SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#292300 - 09/08/10 10:52 PM Re: Movie Soundtracks - Mp3's
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
That's why studying 'arranging' rather than 'arranger playing' pays off in the end..

BTW, I must confess, I wish there were a different word for playing a 'found' SMF through a module to playing the arrangement yourself. It's something that happens all too often on this forum, possibly not deliberately by the poster, but still misleading. Unless told otherwise, I always assume that music posted done 'by' a member is actually their performance.

Is it possible that we could start to be a LOT more forthcoming about the source of our recordings? It would sure clear up a lot of confusion, and sometimes bad feelings, too

#292301 - 09/09/10 02:46 AM Re: Movie Soundtracks - Mp3's
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
[B]That's why studying 'arranging' rather than 'arranger playing' pays off in the end..
B]

That's what I've been saying all along. It's the arrangement that defines the main part of the finished product.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

#292302 - 09/09/10 03:01 AM Re: Movie Soundtracks - Mp3's
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
BTW, I must confess, I wish there were a different word for playing a 'found' SMF through a module to playing the arrangement yourself. It's something that happens all too often on this forum, possibly not deliberately by the poster, but still misleading. Unless told otherwise, I always assume that music posted done 'by' a member is actually their performance.

Is it possible that we could start to be a LOT more forthcoming about the source of our recordings?

Yep, I totally agree!

When I see "I played on" and "I had recorded", I'm immediately believing the poster actually performed (played, recorded) the music with their own hands.

I suppose "re-arranging" (or more accurately, in this case, "re-voicing") a midi-file is a "skill", but it should be made more clear, in the initial post, about the true origin of the file itself.

Ian

#292303 - 09/09/10 03:10 AM Re: Movie Soundtracks - Mp3's
Dnj Offline

James thanks for posting these......

great stuff....I enjoyed them all.

#292304 - 09/09/10 11:44 AM Re: Movie Soundtracks - Mp3's
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland

#292305 - 09/09/10 12:04 PM Re: Movie Soundtracks - Mp3's
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Fabulous stuff, James... Very atmospheric.

BTW, I was not in any way trying to impugn you, just merely making a general comment about something that happens here a lot, by many different people. I like Ian's suggestion about 're-voiced', and strongly suggest to the forum that we use this word... Any additions can be noted at that time (as in 'I re-voiced this, then added the french horns and replaced the strings', etc.), but it does seem fair to note when PLAYED music is not our own performance.

I'd even like to see this extended to arranger demos, too... as in 'I played the RH solo sounds, and my LH is doing the string pad' or whatever. Even though this is an 'Arranger' forum, personally, I am FAR more interested in what anyone actually PLAYED rather than what the machine played. That extends to Intros and Endings, too. We have all heard many a user demo that starts out sounding amazing, then after four or eight bars of carefully crafted Intro, the ugly truth rears its' head!

But, anyway, is it possible we can all agree to using 'I re-voiced this through a (insert gear of choice)' instead of 'This was played on a (ditto)' in future? It will help dispel a LOT of confusion...

#292306 - 09/09/10 12:35 PM Re: Movie Soundtracks - Mp3's
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi Diki.

Quote:
BTW, I was not in any way trying to impugn you

No, no, that's my fault for not bother my rear end to explain anything. To me they are just old junk files I found when cleaning out the server and before deleting them I thought people might like a listen.

So it's just me being lazy and not explaining anything because I don't have much interest in the files.

Quote:
I like Ian's suggestion about 're-voiced', and strongly suggest to the forum that we use this word

Yep I agree.

Regards
James

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online