SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#292171 - 09/06/10 06:32 PM Re: Don't try ths on your arranger...no..please do.
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Yes, of course she is using styles...controlled and changed by the registrations buttons. 16 are available. The Electones play Yamaha style files. Also you can setup your own sequences to change the registrations as you play...or you can use a knee bar or one of two switched mounted on sides the expression pedals, or just push the button.
There is some autoaccompanyment...but she is doing most of the playing.

I had next to the highest model Electone in 1987...most of these things were there then...this baby is designed for live play.

I sold mine because the MIDI implementation at that time was weak, AWM1 and FM were the sounds, and they were good but better was available, I wanted to add external tone generators and it just wasn't designed for it, and I kind of lost interst as I was looking for a new wife :-).

The thing is this is 2 manuals, pedals and all setup ready to go (If you don't want to play peadals it will do it for you just like an arranger) But the pedals are great for big bass, timpanys, and other percussion.

Sequence disks with music books are available, and they can play the whole song (just NIDI) , but watching her I think she is using sequenced styles and changes.

So, this is 2010, that came out in 2004..it would be very difficult for anyone to replicate that performance on any arranger with one 61 note keyboard. IMHO...I could be wrong, it happens a lot :-)

I have been pretty excited by it..as I had lost contact with the Electones since about 1990....Probably the only way I will get one is:
Get a divorce, move to Japan, seek out Stagea female owners, find a hot one, marry her and then...I can play the Stagea.

Lee S.

#292172 - 09/06/10 07:48 PM Re: Don't try ths on your arranger...no..please do.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
So, this is 2010, that came out in 2004..it would be very difficult for anyone to replicate that performance on any arranger with one 61 note keyboard. IMHO...I could be wrong, it happens a lot :-)

Lee, too bad you don't have a Yamaha. If you did I could provide the styles to do this on your 61 key keyboard. Lots of folks have--I'm just not one of them. I don't have that kind of talent in my aging fingers.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#292173 - 09/07/10 12:00 PM Re: Don't try ths on your arranger...no..please do.
leeboy Offline

Gary,
Thanks for the offer anyhow :-)

Lee S.

#292174 - 09/07/10 09:05 PM Re: Don't try ths on your arranger...no..please do.
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Guys.....thanks for the additional info. It takes more of the mystery out of her performance for me.

No one's answered......what's she doing with all that action in her left foot?

Lucky

#292175 - 09/07/10 11:50 PM Re: Don't try ths on your arranger...no..please do.
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:
Guys.....thanks for the additional info. It takes more of the mystery out of her performance for me.

No one's answered......what's she doing with all that action in her left foot?

Lucky

Playing the Bass Lines

Bill

#292176 - 09/08/10 09:39 PM Re: Don't try ths on your arranger...no..please do.
leeboy Offline

Bass AND percussion.

I use the 13 note Roland pedals with T2 and/or {PA2XPRO to play all kind of stuff especialy timpany and other percs. And you can use it for arranger functions as well (vars, breaks, fills, endings, next registration etc)
Unbeleivable power to have that 3rd keboard (up to 32 notes or more on some orgns)

Lee S.

#292177 - 09/08/10 10:07 PM Re: Don't try ths on your arranger...no..please do.
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The trick is, once you decide to play along with an SMF, all KINDS of things become possible, even on your one keyboard arranger. Yes, having a 76 is a bit of a plus, but I am sure that, as long as changing one sound on a Part doesn't cut off the previous one (love that about my Roland's), the sequence itself can do some VERY complex things to fairly basic playing. Add to that the ability to easily change Registrations (again, without cutting off played notes) or OTS settings with foot controls can eke amazing things out of your playing.

For instance, my G70 (hardly state of the art!) can stack up to SIX different Tones all on one note, all in different velocity ranges (if you want), has an extensive set of single Tones that are actually four-way splits (woodwinds, brass, strings, etc.), does seamless registration changes, without any sound glitches (if you are careful).

The thing is to get creative with HOW you play... For instance, drop the sustain pedal, and use sostenuto instead. Now you can hold pedal notes, high 'floaters' partial chords, open voicings, whatever, and then play 'normally' while they hold, and it doesn't turn to mush. Get VERY good at keeping your playing tightly inside a velocity range, and you can easily double or triple up what sounds you can play without touching anything at all...

A long time ago, I got my trusty K2500S and the Orchestral Board for it. There are a LOT of very well programmed setups that can make you into a virtual orchestra (Kurzweil's were pretty much the industry standard in orchestral mockups until VSTi's took over) by creatively switching sounds depending on touch or pedals. Most arrangers can get VERY close to the K's capabilities, and this, combined with the SMF adding in a few things you can't quite get to, or changing your sounds and setups while you keep playing, stuff like this is possible, IMO.

Trick is, though, getting the touch, the voicings, the approach to this full orchestral style down. Obviously, it's a lifetime's study to even begin to understand the orchestra, but select songs like this should be achievable if you have the technical chops.

Personally, I would have preferred to hear this organist perform an improvised piece on it rather than this VERY carefully crafted and worked out piece. After all, it's all well and good to pull this blockbuster out of your trick bag, but far more satisfying to be able to improvise in this style without pre-programmed registration changes and slavish following of an SMF.

Just don't put your arranger down... With work, you could achieve this, with more work, you can achieve even more. Add a MIDI keyboard to your arranger, double the possibilities. Add pedals, even more. Sky's the limit.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-08-2010).]

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online