens. Some perform 5 to 7 days a week, several hours a day. Despite the abuse, the vast majority of those keyboards continue to function as good as they did the day they came out of the box. The big difference in appearance after a few years of gigging was dependent upon the owner and the way he or she operated their equipment. Some keyboards looked as if they had been dragged behind a truck with a length of chain and were just a few months old, while others that were several years old, and used ever day of the week, looked just as good as they did when it was shipped from the factory.

As for hand lotion, yes, this can have some effect on any finish--even stainless steel. But, when my hands were falling apart I had to use prescription hand creams and lotions extensively and it never damaged the finish on my PSR-3000s, 2000s, 740s or 5700s. I sincerely believe that abrasion is the culprit for any paint wear problems. And if your hand lotion is volatile enough to remove paint, I would think it would be disastrous to your hands. I could be wrong about this issue, but then again, maybe not.

Good luck, and I hope you are able to solve your problem,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 09-09-2010).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#292527 - 09/10/10 10:23 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
kingsman Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah,United St...
Someone talked about taking the top off their machine and spraying it with a clear spray. I think this would be agood idea as I was having the same problem of paint wearing off on my last keyboard.

Thanks!

#292528 - 09/10/10 10:24 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
kingsman Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah,United St...
By the way, I'm Greek and my skin is very oily and acidic.

#292529 - 09/11/10 05:26 AM Re: Tyros 3 - Poor Build Quality?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I've had Tyros, Tyros 2 and Tyros 3, and yes, the paint does wear thin in places that are touched a lot. That said, I have travelled on a plane with my various Tyros keyboards AT LEAST 100 times, and despite being thrown around, I've never had a problem...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online