SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#291926 - 09/03/10 01:58 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Spalding
Compare the specification of a Workstation and an Arranger, and you will find that the Workstation has more real time controls for on the fly use when playing live, whereas the Arranger is pretty much a pre-set instrument.

Home users want something easy to play, (Instant gratification) and real –time controls and in-depth editing have little relevance for most of them.
Pro users want as many real time controls and on the fly editing as possible, so that they can let their imagination run wild, and really spice up a live performance.

As you can see from the above, Arrangers and Workstations are completely different animals, and while there will always be some similarities, one cannot replace the other. (There is no one size fits all)

Regards

Bill

#291927 - 09/03/10 09:51 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Bill there is no denying they are different instruments. One can play backing accompaniments that follow your chords and can remix songs instantly the other cannot. i think that just about covers it ! (i am being cheeky mate dont get offended but in essence thats the truth if you hav any creative juices at all)

I am not making any point about the features that are different. I am making the point about the features that are common to the making of pretty much any keyboard based music you can imagine, and the features that are present that lend themselves to all kinds of possibilities for musicians who want to make music . Unfortunately i am starting to believe that a distinction should be made between a musician and someone that simply collects the next best keyboard and braggs about features they dont even know how to use fully in a musical sense, just bigger ram, more filters, more effects etc and never understand how it any of those features can be fully utilised musically which unfortunately is a real problem .

In fact it is the dominant factor that prevents many from using their imagination even to consider possible uses of the tools they already have both in the arranger and workstation world

look at this old demo of the G70 done by this older fella who has used his skills and knowldge of the instrument to put together this brilliant demo.

You cannot tell me , honest you cant :-) that even by todays standards this instrument does not have limitless possibilities ..

I only discovered this demo this morning. Roland would have sold a boat load more G70's if they had used this demo instead of the american ones on the roland site.

tell me what you think
http://www.sud-claviers.com/index.php/2008/09/17/168-g-70

thanks for debating with me everyone that joined in.

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 09-03-2010).]

#291928 - 09/03/10 10:00 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
Dnj Offline

Excellent Demo for two reasons the G70 is an awesome sounding arranger in the hands of a professional.. & secondly this guy is a fantastic player......no wonder Roland is in no rush to release a new TOTL arranger the G70 still sounds fantastic..!!!
No need for an Audya for him.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-03-2010).]

#291929 - 09/03/10 10:06 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
That was an excellent G-70 demo, Spalding, and certainly showcases the power and scope of the instrument.

First time I saw it as well.

Ian

PS...I can get much more done and done far more quickly using an arranger as opposed to a workstation.

#291930 - 09/03/10 10:07 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been watching this thread but haven't posted until now, because I finally took a look at the OP's video link of Jordon Rudess.

First, spalding1968, of course that could be done on pretty much any arranger, sans the goofy vocal stuff going on, unless the arranger was one of the more higher end units with sampling capabilities. Nothing special about it at all other than it was simply annoying. "Slow down and play some meaningful notes" is what was going through my mind the whole time. But I know that wasn't your point of posting so sorry.

Second, Diki, imitative? I understand what you are saying, but really; did you ever hear a harmonica bend notes in such a way? Not possible. Not to mention the only thing worse than a sax sound from a keyboard is a harmonica sound (from a keyboard or otherwise for that matter)

Finally, some people are just to hard-headed, blind to anything they don't own, etc. to be open minded about alternatives. Pity really, because there are some hybrid workstation/arranger instruments out there that could definitely be advantageous to certain musicians.

#291931 - 09/03/10 11:35 AM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
yeah WDMcM. Rudess is definately an acquired taste for sure ! But he might grow on you as he did me. As you have rightly said , what he did could be done on prety much any arranger and better with the sound pallet for real world instruments that arrangers have today. I know you get the point i have been trying to make.

Sorry could not help myself.

One more demo of thbe roland VA7

How did Roland manage to hide these incredible demos ????
http://www.sud-claviers.com/index.php/2007/06/02/18-roland-va-76

and before you shell out for tjhe Tyros 4 have a listen to the Tyros 2 in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing.
http://www.sud-claviers.com/index.php/2009/09/04/9-tyros-le-forum

#291932 - 09/03/10 07:48 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
OK, Question...what does an arranger have that a Kurzweil K2600X has not???
STYLES my friends...that's it, and Jordan does not need or want style playing. He can do it all without that feature. AND he usually has other players invoved including many guitar bangers and a top notch drummer.

Styles are way to limiting for him. He likes Karma, Arps, his own programmed loops etc.

Lee S.

#291933 - 09/03/10 07:58 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
OK, Question...what does an arranger have that a Kurzweil K2600X has not???
STYLES my friends...that's it, and Jordan does not need or want style playing. He can do it all without that feature. AND he usually has other players invoved including many guitar bangers and a top notch drummer.

Styles are way to limiting for him. He likes Karma, Arps, his own programmed loops etc.

Lee S.

Question?.....
What comes out September 17th, 2010?

#291934 - 09/03/10 08:26 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Spalding1968,
(T2 demo)
He is very talented and could make anything sound pretty good...but if you really liten to the sound...not so good. Everything kind of blends in together Had a T2. Nice instrument. Not what I'm looking for.
Great for the kind of music he is playing.

Lee S.

#291935 - 09/03/10 08:34 PM Re: jordan rudess arranger style
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
yeah WDMcM. Rudess is definately an acquired taste for sure ! and before you shell out for tjhe Tyros 4 have a listen to the Tyros 2 in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing.

Rudess is awesome...I really have grown to appreciate his work, especially with Dream Theatre.

Even the mid-range S910 can nearly equal a Tyros2/3, and is even more user friendly.

I love Yamaha's polished and refined sound.

That Roland demo is also excellent.

Ian

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online